Went to the Gym, Wore Ear Plugs and I Have Two New Tones

Discussion in 'Support' started by yborleevoor, Nov 30, 2017.

1. yborleevoor
      Artistic

yborleevoor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress, maybe depression
      I tried to wear some ear plugs while I was at the gym because I was afraid the clashing of the dumb bells was going to hurt my ears.

However, after working out twice I now have these two low frequency tones that feel like they are fighting over who should be playing every waking second. I can't quite figure out their pitches because they keep tag teaming, but it's much lower than my regular tinnitus.

I'm kind of distressed because I feel like I can never workout again for fear of making my tinnitus worse. What should I do?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You can try taking NAC. You can even go to the emergency and ask to have prednisone prescribed to you...

3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I lift 3-4 days a week and never wear ear plugs, unless someone is on-purpose dropping the weights. I see that your tinnitus is fairly new. Your issue could be partly noise and party being scared/stress/anxiety. If you are wearing ear plugs you still could be stressing and having anxiety about people dropping weights. I have had new tones, many times before. The key for me was to NOT stress over it and eventually they faded or their intensity faded.

Hope you feel better :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yborleevoor
      Artistic

yborleevoor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress, maybe depression
      I'm starting to transition into the "fuck it" mind space with the tinnitus, I just felt the weight dropping was super loud in my gym because it's so crowded, but yeah these new sounds give me anxiety. Still I can't shake the feeling that my ear feels different after finally getting back to the gym. Before ear pressure never effected my T now those two tones can be changed in intensity with pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I lift 6 days a week. The people that own the gym are chill as its a small family run gym. They turn the music down abit when I get there because they know about my fucked up ears. I used to wear earplugs but the pressure that it builds up inside your ears when preforming squats, deads etc can be dangerous and theyre unconformable anyway.
      I swapped to the peltor X4A muffs, theyre slim and just look like headphones, They take the edge off when im loweing the weights on deadlifts or when other people are slamming the weights. I always get a spike in H and T when I leave but as i train at night and when I go to sleep straight after gym my T is always at bassline the next morning. I've put the spike down to the intensity when pulling heavy deads etc and when im mid set straining hard my T increases by 5x then as soon as i stop it goes back to bassline, The increased H ive put down to just wearing the earmuffs for a prolonged peroid so my ears need time to readjust after taking them off.

Either way ive been training for about 4 months 6 times a week with no permanent spikes. Like you i took 6 months off the gym when i first got T but I couldn't live without it now.What im trying to say is swap to ear defenders and see if that makes a difference.

• Like Like x 1