Well, I Guess I Can't Ever Go to the Movies Again...

Discussion in 'Support' started by derpytia, Jul 18, 2014.

1. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      My boyfriend took me to the movies tonight since I haven't been since I got the T and I wanted to do so since I've been spending my days in almost quiet environments except for the fan and the fishtank and occasionally the TV. I brought my earplugs and wore them the entire movie (we went to see How To Train Your Dragon 2). I came home after eating dinner and such and now I'm lying here and I've gotten yet another even higher pitched tone that gets louder every 5 seconds for about 1 second. Before the tone started I felt a flutter that was in time with my pulse in my right ear only and it went away after like 3 seconds. I guess I'll never be able to go to the movies ever again if it will give me new tones. I now have four tones in my right ear where the T started and two in my left. I thought I was ready to enjoy life again with my earplugs. Guess not. I just wanted one night to have fun and I got repaid with this. So frustrating and depressing. I guess I wont have a normal life with T after all. :(

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. caffclifton
      Supportive

caffclifton Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis (Inner ear infection)
      Hey @derpytia I experienced something similar tonight. i went to my works garden party and found that when i came home my T was much louder! i think it was to do with all the people chatting and laughing. Its really stressfull
      :(

3. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      That's why I think that people with constant t are "blessed" compared to t that changes all the time and therefore in a much much better position to habituate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Mmmh. I do not really feel "blessed", although I have only one constant dog whistle in my head. But maybe it can be worse, although I cannot really imagine. BTW, movies, loud places etc. do not change my T.
      It is one awful tone, but it can go higher and louder. This is where it feels like electrostatic noise in my head.

• Genius Genius x 1
    5. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      This is what mine was like for 13 years. Not really a problem after habituating, I really could do anything I wanted without it changing. But since the now never-ending spike started 3 months ago, it's a different story. @Martin69 use earplugs and really try to stay away from sudden loud bangs (passing construction sites, tinkering with music/instrument equipment, and you should be fine!

@derpytia, I'm sorry about your setback. I've had spikes with additional tones added in and they always went away for me before. Hopefully yours will this time!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Philip,
      Really? You habituated to this tone? Amazing. You are maybe stronger than me.
      Or I need more time (9 months in). Sometimes I can ignore it, but it still bothers me a lot.
      Depression and anxiety is still there, although it goes down a little bit.
      I listened to your sound in the other thread. Very fluctuating, but not so high-pitched. Sound like a wind. But you say the real tone is higher.
      Interestingly, if I am in loud areas (musical, circus), my T goes down. I guess it is residual inhibition.
      And yes, I stay away from loud bangs - if possible.
      Take care and I hope for the best (for everyone here),
      Martin

• Like Like x 1
    7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Martin
      I was thinking more along a line of people who say they have had t for 10-15 years, never changes, never goes up and down.

I would think that something constant would be easier to habituate.

I listened to your sound on the other thread and no wonder you suffer, but don't loose hope, you sound really positive and I'm sure you will find peace in the soon future.

8. Philip83
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, the pitch is higher. It's the dogwhistle-"tone" that most people seem to have after noise induced tinnitus. It's just hard to mimic with software, and I didn't try that hard :)

9. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi valeri. No worry. I plan to habituate earlier than 10 years. But who knows?
      I have no choice. I have wife and kids.
      Yes. The pitch is awful. I think it can always be worse. But this is already horror.
      Prayers to everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Ah ok. So also a dog whistle, but fluctuating.
      Mine is constant, but cuts through everything. Sounds exactly like a dog whistle, ultra-high.
      Mine was not noise induced, but stress (fight or flight mode).
      Maybe mine was noise induced since I have two loud kids at home. :)

11. Philip83
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, i ment my long time one, since 2001, has been a stable dog whistle. But this new spike is additional similar-ish sounds, fluctuating on top.

12. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The worst part of going to the movies for me is before the show starts when they play the previews of upcoming movies. The volume is quite a bit louder than what the volume is during the movie.

This may not be the case in other areas or countries but it is here.

13. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      EARPLUGS...
      Invest in good ear plugs..

14. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      No earplugs can stop the loud, low bass frequencies. They go right through the skull. My T is proof.

15. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Sighs.... :wideyed:(n):grumpy: I am sorry to hear that..
      Well some protection is better than no protection.
      Can't always avoid simple pleasures of life..