What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Simgo, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Simgo

Simgo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud nightclubs
      Hi Guys,

I'm new here, so my apologies if I'm repeating things you've covered on other threads.

I've had tinnitus for several years now and have always put it down spending too much time in loud clubs during my 20s and early 30s. At first it was tough to take, but I habituated and lived with it.

Then, a few years back it got worse (for no apparent reason as I'd eased off the clubbing by then) with a louder, more intrusive, high-pitched whine. That was a setback, but again, after some time, I habituated, got a handle on it and got on with life.

Then, about two years ago the game changed. I was at work one day and my left ear felt blocked; I assumed it was earwax and went to see the nurse at my local surgery. She examined my ears, said they were clear and prescribed a nasal decongestant, saying it was probably ETD.

I used the decongestant but the fullness seemed to just come and go of its own accord. That winter it seemed to go completely and I was just left with the tinnitus again. However, problems began again the following summer. One day at work last year I randomly fell over in someone's driveway (I'm a postman) and a couple of months later I had a vertigo attack while lying in bed; I woke up one morning and the room was spinning, so I staggered to the bathroom where I had spinning, nausea and diarrhoea.

I went to see an ENT last year who said it wasn't ETD as my tubes were open. He suspected Menieres - my hearing was down a little in the lower frequencies but still in the 'normal' range - and told me to eat a low salt diet and come back in a year. So I went to see him a few weeks ago. My hearing was the same, no worse, I've had no other episodes of vertigo or drop attacks, just fluctuating ear fullness that comes and goes. The fullness drives me crazy, much worse than the T. Sounds like cars going past are distorted like a speaker with too much bass. I often wake up with the left ear blocked in the morning and it can be better by the evening or it can last for a whole week. Sometimes when I wake in the morning it's fine and then it becomes full by the evening. Whatever I eat or drink doesn't seem to make a difference, it just seems to be completely random.

The ENT said he now can't be sure it is Menieres and sent me for an MRI this week.
      What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is best to wait for the results from your MRI rather than to speculate. Keep away from loud music and if possible don't use headphones.....

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Menieres attacks can come in group attacks and can be weeks and months apart or go years only to return .
      Keeping to a low salt diet is best for now till you have tests done but to diagnose someone with Meniere's Disease it can take a year or two as it's a progressive disease but can be managed .
      love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Simgo

Simgo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud nightclubs
      Hi Glynis

I see you have Menieres. If it turns out that I also have it, do you think this ear fullness get worse, will it continue to come and go, or will it go completely? I know it's impossible for you to give a definitive answer, but I just wondered what you thought is the most likely scenario based on your own experience. Also, do you think Betahistine would help with ear fullness or could it actually make the T worse, as I'm sure I've read on another thread that this can happen. Sorry to put you on the spot, but I have two young children and am quite worried about the future.

Many Thanks