What Is Working For Me

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Rodster, May 13, 2015.

1. Rodster

Rodster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      about 1995
      Hi
      I have had Tinnitus for a long time but it was just a low hum. It even seemed to go away for a while. Then after some serious dental surgery last year I ended up with loud noises in both ears but louder in the left. It would not stop and was really getting to me. It came on fast and after a week I could not think of anything else. I finally went to see an ear doctor to get it fixed. He told me that nothing could be done except trying the Lipo-Flavonoid. I used it for a while but quit after a few weeks. I was miserable for months.

Mine is sometimes real loud and sometimes almost quiet. I also have different sounds from ringing to crickets and then sometimes a hum. I get a lot of variety. I did use masking sounds on the loud days and it did help. Then I was reading on this site about another member that said to get on with your life and not to dwell on it. I began to notice than when I got busy or doing things that I did not notice it as much. Finally for the last 6 months or so I hardly notice it except when it spikes for a while. Most of the time I don't notice it. I do know that if I listen for it I will hear it. Now even when I am not doing things it does not bother me. Its like my grandfather clock that is in the same room as my computer. I don't hear it chime when I am doing things on the computer. Even if my Tinnitus is still there and I don't notice it I will call it good.

I hopes this helps someone
      Rod

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I hope to get there. I do have good moments in silence. But man its tough.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mis wrote that. I don't get silence - I meant to say "in silent rooms"

4. mamag

mamag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      I completely relate and that has been my experience. Once I decided to just learn to live with it…which for me was much easier to do after getting an MRI…it got 95% better.

• Like Like x 1
    5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      me too. a more serious illness has driven my focus elsewhere. now i rarely care about it or think about it. im largely unaware of it except for perhaps when the noise grabs my attention by getting louder, but its always temporary, so i have just decided to not give a stuff about it.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      This is difficult when it is loud ALL the time. I wish mine came in phases. I would say mine is just a Permanent spike. Constant torment.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Dennis MacDonald
      Confused

Dennis MacDonald Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I would have to agree that this is where I am at the moment. Loud all of the time. But I AM beginning to get a handle on it. As loud as it is I am able to ignore it much of the time. It is very difficult to try to explain it but is becoming a part of me and I am beginning to accept it. It's like losing a hand or foot or something like I see on a lot of disabled veteran commercials. OK, it's happened now learn to live with it. I am trying to do just this. Never the less, it's still a bitch to live with.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      When you have lost your ability to teach percussion which has been your life for 20 years it is certainly a bitch. Trying to find purpose again. @Dennis MacDonald

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mikey - I understand your struggle as I am in the same boat with performing - my thoughts go out to you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      Mine is a constant ringing all the time, its very disturbing....somtimes its loud sometimes its quiet, but the constant gets me....I am obsessive as well....so not easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I am sympathetic. I am a drummer who hasn't touched his sticks since T-day.
      Ironically, my T started with otosclerosis, not with my drumming (I have an e-kit, so I can control the volume going into my ears). I've never had my ears ring after a drumming session.