Went to a New Therapist, Turns Out He Has Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luman, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I went to a therapist today, my first visit with him, for help with some issues that he specializes in. I mentioned that I have tinnitus, and he said he's had it for some 35 years.

Last October I went to an ENT, and he told me that he has it, as well.

It's nice to know such people who have overcome their tinnitus and the fact is, most people are able to habituate and not let it bother them.

There's millions of us, we're everywhere.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      When I first was bothered by this ringing and hissing in my ears I went to my doctor to find out what this problem was. He told me I had Tinnitus and it was very common. He informed me that he had it also. I had Vertigo at the end of October. That's when the Tinnitus hit me. I would wake up and have this hissing in my ears and head. But then it would go away. Once my Vertigo left it kept happening to me. I believe the Vertigo set it off. I told the doctor how bad it was bothering me. He ordered an MRI for me. The MRI didn't show anything pertaining to my Tinnitus. But it did show that I had several strokes. What is weird is that I find that nodding off brings on my Tinnitus and when I have the Tinnitus bothering me and I nod off it goes away. I am going to post a thread to see if this happens to anyone else. I have an appointment with an ENT at the end of this month.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, nodding off can set off tinnitus for me, or make it worse. Some say it is related to cortisol, but I don't know enough about it. I don't remember ever having tinnitus go away after nodding off, or sleeping, I always wake up with it although sometimes it's milder than other times.

That is interesting that you've had strokes, and didn't know it - they must have been quite mild.

4. The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      I have been doing great for the past 3 days. As long as I don't nod I seem to do well with my tinnitus. I happened to nod tonight after supper and now my T is here. If I didn't nod and went to bed I probably would still be doing good. But sometimes even if I'm doing good when I go to bed I will wake up early and my T will be there. I keep making myself go back to sleep and a lot of times I will will it away by sleeping. But sometimes it does not work that way. I started a new thread about nodding and sleeping. Please check it out. I was very surprised to find out that I had several strokes. The neurologist said they were mild and affected the part of my brain that doesn't control a lot of activity. I have changed my eating habits and started exercising.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As I posted in your thread, do not try to control your tinnitis, let it do what it does. The more we fight it, the more it will bother us because we are sending a signal to our brain that is interpreted as DANGER!

6. The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      I hear ya. I don't need any more DANGER in my brain. Several strokes in my brain is enough!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ironically, this therapist says that his T has never bothered him. He suspect that he got it from attending too many crazy-loud concerts in his younger days. It isn't mild tinnitus, either, Often, he can't tell whether the source of some of the sounds he hears in the office are tinnitus , or if they are coming from the heating system and/or other sources of noise. We should all be so lucky as to have no emotional, or otherwise bothersome, reactions to our tinnitus from day one. We'll get there eventually, it takes time and patience, but it happens.

8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Just having someone with the shared experience in a therapeutic role can make a big difference. Understanding is everything for us, and it is rare.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I can only take seriously therapists who once suffered from tinnitus if their tinnitus also had serious consequences....

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is definitely a huge need for qualified therapists who can treat Tinnitus Distress. Most people in need do not have access to a therapist with knowledge and experience of the subject.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do you mean by "serious consequences"?

12. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Lucky to find a therapist with T must be very helpful. I still looking forward to meeting someone who have T soon. Going to a support group next month. I spoke with someone on the phone had it for 40yrs.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      E. g. long-term incapacity for work

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      OK, I understand.