What ADD/ADHD Medications Can I Use When I Have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by BeMarie, Apr 4, 2015.

1. BeMarie

BeMarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / Zoloft
      My tinnitus was caused by an SSRI (Zoloft). My ENT said any antidepressants could make it worse.

I also have ADHD and was told that most of those meds can make it worse too. Is there anything I can take that won't make my tinnitus worse?

2. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

WillBeNimble Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      I take Focalin and have had no issues with it. I would steer clear of Wellbutrin, as that's mainly an antidepressant. Essentially, ADD prescription of Wellbutrin is kinda off label.

3. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      ADHD here - I take Concerta (extended release Ritalin) and find it has no impact on my tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Has anyone here had a spike AFTER you STOP taking Elvanse (Lisdexamfetamine), which is an ADHD medication? I was on it daily for about 6 weeks, 20-30 mg.

5. Potoriums

Potoriums Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I started Elvanse 20mg on the 9th January but I also had a dental clean on the 8th January. First started with tinnitus on the 16th January and I stopped the meds. Sadly still have it on the 3oth January.

I had a hearing test and it was ok. Slight high frequency loss but noting major and no external problems. My GP decided external ear spray was the way to go! Not sure what he was hoping to fix seeing as there was nothing to fix.

Either way not sure if it was starting my Elvanse meds that caused it but it would be one hell of a coincidence if not :(

Although I would not rule out dental work (periodontitis) has pushed infection up into inner ear?

6. Helen Sutherland

Helen Sutherland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe ADHD drug (Elvanse)
      Hi, I know your post was sometime ago - I just wondered if stopping the meds improved the tinnitus at all?

I am on Elvanse 30 mg and have developed tinnitus, I've stopped it for 2 weeks so far and no change - the ear ringing is still there.

Hope yours has eased or maybe a different med is better?

7. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Did your tinnitus start how quickly after starting Elvanse?

8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs... AAAaaargh! There are so many safe, non-drug alternatives.

9. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Like which?

I'm personally taking a bunch of supplements like 4'-DMA-7,8-DHF, Noopept, Polygala and some racetams and they help me focus amazingly well with almost no side effects.

10. Knight

Knight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ritalin
      Any updates?

11. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sometimes drug alternative don’t work though. It’s a tough call to make. Meds can be a necessary evil, but I would only ever take them as a last resort.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @makeyourownluck -- That's true, but another (sad) truth is, most people don't even try. There are so many things that could be tried before resorting to drugs, but it generally takes a lot of work and discipline, so people usually don't want to consider them (like lifestyle changes). Drugs are the easy route, but all too often, can be quite disastrous.

I feel I speak from experience. I had a serious concussion as a teenager that left me with serious post-concussion brain issues of all kinds, from ADHD type symptoms, to anxiety, to depression, to chronic agitation, etc. I've discovered and refined a repertoire of things I do on a daily basis to overcome these "mental states".

I can honestly say I'm able to achieve a deep sense of calm and stillness on a daily basis, all without drugs. And despite my post-concussion syndromes, feel I navigate this world as well as just about anybody else. I'm not saying everybody can do what I've been able to do, but as I said earlier, most people don't even try.

13. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I get what you're saying, and I agree it should be a last resort. I just think we should be careful not to generalise and scare people off meds completely. Some credit meds with saving their life. It's a fine balance between education and instilling fear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @makeyourownluck -- Good points, on which I can fully agree. I was able to wean myself off of Clonazepam many years ago, and feel it was a critical thing for me to do (took my about 18 months). But I would never criticize somebody who uses them because they feel it's absolutely necessary.

On a similar note, I've noticed that Tylenol 4 (which is about 75% codeine) has a way of relaxing my body, mind, and psyche in a way that nothing else really can. Since it affects opoid receptor sites in the brain, I'm open to anything else that might do the same, from LDN, Psilocybin mushrooms, or what have you.

Interestingly (and unfortunately), Tylenol 4 mildly spikes my tinnitus. But isn't overly burdensome because I'm in such a greater state of relaxation. But I avoid taking it for the most part, unless I need it for sleep. In the first few days of my screeching 10+++ tinnitus, I was only sleeping about 10-15 minutes a day. It was Tylenol 4 that saved the day for me. After taking just a half tablet, I was able to sleep for 6 hours straight.

• Like Like x 1