What Is Habituation Like with Really Loud Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      then why are you on this site seeking "support"

2. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      Maybe giving support???

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. foryourinfo

foryourinfo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Long time
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something
      Always good to see the average member engaging in a bit of delusional reverse psychology: if I can convince myself (read: fool myself) that I am doing better, then perhaps I can also convince my surroundings of the same. Somehow the following quote comes to mind:

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
      --Abraham Lincoln

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think people get for different reasons. Zoloft is the only drug proven to reduce t for a reason. Otherwise, you wouldn't see people on here talking about how they got T from their 5db "loss" as if everyone starts out with hearing at 0. But I won't go off on that. It's so hard to tell what will happen b/c everyone's situation is different. Sounds like for some people it goes down for others it doesn't. Some get used to it some never do. It is also hard to tell how loud someone's T really is since it's so subjective. Even my own is hard to rate. I would like to think that one day it won't scare the crap out of me but I can't imagine that. I know I will never think of it as my friend or be comforted by it, rather it is the complete opposite. I'd like to get inside my head and beat the shit out of it. I would like to think that at some point my brain would filter it out and stop hearing it but idk if that's possible.

5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I'm sure if you looked around this forum long enough you'd find a few posts about Zoloft apparently causing somebody's tinnitus, such is the variation in our experiences and how we interpret them. That's one of the things that can be so frustrating. Tinnitus is treated as the disease when in fact it's a symptom of a deeper disease process, and thus, yes...different reasons, many unknown it seems.

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Yeah, I saw that post further up too, I was a bit WTF....oh well, whatever. If it works for someone it may just work for someone else...not me though.

7. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      What do you mean ? Getting used to it and not habituated.

8. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Do you have spikes? How much maximum do they last?

What caused tinnitus, did you pass the audiometry in the extended range?

9. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      It seems to me that everything depends on the loudness and obsession with the tinnitus.

If the tinnitus is weak or even mild, in time you can get used to it and live a full life.

But if it is heavy, is it possible?

Especially frighten spikes. What is this .... Where do they come from.