What Are the Best Discreet Earplugs for Tinnitus Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vin, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hi,

Help! Can anyone suggest the best ear plugs to wear that are in-ear for functions where there will be loud music/noise? I need to attend a funeral and there will be a loud choir, music (piano/organ etc.) over speakers as well as many people singing next to me.

Obviously it is not like going to a ‘club’ but nonetheless, the choir and piano/organ are all amplified through a speaker system and I would like to err on the side of caution.

I shop a lot on Amazon.ca (Canada) as I have a Prime Next Day Delivery Membership so please let me know if there is anything on there.

Thanks a lot everyone!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      There are many earplugs out there and someone will probably recommend something suitable for you. I have replied to your post just to say, no matter what type of earplugs you use even if they are custom made musician type. If external sound is loud enough, it will pass through your head and be transferred to your inner ear and possibly spike your tinnitus. So you are right to be concerned about amplified sound through speakers. Remember also that sound is reflective so will bounce of walls, floor and ceiling.

By all means attend the funeral but be wary of loud sound. My advice is not to put trust in any form of hearing protection because it will not protect you if external sound is too loud.

Best of luck
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Ugh. Thanks a lot for the response and information. It is a family member so I need/want to go but yes, I am very nervous about the sound factor. Again, think very large echo prone church with choir, organ over speakers and standing in a large crowd with everyone singing around me. Obviously the majority of the time will be quiet but there are probably going to be at least 4-5 church hymns during the 1 hour service.

Just to note, my Tinnitus was trauma induced after being physically assaulted, so it was caused by either concussion or whiplash. It was not caused by sound but nonetheless, it is just starting to show some small signs of improvement (knock on wood).

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for the additional information as I now have a more full rounded picture. If I were you and this is just a suggestion, use "Noise reducing earplugs" and not the type that will shut off all external sound. Noise reducing earplugs will reduce external sound by will not impair sound quality. 25 to 30 decibel reduction should suffice. I have been to a few church funerals over the years and haven't had any problems and my tinnitus is "Noise induced" and quite severe. Neither did I find it necessary to use earplugs although I had them on my person.

Although earplugs can be useful and have their place I haven't used them in years. Hopefully things will go well for you and it's good to hear that your tinnitus is improving. I want to suggest that if you use headphones keep the volume as low as possible. Better still, if you can manage it then don't use them at all.

I wish you well.
      Michael

5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If the environment is loud, then you can possibly get a spike.... no matter what is causing the tinnitus. The loud noise or the stress of having ear plugs in(and being concerned if your ears are going to be ok) can possibly cause louder ringing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thanks for the responses and information! I do not use headphones at all anymore. Sadly, something I had to give up and I use to live with them, for podcasts and music etc.

What do you all think about something like this? It has 4.5/5 rating on amazon.ca and 4/5 rating on amazon.com out of 107 reviews.

Or should I go for a higher dB? Most range around 20db - 30db unless you go to a foam style that blocks almost all sound.

High Fidelity Concert Earplugs,Reusable Musicians Ear Plugs,24dB Advanced Filter Technology Ear Protection for Music Festivals, DJs, Musicians (black)

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The earplugs in the links that you have provided should be quite suitable. The advice that @fishbone has give you is right and I suggest you follow it. Just remember, earplugs no matter how good they are will not protect your auditory system if sound is too loud.

Michael

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thanks for the response!

9. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Vibes (that's the name of the brand) were recommended to me by a friend, and I like them a lot. They're extremely unobtrusive and very comfortable. But, they don't reduce sound levels by all that much, and they're easy to lose.

10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Eargasms are a good option as they are clear, and discreet.

Mack's ultra soft is a more protective foam option, and they are a nudge color, rather than the bright colors that many other earplugs are.

11. GoingGrayy

GoingGrayy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1220hz/1275hz - middle ear pressure/suction
      I'm looking at Westone Tru Customs currently, and was wondering if anyone had any insight?

12. gerhei

gerhei Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/After a cold
      Maybe not an answer to your question but in general earplugs are a bad idea with tinnitus. Earplugs and In-Ear-Headphones are by some even seen as increasing the probability to get tinnitus. Our ear needs stimulation, even more when we have tinnitus.

13. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      This is not true.

I mean, yes, some of it is true: we definitely do need vibrations to hit the inner ear or it will atrophy. Like any other body part, use it or lose it.

But it is not true that this means one should not use ear plugs. In fact, that's just about the most about ridiculous thing I've ever heard: when you have tinnitus, don't do anything that would block the sound from hitting your ear? What malarkey is this?

Definitely use plugs when noise levels are loud. Vibes are fine. Eargasm is good. I like Ear Peace because of their interchangeable filters. And really there are a million more out there these days, almost all of which will do the trick.

As @Michael Leigh said: don't put tooooo much stock in them: they only block so much sound, so you still can't decide to go land planes with them.

As @gerhei implied: don't *overuse* them when you don't need them.

But definitely use them when sound levels are moderately high.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. gerhei

gerhei Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/After a cold
      Are we talking about noisy environments or wearing ear plugs in every situation, also in silent environments? I didn't mean to not protect your ears in general but to avoid complete silence. Of course, ears should always be protected from loud noise.