What Causes Hyperacusis? Why Most Tinnitus Sufferers Have It?

Discussion in 'Dr. Bruce Hubbard (Psychologist, CBT)' started by Mark K., Apr 9, 2015.

1. Mark K.
      Happy

Mark K. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. May have been from medication
      Hello Dr. Hubbard:
      I was wondering how is H created? And why does it appear for most Tinnitus people? I'm thinking that H is caused by our brain, and is found mainly in T people because we are always listening for our T so intensely that our brain creates the H. Is this a fair assessment or is H created from something else? I recently had Tinnitus 4 months ago, and about 2 months into my T I developed H, but after about a month my H symptoms reduced tremendously , or actually went away. This lasted for about a month. Now I can hear a little more sensitivity again. Not as bad as before but just a little more sensitive. The way I made my H disappear before was I just kept listening to the outside noises and didn't protect my ears. I also have some Widex Zen hearing devices that have a hearing aid feature, and I started using that feature for 4 hours a day (even though my hearing is fine). I noticed that when I wore my Widex Zens, it amplified all of the sounds, and created a sort of White Noise effect. When I took off the Widex Zens everything sounded noticeably softer in volume. After awhile it seemed like my H had disappeared, and my T seemed lower in volume. Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,
      Mark K.

2. Dr. Hubbard

Dr. Hubbard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hey Mark

what a great story of recovery! Some cases of hyperacusis do appear to be made worse, if not caused, by avoidance of external sound. Avoidance is a natural, self protective survival mechanisms, especially if you believe that your tinnitus is triggered or affected by the normal levels of external sound you've come to avoid. But as a coping strategy, avoidance must be done in moderation, and sometimes, not at all, because, ultimately, you've got to transition back into the world of sound. Exposure to sound, and the emotional experience around it, may be tough at first, but it's a good learning experience for your brain, gives your brain opportunities to to adjust and habituate. Works this way with tinnitus, too. Gradually reduce any masking, and take a courageous step toward hearing the sounds. Keep your thinking reasonable, encouraging, and practice mindfulness.

All the Best!
      Dr Hubbard

• Like Like x 3