What Is Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paulie87, Feb 21, 2017.

?

What frequency is your tinnitus?

1. Ultra Low Frequency (Less than 200 Hz)

2. Low Frequency

3. High Frequency

4. Ultra High Frequency (Higher than 10,000 Hz)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Paulie87

Paulie87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Guys,

Interested to know what all our tinnitus sounds like and the frequency you measure it as. There is a lot of conflicting thoughts about low frequency tinnitus being associated primarily with menieres disease and high frequency tinnitus frequently being accoustic trauma.

Can everyone please vote in the poll above and also describe their tinnitus sound and HZ along with how loud they feel it is. (You can select more than one response if you have multiple tones).

Thanks Guys

FYI, I have a very high pitch sound, which sounds like an old CRT TV switched on that no longer bothers me and is in the back of my head constantly. If I think about it, it becomes very loud though.

I also have an 80HZ Bass type noise which pulsates although not in time with my pulse. This is the sound I have most trouble with.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have a mix of high frequency tones (8.5 kHz and above) that sound like a helicopter turbine (or jet engine), mixed with someone cutting some wood on a table saw. This subset of my T is not maskable, except with sounds that would be too loud to be safe.
      Every once in a while, a lightsaber/foghorn comes in as well, mostly when I lay down. This one is annoying at night because because of the quietness of the night, but it's easily maskable and when I get it during the day I can easily "tune it out".

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paulie87

Paulie87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You know, I have been looking for another way to describe my tinnitus outside bass noise, and lightsaber is perfect. Maybe that's why I am so scared of the sound. I actually find it terrifying and spend my whole waking day humming to cover it.

The tinnitus was worst was when I was staying in hospital with my wife and my son was born. I was on an uncomfortable pullout sofa and it is so quiet in there and my head was just humming. Couldn't do anything to mask it. 3 days after my son was born and I'm outside in the carpark of the hospital sitting in my car with something around my neck begging to die.

Even though I still don't know whether it's possible to ever get used to this noise as people never seem to describe it, I do want to live for my son.

4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Whenever I describe my tinnitus to someone they typically end up with a terrifying look on their face!

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My main tone is this ultra high frequency hid hissing. Nothing masks it, and it's very bothersome.
      I did have tonal "ear" tinnitus which went away and pulsatile tinnitus too, but neither bothered me as much as this ultra high frequency head tinnitus.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      High frequency Hiss ( often Pulsatile ) about 7000Hz - 8000Hz.
      Bad assed hisser.
      Haven't found any masking sounds that work, but it is soothed a little by deep bass notes.

7. Andrea Lopez
      Worried

Andrea Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection?
      I think I have low frequnecy tinnitus... I'm worried it can possibly be Cochlear hydrops/Menieres? Are there any tests to determine this? I'm new to T

8. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I have multiple sounds and they are all different. Some are tonal, some are not, but they're all in the middle to high-frequency range.

9. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Do you experience dizziness/vertigo?

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Andrea Lopez
      Worried

Andrea Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection?
      Hello @Rubenslash! I love your username btw lol. In the beginning I kinda did... not vertigo but slight dizziness. Not sure if it's cuz I got T from a lame ear infection/antibiotics.

11. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Mine is a hissing high pitched ringing with pinging and static. It's been a lot worse of the last few days too.
      I'm 9 Months in and this is the worst it has been, along with depression which is having a real affect on my mental health. I feel like I'm going crazy. I can't be trusted too make correct decisions any more.

12. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My T sound is rostered. 2 days it is low tone sound like a drill machine. I can be good with this. Then, next 2 days it's a mixed tone drill with air blowing, hissing which is high frequency. I can't concentrate anything.
      I pray to god everyday for all of us who have this unrecognised, uncomfortable problem. Don't know how and when we could be relief !!
      Now TINNITUS TALK is my Facebook.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Don't worry about Meniere then, doesn't sound like it at all.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Marijana
      Kick ass

Marijana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably standing (working) near speakers on a festival
      The last time I checked the frequency it was 15000 khz. My tinnitus just melts with that tone and I can't hear it.
      I also have that low humming pulsating sound which I only hear when I go to bed. It dissapeared for some time but it came back recently :eek:
      Hang in there my friends! :love:

15. Andrea Lopez
      Worried

Andrea Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection?
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What means 'ditto' ??

17. Andrea Lopez
      Worried

Andrea Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection?
      It means, "I agree" or "me too" :) it's slang where I'm from

• Like Like x 1
    18. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I SEE IN DICTIONARY "REPEAT" . THXX

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      ~8.3khz and up hissing, like a spinning hard drive with loud bearings. Thankfully, sometimes it's like AM radio static at a slightly lower volume. I haven't figured out if there's anything that I do that triggers one mode or the other, it's usually a day-by-day basis. If I figure that out, I'm going for radio static mode all the way!

As far as volume, it's loud. If I think about how loud it is and really take note of it, I should be going crazy (which I was early on.)

Today I find I'm observing it and not reacting as much emotionally to it, which is really helpful. Just pushing through it. Earlier I was panicking which seemed to be an awful downward spiral just making it worse. Hoping my brain can keep progressing in the right direction :)

20. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't know how to measure my tinnitus, but it's high pitched, unmaskable and constant. I do get some quieter (never silent) days and it's reactive. I'm not depressed, suicidal or desperate just fed up with it. Sometimes hard to concentrate. Life goes on.

21. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Correction. Admitting I'm depressed. Very down. Not just the tinnitus though.

22. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      High pitches in both ears. Low pulsating hum. Loud and relentless.

23. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Main perception = high pitch hiss to the right side of my head + electric feeling all over head + occasional zaps to the left.
      Evening, bed = a helmet of noises that give the impression of crickets plus another noise.

Today it's all over the place screaming as it often likes to do at the weekend when am not ultra busy...and I've just smashed a bowl to add a touch misery and anxiety to the day. #knowhowtolive#

24. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      What is the cut off between low and high? What would something in the 1-3k range be? Very audible and annoying. Music melody range, speech range.

25. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I have high and "low" tones, not ultra low though.

26. JMobile
      Fine

JMobile Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspected vocal noise trauma
      For all the years I've had mine, I haven't ever tried to profile it. The sound is a forever imprint in my mind now of course.

In the last two days I've found more information than I've ever known. I am looking to get more details on it and quite possibly have it fade away - I am tired of my ole friend.

I'll look for some information on how to try and define the pitch/frequency etc of mine and come back. Hopefully the poll is still open.

27. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      I have 2 or 3 sounds, some of them get higher when i can hear other sounds... I dont hope i will have this for the rest of my life... im only 22 :/ i hope they can get it back down again i dont mind hearing it when im sleeping but when i can hear it in everyday life its annoying and sad.

28. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      13-16,000 Hz or so. Really want my ultra-high frequency hearing checked; most hearing tests only go to 8,000 Hz I'm told.

29. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Go on audionotch. com and you can match your T and no about where your hearing loss is...

• Like Like x 1
    30. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Good attitude. You can match your T with online tone generators.

• Agree Agree x 1