What Is Tinnitus Habituation Really?

Discussion in 'Support' started by screwtape, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @LadyDi,

Yes, I know that Jastreboff includes sound devices in his TRT therapy concept, but it's not defined as device based treatment or "sound therapy" cause the device doesn't represent the main receptive aspect in the treatment, it's only a plug-in so to speak. Mental training is the main carrier in TRT and the brains ability to be "programmed" by yourself is a big ingredient, thus the name Tinnitus Retraining Therapy.

I'm happy that your attending a program that includes more than just a hand out and a booklet. I've seen too many clinics with dental blue web page color with stock images of smiling people with headgear. Dunno if I would like to pay them big bucks just to be left to my own devices.

I have spoken to the centers here that offer T treatment BASED on TRT and expressed my concerns about the use of the word TRT, they say that their therapists are trained by Jastreboff but they are applying that knowledge in a slightly different setting, one of the reasons is mentioned in my prior post. So I guess TRT is still not available here quite yet, cause the TRT trained therapists are claiming refunds from the government and they don't support 1:1 treatment but only group based.

People also habituate without doing anything, so it's also important not to think TRT is the only way. Some never habituate no matter what they do or don't do as well, I'm afraid to belong to that latter category cause my T has stayed at the same mad level since I got in in June, as a matter of fact is has even increased slightly. But I'm giving that therapy here a chance anyways. Perhaps it will end up in me having to accept that I can't accept. That's an acceptance too. But as with most people with severe T&H I hope for a medical cure to arrive and I guess that's the only happy ending to this in my book.

2. Owch

Owch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      This is a very interesting point - I think I might also have had noises in my ears for some years that I just didn't recognise and then one day in March after a highly stressful period I 'decided' the noise I heard at that moment might be tinnitus and then all hell broke loose... whether the tinnitus noises got worse at that time so I noticed them or whether I just 'recognised' what had already been there for some time is open to question. And then the Hyperacusis and Pressure problems started...

I've read two recent postings on this forum from younger sufferers who both said that they talked to their parents who suffered from tinnitus and then after listening for it suddenly 'realised' that they had it too and at that point things became difficult for them

I have a former work colleague who, after I explained my situation to him, described to me a noise he hears constantly in his ear and asked me if I thought it was tinnitus... he didn't seem at all bothered about it so I lied and said 'it could be a lot of things' and he still seems to be wandering around happily and oblivious to his problem eight months later!

I wonder if there is something useful in there for us?

• Like Like x 2
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      It IS interesting. I remember reading in a paper that Jastreboff hadwriten than he found manypatients described the onset of their severe tinnitus as immdiately following when a doctor had told them theyhad tinnitus and it was untreatable.

4. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hi Beth! In the beginning I did not cope very well. It was a mental hell and I was a wreck for weeks. Just waiting to take the next sleeping pill to pass out. The highlight of my day was to take that pill.

But all that is history now. I'm off all kind of white pills. No anxiety or stress. I just have moments when the tinnitus is a little annoying. When it spikes. But it is no problem.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Its all about VOLUME, VOLUME and VOLUME.

The people who say that volume does not matter or that all tinnitus is the same level for all of us are full of crap and know nothing of what they talk about.

15 years ago I had tinnitus. I may have had it longer than that but suddenly one day for no reason it was there. I could easily hear it in quiet places and it was constant. I did not like it but it really caused me no undue stress or anxiety. I rarely noticed it except when it would change tones. I was habituated.

However about 4 years ago something turned up the volume. The tinnitus became a serious problem then only because the volume has increased. Nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. Owch

Owch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      That is really terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that.

And on top of that doctor's awful attitude, they then tell you to take an ototoxic substance which will damage your ears further!

It's wonderful that you are able to take something positive out of this. You have my respect.

7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Meeruf - how is your volume compare to before? Do you think you attitude change because of meditation or T volume might have lowered ?
      I always thought it takes many months to see the effect of meditation .

8. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Tinnitus is worse when you first get it as your brain responds to it as it would to any noxious stimulus - this is the limbic system response. This is followed by the thinking response - 'what if it never goes away?' or 'what if it gets worse and worse?'. The main problem is the feeling of loss of control. Once you have had tinnitus for some time, the limbic response fades and you learn what will happen - good times and bad times, using masking sounds, taking anti-anxiety and sleeping medications when necessary and you just learn to get on with your life. My motto is "It is only Tinnitus". In at least 50% of cases, the tinnitus will improve or go away in time. It is quite similar to chronic pain disorders - causes cannot be found, there are no specific treatments but most people learn to manage it. My advice is to stop focussing on it and only come to a site like this when you need advice or have something to give to other sufferers. Waiting for 'the cure' is like 'Waiting for Godot'.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      I have to agree with meerut grading the power of thoughts! (y)

For me when I initially got T the first few weeks were really difficult, however I found that I habituated fairly quickly (this was noise induced) and the T was very mild and I couldn't hear it in most cases. For the next year and a half I was coping with T just fine, still going to clubs with earplugs, restaurants and bars!

Then about 2 years later attending a loud pub for about an hour brought along a new higher pitched sound. I can only describe it as the sound of crickets in my head but extremely high pitched. This has been very difficult to deal with and I notice it constantly, finding it very difficult to focus away onto anything else. I am sitting here now and it is hissing away, LOUD, in my ear, head, who knows!

However, meerut is absolutely errorless in his analysis. Fundamentally, whilst tinnitus is a major pain in the a*se, the emotional reaction to it is the key in order to overcome it. Being able to observe the noise and think "this is just a natural compensation mechanism, nothing more, nothing less" is how i'm trying to apply the logic to overcome the psychological barrier :). I have habituated once and working on habituating again! I need to keep telling myself this as I know how easy it is to be sucked back into the negative thinking spiral. As soon as this happens just stop the thoughts as these are what make us feel worried, scared and afraid of what "might be next". I didn't think this was possible but CBT helped me concur Anxiety and I know the same logical thought process can help us all cope with tinnitus.

This is without doubt the most challenging thing I have had to deal with in my life. It puts into perspective things we thought were difficult before, sitting exams, getting a job.. We CAN control how we react to tinnitus, we may notice it, but we do not need to give it any more attention than that.

I wish everyone a lovely evening, and to not react to our compensation mechanism! It's not trying to hurt, it's just being. :huganimation:

It's also worth remembering that every single day is a day closer to an ultimate cure. Until then, lets live our lives to the fullest! :beeranimation:

All the best!
      Mission

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving

I think the volume is pretty much the same. Sometimes its lower I think. But, I don't now if its actually lower, or if its just that I don't care. I think its more a attitude thing. Most of the time now I don't give a shit about my T. Its just there. Before I felt the tinnitus as a threat, as something dangerous. It was new, and I had a million questions and thoughts..

But, it was never the tinnitus that was the problem. It was my feelings around it, my thoughts, my reaction.

I actually have a idea to a picture about the connection between 'tinnitus - emotions/thoughs - suffering' that will put stuff in perspective. I will try to make it within this week

• Like Like x 2
    11. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Looking forward to your picture, Meeruf. I have found visualizations very helpful.

12. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Meeruf. You need to write a book about this. You are amazing! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      How long has it been since you went to the pub ?
      I am just curious because I when to movies 3-4 months ago without ear plugs and it seems like I am getting more louder days now .

14. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi Sean,

The pub incident I mentioned in my post was back in July 2012. I last went to a pub/club around a month ago with work. I didn't stay for more than about 2 hours but I did wear earplugs. Equally I still wear earplugs when going to the cinema as they can pump out the volume pretty loud without you necessarily realising (although T sufferers will realise!).

When I first got T I didn't worry about wearing earplugs as much, but am a bit more careful now.

