What Earplugs/Earmuffs to Use in the Car?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, May 6, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      If I buy something like Peltor Prime 98 in the car, would that work?

What do you guys use in the car?

Maybe you use earplugs? What kind?

Earmuffs? What kind?

Or you don't use earplugs?

I am trying to avoid a drive/ride in which it takes 20 min to get there, maybe 15 so 30 min total.

But, I don't know if my friend will do it for me. I think it sucks that I can't do simple errands now.

The issue is
      A) whether I should wear plugs;
      B) if I should, which ones because I have had discomfort issues with X4A and probably plugs as well and
      C) I don't know if longer drives ultimately gives me ear pain or not. I sure hope not. Does that sound possible? From the cabin noise or going over some rough road areas?

I am hoping I just need to find the 'right' muffs and plugs that won't cause discomfort or pain. I am unsure about silicone plugs. Will they fit nicer? The protection won't be as good but maybe I just need something that is better than nothing? :-/

I also need to find something that will ship to Canada.

Any insight and advice or suggestions?

2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Try silicone earplugs. The 3M Earsoft are NRR 25, and decent for this purpose. Most cars are not particularly loud these days.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      The 3M ones are yellow? I think I tried those ones. Depends if I am interpreting the same ones, though.

I get ear pain in my right ear and not sure why. Am I screwed? :( I didn't wear anything. Is that an h symptom then or? I know no doctors are replying but this scares me.

Not only do I have loud t but I also have ear pain. It might be from wearing plugs or muffs but I don't know if part of it is noise induced.

Can I do anything? Or can my ears get used to sounds and eventually stop having pain from it, if that is a factor in any way? :(

The pain makes wearing hearing protection even occasionally, very difficult. :(

4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I don't think anybody needs earplugs or muffs in a car. Unless they have an unusually loud car... or they drive with the window down.

Regular cars are not noisy at all. I read a test of 3 cars, where they measured the cabin noise. Even at 120 km/h it was only about 71-73 dB.

5. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      I had hyperacusis for a brief time, but it seems to have vacated. Tire noise and the radio bothered me so I wore my Vibes on occasion.

6. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, if one has hyperacusis it can be necessary, to avoid pain in the ears. Car noise has never bothered my hyperacusis though, even when it is pretty bothersome. I think because car noise is very low frequency.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think that is what mine gets to, on average. Is that acceptable if we are to assume hearing damage or if tinnitus is noise induced?

I think I should at least have my muffs handy in case of a siren (approaching) and I also have to consider the place where I am going? For e.g. store, grocery store etc., right?

8. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep, that is acceptable. You won't get hearing damage from 70-73 dB. Maybe if it was 24/7 with no break, but other than that, no. Plus you risk making your hyperacusis even worse if you over protect.

• Agree Agree x 1