What Is the Theory Behind Tinnitus Spikes and Is There Any Way to Avoid the Spikes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hopeful1, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I have low tinnitus days and moderate tinnitus days.

Sometimes it spikes from a loud noise and stays high for a couple of days.

Other times it spikes or comes down during sleep. Day before yesterday night it came down during sleep and today afternoon I slept with out proper neck support deeply and it came back up again. Makes me wonder if the issue is with my neck though my hyperacusis and tinnitus started after a couple of days after clubbing.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Hopeful1,
      Once we have tinnitus it seems to spike for lots of reasons.
      Some we might find out as we get use to our tinnitus but not for some.
      My ears are really naughty monkeys at the moment in full blast mode.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thanks @glynis
      Hope your spike comes down soon.

I wanted to check with the forum if know if any scientific theories on spikes?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Bump

Any one know any theories on T spikes?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Any ideas on the reason behind spikes
      @Markku

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      None I know of.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thanks @Markku .... i did not find any when i googled so wanted to know for sure.

8. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      There is no scientific study but there are clear theoretical underpinnings we can use to reason as to the cause of spikes. Since the auditory path is only subject to voltage and chemistry it stands to reason that either is altered by sound, motion, and food.
      The best course of action seems to be to not strain or manipulate any part of the nervous system in the neck or face. To not eat anything that can excite the central nervous system. And to protect yourself from sound with earplugs.
      If you have a spike something physical has changed.

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I know when we wake up our brain starts to check all our body is fine and waking up from a nap in the day is not what our brain is use to and on more alert while napping for danger and sound and causes tinnitus spikes.
      I find also waking up from a busy dream pushes my tinnitus to spike and a quiet more natural wake up keeps my ears from spiking as much.
      Great to hear how others find waking up from a sleep or nap or dream effects their tinnitus ?......lots of love Glynis

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thanks @glynis
      @Cityjohn

My T has been high when i sleep in the last 2 weeks but once i start doing something is comes to levels i am used to before. So i am not sure why my T increased in the sleeping times.

It also goes up during(but i wont notice) and after( i am quite aware of this) excercise. So i stopped intense excercise and only doing light excercise.

11. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      In many cases (food, exercise), yes. But I am perplexed by this too. What about when you're just sitting there, in a steady state for several minutes/an hour and out of the blue, you get this sudden, high "eeeeeeeeeeeeee" that then just divebombs into silence again? I've gotten them before the tinnitus (they've been described a a "hair cell dying" and I have no idea if that is the case or not). But those have all been very sporadic (2 - 3 times a year, if that, all the same pitch and loudness and lasting about 6 seconds). Now, having tinnitus, these spike things just arise out of nowhere like fish leaping up from the river, and plunge down again, and it can just be out of the blue. Feels like neuronal instability, in the same vein as epilepsy, perhaps???

12. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      That's the nervous system trying to reset the threshold on your filtering. If you pay attention your hearing should also become more sensitive prior to the reset attempt, this is usually heard as a hiss that becomes gradually louder until the reset attempt. There should also be a sensation of going slightly deaf.
      Mine usually last for a minute until the spike settles down. This is the beep in the ears that everyone experiences, a form of temporary tinnitus.

13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yeah, we have a long thread on fleeting tinnitus here:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...fleeting-transient-spontaneous-tinnitus.1834/

Incidentally, I had a pretty bad scare the other night.

I had like 8 fleeting tinnitus episodes in a period of 10-15 minutes, with a short pause between each.

The kick?

The last one didn't settle down - so I was a nervous wreck, luckily I was able to fall asleep (had had a loooong day), but I kept thinking if this isn't gone by the time I wake up, not sure how I could deal with that sort of increase, it was just mind blowing (and my current one is already such that only shower & the like mask it, I can easily hear it outdoors, over music etc).

It settled during sleep. Thankfully.

• Hug Hug x 3
    14. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Mama mia! This ole nervous system is like one of those monkey-clanging-on-cymbals toys amped up on steroids and high on sugar! There MUST be a way to calm this ...

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sometimes it's accompanied by sudden deafness (or muted hearing) and then loud ear tinnitus that lasts a few seconds then goes away. This normally only happens on one side at a time and never both sides at the same time.

So it seems in my case the hearing threshold becomes less sensitive prior to the fleeting tinnitus (in that ear).

16. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      I am curious about it too. If tinnitus is really caused by hearing loss, then any spike should be a sign of further damage, and because of it every spike should be permanent. It puzzles me too.

That whole thing has nothing to do with logic. Many people with tinnitus wouldn't even be bothered by their hearing loss, since it's so mild, what's the point in creating that phantom noise then.

• Good Question Good Question x 1