Mission

15. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Hi everyone.
      Just so I'm sure. Is habituation hearing your t but not letting it worry you, or does the sound diminish?

16. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      My understanding is there are two habituations...

1) Habituation of Reaction
      Habituation of Reaction is where you hear your tinnitus but it doesn't cause any emotional distress. It's like hearing the refrigerator running.

2) Habituation of Perception
      Habituation of Perception is where you can only hear your tinnitus when you consciously focus on it.

A natural progress is for 1) to lead to 2). You should aim for 1) and from that over time it will become 2).

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yes, what NeoM says is correct. First you habituate to the actual sound, where hearing the sound doesn't bother you, and once you've gotten to that point, you stop noticing is all together. Wouldn't that be so damn wonderful! I guess the question I ask is, what is the best way to habituate to tinnitus. I play white noise all day long. I can't imagine this i any good because how can you habituate to something that you can not hear?! But, not listening to white noise makes me really anxious so I don't know what to do now!

18. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Well stated! That's the way its supposed to work.

19. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Relax, takes about 4 months to get a grip, been there done that, save your money....you can try listening to crickets that's my hiding place white noise annoying to me anyway...

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Dr. Ancill

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      The two types of habuituation are really two side of the same coin. Because you no longer focus on the tinnitus, the emotional (Limbic System) response lessens. As the emotional response lessenes, you no longer focus (Cortical System) on it. That is why the psychological and psychiatric treatment elements are so important. Reduce the anxiety and you reduce the tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Dr. Ancill

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I am not sure that white noise the best habituator as it is a tinnitus-like noise that the brain will constantly try to alert to. It may be better to use nature sounds so that the brain can learn to habituate (ignore) as it recognizes them as background sounds. Using nature sounds (crickets, birds chirping, running water) worked for me and many of my patients.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      crickets do the trick for me, took a few months but they seem to do the trick for me and I can have a conversation with anyone and hear the outside world as well

• Like Like x 1
    23. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      That's great Danny, how your doing.

I'd like to hear some cricket masking. I'll take that advice, use nature sounds, birds chirping or running water.
      I have a bird CD. I'm going to play it. Its like being outdoors and hearing a bunch of song birds. I like it.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I also use nature sounds where crickets are one of the elements (the other elements are storm, wind, and a fire crackling). Love my crickets! I only use this to aid in falling asleep.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey James
      Yip tried many things, all the sounds and noises and crickets are my own personal choice if you'd like I could direct you to the place where I found them. Sounds like you've learned to cope somewhat better yourself, it still sucks tho, and I guess we are still looking for a quicker road to habituation.
      All the best to you and your family in 2014.
      Danny S

• Like Like x 1
    26. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      It's a myth. Just like New Year's wishes coming true.

27. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @screwtape,

I just discovered your thread now, I see that you wrote it back in 2011 and I hope that you are coping better with the T now. I mean in terms of loudness. Also wish you a better 2014 and hope that the things you wrote about can in some way, shape or form be of less trouble for you. When it comes to socializing I completely understand your situation, it's not easy if you live "off Broadway" to put like that.

28. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Happy New Year toad....dreams do come true ...peace brother:rolleyes:

29. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      No they don't. Someone just threw a firecracker near me today so this year is ruined already, on the second day. Life is a pain and it doesn't get any better.

30. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Sometimes I read this word and how I perceive others to use this word is that habituation means you sort of stop hearing the T unless you search for it. For me that is not habituation - that I call cured ... If that is what people call habituation than after 5 years I`m still not habituated cause it is there 24/7 ... it is impossible not to notice it although i`ve learned not to panic over it anymore. Yet I do feel it sucking my energy and lust for life. I`m getting tired of it. I`ve lost so many things because of the T and hearing loss. My relationship, my happiness, my ability to play the instrument I loved most (flute) and worst, just a moment of silence.

we all need a cure soon! :(

just one of those days i guess

• Hug Hug x 2