What Drugs Should a Tinnitus Sufferer Avoid If They Get Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Watasha, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dr. Nagler - I know that malaria drugs such as chloroquine were on your list as drugs to avoid.

Very early anecdotal stories suggest that a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin could be effective in reducing the severity and longevity of the coronavirus. This sounds like a potential ototoxic cocktail and I wanted to get your thoughts on it. If this is a widespread use globally, could we see a tinnitus pandemic from this potentially lifesaving drug cocktail and should people with existing tinnitus avoid unless absolutely necessary?

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello @Watasha -

It's really a personal decision ...

If I were infected with coronavirus, and my doctor prescribed hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin based upon solid FDA guidelines (i.e., not based upon "very early anecdotal stories"), I would take it without hesitation. I am over 70, and to me the importance of living long enough to play with my grandchildren and watch them grow outweighs the risk of auditory damage and/or an increase in the loudness of my tinnitus.

Stay safe. And remember, the two most powerful weapons we have today against coronavirus are hand washing and social distancing.

All the best -

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.