What Exactly Does Your "Pulsatile Tinnitus" Sound Like...?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ian Mc, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Ian Mc

Ian Mc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown Pulsatile Tinnitus
      Hi, I'm keen to hear from other pulsatile tinnitus sufferers, could you please tell me what your PT actually sounds like, is it a whoosh, a heartbeat sound etc etc?

Mine is a heartbeat sound (a pulse sound / thump), not a whoosh) and it is totally in sync with my pulse. I can usually only hear it with my neck in certain positions, it is not very loud, and I can only hear it in a very quiet room (and in bed).

Thanks,
      Ian.

2. Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely jaw and/or neck issues
      Hi @Ian Mc! Mine comes and goes, but it tends to be a "woosh" sound. It actually sounds pretty much exactly like the sound of a babys heartbeat (the one you can hear on ultrasound), only slower.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Mc

Ian Mc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown Pulsatile Tinnitus
      Mmm, To date I have had 73 views and 1 reply..., surely someone must have something to add...??

4. Simon Czt

Simon Czt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Mine was a "tum tum tum" but now it's a "whoosh", it's very light, I can only hear it in a quiet room

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I sometimes get this if I bend right down and touch my toes then suddenly stand up, like the sound of blood rushing for a few seconds.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. SunflowerPT
      Wishful

SunflowerPT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is exactly like this, too!

7. Duncan L
      Benevolent

Duncan L Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Brain Stem injury due to over-ambitious yoga stretch
      Mine is a high frequency pulsating hiss which has grown with intensity over the last 5 years. One increase was major after I attended a long music show. I also have been experiencing vertigo and my ears have developed an internal pressure which seems to be directly wired to the T.

8. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh in time with heartbeat. Also, a low rumble like a car idling outside. Also, a long whoosh when getting out of bed like a pipe draining.

9. lleyah

lleyah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      feb 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unanswerable
      Ive been having vertigo since may.
      My tinnitus is like yours except it grows in intensity daily. It always goes back down though. Medicine lowers it, inflamation seems to make it loud. It goes over my head at its worst. But most of time I can control it. I have a drone with certain movements, a low eee, cicadas and a loud woosh. A couple others but medicine controls mine. So far I havent been able to help this damn Vertigo.:oldman:

10. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
    11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Like a motor vehicle idling outside. There are actually two tones, both low frequency.

12. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Mines is like a tumble dryer/ boiler sound but with the door closed so sounds a bit muffled. It also revves up and down at times. I’ve also noticed that if I compress
      the bridge of my nose with my thumb and finger then sometimes it stops/reduces the sound but not always

13. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Mine was exactly like this. In the last few days it has increased and I hear it in certain positions especially at night.

14. WIllyC
      Balanced

WIllyC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1981
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Mine is high pitched and the volume is modulated in sync with my heart. It doesn't sound like a heartbeat - it sounds like regular tinnitus but with my pulse controlling the volume knob. Comes and goes.

15. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Mine can be high pitch or low pitch droning kind of sound in sync with my heartbeat. Sometimes it’s there, other times it’s not.

16. WIllyC
      Balanced

WIllyC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1981
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      ...but do they sound like these recordings inside the head (like from the victims perspective)? I’ve listened to these as well but mine sounds NOTHING like any of them. I can’t imagine any real world organically produced sound to be like what I hear inside my head.

@tiniturtle - you’ve said elsewhere that the sound you experienced was quite varied - but did it generally sound like what’s in the recordings here? Mine sounds more like the sonar scan of an alien death robot (high pitched cyclical pulse, sometimes when louder it starts to sound like someone marching in the snow but up two octaves).

Matches my heartbeat perfectly though. I can hear the catch up beats when I swallow or the brief increase if I bend over and then Stand up again.

17. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Yours sounds like typical PT.

18. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      My 3 month old regular tinnitus turned pulsatile and somatic in my left ear about 6 weeks ago. It is whatever my regular tinnitus is doing but it pulses. Yesterday it was a pulsating hiss, today it is a pulsing ultra high pitch ring.

19. Benja
      Angry

Benja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02\2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow/Maybe Noise/Maybe Stress
      This is exactly how my tinnitus sounds, like "normal" tinnitus, but with the volume following the heartbeat.

20. Mike O
      Cheeky

Mike O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine always starts with feeling pressure in my head and then progresses into the whooshing sound that is in sync with my heartbeat. I also feel some pulsation throughout my body as well, usually the feet and arms. The whoosh for me sounds like when you are having an ultrasound and they record the blood flow and you hear the whoosh, whoosh, whoosh from the machine.

21. Moremonie

Moremonie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Mine sounds like a low pitch boom, boom, boom, ...

22. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My most recent pulsatile tinnitus developed a week after the Pfizer vaccine injection.

It started as a low hum which was manageable but quickly changed a booming sound superimposed on the hum.

It is in sync with my heartbeat.

I would give anything to lose the pulsatile tinnitus, even increase my normal tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1