What Are Your Guesses on Why My Tinnitus Goes Away and Comes Back?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raphael7713, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      And the t of Sam Bridge is low he wrote me not so long ago. So he can't imagine with ultra severe feels like.
      I doubt he has h

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      So this night I didn't get any sleep at all. For some unknown reason my T sounded very high. The strange thing is the night before I slept TO good, I couldn't even notice my T. But this night for some reason it sounded very high. This is soo annoying and I hope this night gets easier...or I will panic.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Don't let the panic get yo you @Raphael7713 because you don't hear it everytime. Try to remain calm, do yoga and avoid loud noises for a while. Your ears are still in the safe zone. A lot of people with even louder T recover after taking care of their ears.

So no headphones. Stop using them. Also buy plugs if you are somewhere you can plug them in. And last but not least avoid too loud situations like pubs etc.

I have a 100 percent feeling that you will recover if you do this for a while (at least 6 months). And after that use plugs in pubs etc.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      What's panicking me is lack of sleep. It turns into an evil circle. I didn't sleep at all tonight, now this night I will have pressure on myself..if I dont get any sleep it's 2 nights without sleep...I already feel torn apart.

5. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hear you, I received an low buzzing sound a week ago and I can't sleep too. 2 days ago I was gone from home and there was a fridge in the room where I slept. That night my ears responded to that buzz which was a square wave sound. My fridge at home is not a problem but this one is. Woke up at 3 am, my high T was doing weird stuff and my low T was super loud. I unplugged the fridge as I didn't need it and the night is a bit better. But still sleeping is difficult so I know how you feel.

I do yoga in the meantime and 30 minutes before I go to sleep. Breathe in for 5 counts, hold the breath for some heartbeats and then breath out that and count to 7. This is a surefire for me in calming me down. Really try it. It also makes me super sleepy if I do this right before I go to sleep.

Some people also take melatonine to fall and stay asleep. I haven't though. Maybe someone can give more advice. I know that your body makes this if you make everything dark 1 hour before bedtime, no tv, no phone or bluescreens. Do yoga and use a bamboo water fontain sound (not close to you and NO headphones) or rain, whatever helps you to relaxe.

Do you still only hear the sound at night?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    7. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Guys what's your opinion on Zopiclone? I've used it before only when needed, and they work perfectly. But I also read that Zopiclone affects the same part of the brain as benzo...and I've heard many times benzo can worsen T. What should I do?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      The night before when I got a perfect sleep there was nothing involved. No pills, nothing!

What is also strange is that before I went to bed last night, I sat quietly in my room looking out the window....nothing. Peace. After I lay down on my bed, after 2-3 mins it started....

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My T also always increases in volume as soon as I lay down.

I try to minimize my use of sound enrichment. But we must be prepared and be able to do something during loud nights...

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      If I only can get sleep my T doesnt bother me at all. It is only noticeable during complete silence almost. If I could figure out a way to sleep without problem I dont really care about my T. The only reason my anxiety kicks in and the rest of it is only because I have trouble sleeping.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      So this night I took pills at 12...1 hour later at 1 nothing. I started to panick, my T felt very loud (I think it's more because of anxiety and stress than it actually becoming louder). I tried to listen to white noise and tinnitus therapy..it didn't work..so i shut it off nad just laid there on the bed and went to sleep. And I got good sleep, thank God.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      To answer your question Applejuice, my T is mostly heard during nights only. I can however sometimes hear it outside of my home but then it needs to be quiet all around. Some times it feels as if it can get louder with background noise.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think a lot of people here envy you for it. If it goes up when around noises then I suggest staying away from loud stuff like everyone suggests when getting T.

In the meantime do breathing techniques before going to bed. Breath in (take 5 counts for it), hold your breath and then breath out (count to 7), wait a little and then breathe in again. Trust me this will get your heartrate back to baseline and this will make you drowsy. Don't think about anything and check every minute if your muscles are relaxed (especially in your face) as your body will flex them when stressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi @Raphael7713 I have very similar T to yours. I dont hear it at home when im at busy playing games or watchin TV. but as soon as I get to my quiet work place, my mind starts to wonder and anxiety kicks in. Then slowly but surely, the T creeps up in volume and then I stress abit more and T kicks it up another notch. Then i walk around or talk to coworker and T fades aways for awhile until the I get anxious again.

So after reading a bunch I think it comes down to 1) when you are anxious/stressed your fight or flight response kicks in and your body is programmed to heighten your senses to alert you of danger. This makes your T louder since it basically makes you hear things you normally dont notice. 2) your mucles in your face/jaw unconsciously tenses during stress and this could put pressure on your hearing nerves which irritates T.

what has helped me is to take deep breaths and just walk around to take my mind off. Sometimes i play video games too. If im at work i take L-Theanin and drink green tea to calm my nerves.

I still have T but i notice it has been improving since i am less bothered by it now, so theres more quiet time. one day i hope it wont bother me long enough for me to just forget about it.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thank you for your post newbieT! I appreciate it.

My problem is now that I cant sleep with it. Before I could..now all of the sudden I have enormous problems sleeping with it.
      Before I lay down..got bothered a little, then Eventually got my mind off it and fell to sleep. Now I can't...and I cant say for certain if the T is louder or not...but it's not that simple to fall a sleep more, not without pills.

18. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had that problem as well. I still do occassionally. I dont think its the noise itself thats so bothersome as much as our perception of it. I used to sleep with a loud portable AC on and when that compressor kicks in its like 10 times louder than my T, but i slept fine and never was bothered by it.

There is no real way to tell your mind to no focus on something, but over time it gets better. Try camomille tea and melatonin. They both work very well for me. Also contrary to popular belief, you dont build a tolerance to melatonin. I take it daily now

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm still struggling at nights and this was the fourth night in a row where I took sleeping pill. My T seems to get sooo high pitched during night and quiet time, besides that it feels the same way its always been. Before saturday I slept well with t...all of a sudden from saturday til now it's been sooo difficult.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I want to tell something else since I don't think many people read this thread from the start. Maybe, just maybe this inofrmation can tell you something or is connected to my T in any way:

Two months prior to my T I actually visited ENT (in november) because I had 2 strange problems with my right ear. One is still there.
      One of the problems was, which I still got, is when I bow down or lean forward, I get a whooshing sound in my right ear. If i stand back up straight it disappears. The other problem I had (I don't notice it much longer) is when certain sound made contact with my right ear, it started vibrating. Like when I'm listening to music, only the same certain sound triggers this vibration, not the rest. When I did an "ooo" sound with my lips I could also get the vibrating right ear. Ofc as usual, the ENT found nothing. I did a hearing test which showed I had no hearing loss. According to the doctor I even got a pretty good score on the test.

All this is before my T kicked in back in january. I don't know if there is any relation to my T. The vibrating ear I had for like a year.

I still got the whooshing sound when I bend down or lean forward. It almost sounds like air is coming out of my ear if you know what I mean.

I would really appreciate answer on this particular post since I know many people here have read a lot and knows a lot, maybe you can tell me if this means something or is in any way connected to my t.

Some times when I laid down on bed on my left side my right ear could vibrate for a very long time until i switched position. This also has stopped (or I havent noticed it for a very long time now, some months).

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I skipped pills this night - no sleep. Or well..1-2h. Fuck I feel so down again..this ain't fun.

22. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @newbieT

My t is a bit stronger than yours i think but what i do is have an app on my phone that plays purple noise; i usually have this on most of the time when im at home. I set it to volume level 2 on my iphone so its not loud enough to cover T. I do find it weird how im not botheree by this noise but i would fine my t noise aggravating after a while i think. I think it is a case of having control over my t and being able to "turn it off".

• Like Like x 1
    23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am not sure what to make of the other symptoms you described in your post. However the symptoms above sound a lot like tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS). I have TTTS. Sometimes I hear a "whoosh" sound every time I stop talking. Sometimes I hear this sound whenever I hear Any sound (including the sound of me swallowing my own saliva).

The other symptoms are bizarre. You may want to see multiple doctors regarding this. Perhaps get an MRI...

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Could the TTTS trigger Tinnitus?

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Normally, acoustic trauma causes both T and TTTS. I got TTTS right away, and then T began 11 days later. Can you think of a time before you experienced your first symptoms when you might have had an acoustic trauma (a one-time exposure to a loud noise)?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      What differes me from the rest n this forum (well mostly) is that i have NEVER been to a concert. The only way I could of ruined my ears are from headphone. I was in a wedding back in august with loud music but this TTTS stuff started some months before this event.
      I can't think of anything beside headphones and maybe the pub. But there was never one big occasion that really started things.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have also never been to a concert...

You would remember your headphones shocking your ears with unusually loud sounds. It looks like there was no acoustic trauma. I think you need to have an MRI.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Doesn't MRI sound liek really high and can worsen the T?

And, what can it find/tell? Tumor only thing?

29. reinergirl

reinergirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Raphael7713 I had the same thing with my eardrum(only the left one) for a while. It would only happen when my neighbor spoke and when I used a certain App on my phone(the voice on the app). It really freaked me out, of course I was having super high anxiety which is obviously a challenge for you too at this point. My ETN explained to me that we have 2 tiny muscles in our ear, one of them(can't remember the name) will spasm just like when you get an eye twitch, it's caused my anxiety/stress/etc just like the eye twitch is. He hadn't heard of it reacting only to certain noises but I took what he said to heart and stopped worrying about it just like I wouldn't worry about an eye twitch and low and behold it went away completely!

A few days ago my ear thumped once and every time I thought about it it did it again....so I put it out of my mind and once again it stopped. I was making it happen by fixating and zeroing my attention on it. You are really, really anxious right now and it magnifies everything exponentially. I know exactly how you feel right now, I just got mine in Dec 2016....and it's noticeable just about everywhere so what you'd call intrusive......so I lost it for a while. You've got to get your fear under control, it's truly amazing what fear and worry in our mind can manifest physically in our bodies.

If you have access to, I would highly suggest speaking to a good CBT therapist and try not to read too much online. If you haven't already, definitely go and get checked out medically.....it's a lot easier to let some of the worry go when you know for sure that you are healthy instead of wondering endlessly. Dr Google is not a good source to consult! I wish you the very best :)

30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You have TTTS. The description given by your doctor matches the description of TTTS.

I had something similar - my own voice caused me to hear that "whoosh" sound (of that muscle twitching), but the voices of others would normally not do that.

Back before I had my T, I had an MRI done for another health problem. I didn't find it to be noisy.

There are many threads on this forum regarding MRI. I didn't read them, as I don't intend to do an MRI. But it is my understanding that MRI is the standard procedure in cases where it is not clear what is causing T.