Well Tinnitus Is Bulls%$t, Isn't It — Woke Up a Week Ago to High-Pitched Ringing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dan0415, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Dan0415

Dan0415 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everybody,

I feel somewhat silly posting within a two week period having seen some posts on here saying that people have been dealing with this for years.

I woke up a week ago last Friday with high pitched ringing in my right ear, it's now chosen to skip from ear to ear and when it feels really pleasant, it's in both ears.

My Dr (third Dr I've seen) has sent me for a hearing test which is tomorrow. I'm not sure what they will be able to tell but I guess I'll find out.

I'm pretty terrified that this is a life long issue, do things actually get any better with time? Is there anything anyone can recommend I ask my Dr?

I feel that I've got no escape at the moment and no idea how people do this for years, let alone for life.

Thanks for having somewhere to reach out,

Dan

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Fucking bullshit. Good thing treatments are coming our way, hopefully they work. Over time, tinnitus can get better for some. Don't lose hope. It's a tough battle but let's keep fighting.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. My tinnitus started years ago like yours, waking up one night to a high pitch scream that sent me to a total panic. Then severe hyperacusis also joined in the misery. Both T and H were just too much. When thet didn't go away I was in a mess and I asked the same questions like you don't. It was hell on earth for months and I never thought I could survive this. But today I live a normal productive and absolutely enjoyable life. I posted my success story and share some helpful strategies. Check it out. Don't despair. Try some masking to help in the meantime. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AlbertJ

AlbertJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis Media
      Hang in there @Dan0415. We are with you.

I am new to tinnitus as well and I can relate to you very much.
      As tinnitus is a symptom of an underlying condition, it is better to look for what is causing it. Most of the time, it really is caused by an acoustic trauma.

Have you exposed yourself recently to a loud noise? Do you have a history of ear, nose, or throat infection? Have you been stressed out the past months?

Warmest regards,
      Albert

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan0415

Dan0415 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

No noise cause that I can identify, and no history that I can remember.

Stress has been an issue as I've had a couple of health scares which have come back all clear, but they had been on my mind.

I had been a regular gym user using in ear headphones, mainly watching TV shows whilst I exercised.

Thanks for replying

6. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Welcome Dan! Although you'd probably have preferred not to be here, in a way.

To give a bit of hope: even when the sounds stay, life itself gets better again for many of us. I was in your situation half a year ago, and though I still hear six sounds on average, most of my days I'm a happy human being. Awareness of my T is slowly decreasing as the weeks progress. I still have occasional struggles of course, but I definitely enjoy life again.

Having said that: your case is even younger than mine. Fair chance your ringing will disappear again. Check if you can figure out its origin, but if not: then try to let it do its thing while you focus on your own daily tasks. I know it is a tough challenge, but don't give it more attention than necessary.

Read some success stories if you need hope, there is plenty of them :)

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise