What Tinnitus Treatments Work?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rich, Feb 25, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      I know this is gonna sound really basic but it's something I really want to just ask this community. ARE THERE TREATMENTS? Ok I get it there are no cures but what actually works? I mean really works? This world is full of BS cures and I just don't want to get my hopes up already feeling pretty damn horrible.

Are we really just screwed now?

2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      Hello Rich, Is this the first forum you been on, or have you been on DS also ?

3. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      First time.

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just heard someone talk about the Massachusettes Ear and Eye Institute that works with T fairly regularly. Have you checked them out ?

5. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      I have not. This is all very new to me and as a matter of fact I'm gonna be starting to call ear doctors on it. I will keep in mind the MEaEI. At this point I'm ready for anything but I'm sorry I have to ask again, there is no striaght treatment for tinnitus is there?

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you got noise exposure damage it might be a hard fix, maybe manage it. How bad is your T 1-10 10 highest ?

7. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      honestly i dont know but to be fair and really think how bad it could be maybe a 6. Noise exposure damage... like music, instruments, concerts, ect?

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes those ,and guns,operating machinery Etc.

I take some meds but that might not be the answer for everyone, TRT is also a possibility

9. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Unfortunately it's for most people habituation and adjustment that is the "treatment".

Tinnitus Retraining Therapy helps achieve habituation. You might want to read this.

If yours is noise induced and onset was recently, look into Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy as that has indeed helped (to the point of tinnitus going away) some - best started ASAP after onset.

Same thing goes for Prednisone, helps some, but should be started as soon as possible after onset.

Betahistine (Betaserc) is a drug that could be tried. It shouldn't have many adverse effects. It's basically indicated for Meniere's disease, but many doctors prescribe it to their tinnitus patients too, there have been cases it has helped.

There are some meds like just1morething said, they might not remove tinnitus completely but may help relieve anxiety and also reduce tinnitus... like Alprazolam (Xanax) and Clonazepam (Klonopin)... Addictive of course. Benzo withdrawal can be a tough thing to go through, so daily usage for long periods is not suggested...

Some have reported getting help from anticonvulsants such as Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica).

But yes, a checkup by ENT would be good, and an audiogram that tests also the higher frequencies over 8kHz.
      If you need anxiolytics, ask your doctor about Clonazepam (Klonopin), as I think that's the drug that's better tried first, xanax builds up tolerance way quicker.

If the audiogram shows you have hearing loss, then even hearing aids could alleviate tinnitus, especially if your hearing loss and tinnitus pitch is measured at below 10kHz. (Usually hearing aids go up to 8kHz, but I heard there are also aids going up to 10kHz available).

Let us know what you find out, the Massachusetts Ear and Eye Institute sounds like a pretty good place, if you can go there.

M

• Like Like x 1
    10. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Ahh, sorry. It's morning here and I guess I had my eyes shut still.

You have written down your tinnitus started a few years back, so HBO and Prednisone are probably ruled out at this point.

But I'm sure the MEaEI is up to date with what could be tried and what tests to take.

(I agree. The lack of treatment options is a sad thing. The scientific community are working on it and hopefully within a few years more emerges.)

Wishing you a pleasant week and welcome aboard,
      Markku

• Like Like x 1
    11. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October, 2012.
      there are no working treatments in terms of relief from the actual tinnitus signal. however, there are a slew of "let's pretend it doesn't exist" therapies, like TRT, that some people find success with.

• Like Like x 1
    12. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Markku, I have a suggestion. So many have the same questions when coming aboard this forum. I think you did a fairly good job of summarizing the question. I would like to see a permanent thread at the top of this forum so new folks can go right to it.

13. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      "let's pretend it doesn't exist"

Interesting way of putting it.

There are thousands of body functions that one doesn't "hear" or is even aware of that is going in one's body. You don't pay attention to any of it as the body does does it thing and your awareness is on the environment. When I am aware of my environment instead of the T, the T doesn't exist. Get it? That's called habituation.

However, my T was screeching month and months ago too. It no longer is. And sometimes it has faded way down to almost nonexistent. My case may not be the same as anybody else's I grant you that. However, having a hopeful and open mind to finding possibilities is important for one's chances of finding relief and or recovery.

And... don't underestimate the placebo effect of treatments/drugs. Many FDA approved drugs are no more effective than a placebo. The studies on the trials of drugs are finding that to be the case many times. I have done enough googling to know that.

Ones' attitude is a big step towards getting any kind of relief.... even if it is just due to habituation. The more resistance one puts out, the more the T screams... that has been my experience. You see, your body tenses and becomes anxious with resistance... which for some reason enhances the noise. Well... maybe not in all cases, but for many people. When stressed out, the T "seems" louder.

And if habituation is the answer, then so be it. I will take it over the noise anytime! ;)

14. Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I believe Rich's T intensified recently like a few days ago. I believe he mentioned that in a thread somewhere.Could these be options in that case?

15. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Rich, I wouldn't say we are totally screwed. There are no cures and treatments are lacking, just some things out there (like Benzos, Neuromonics etc) that help us get by until we reach some level of habituation. There is much more research going on now for T then ever before so I am optimistic that a successful treatment or treatments will be found in the next 5-10 years. Maybe they should study why 99% of people with T are not bothered by it to help us 1% that are.

16. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I have read papers reporting limited successes with rTMS, tDCS and TENS. A few meds too but it is very uncertain. Success rates are low but not insignificant. I tried those treatments without success.

17. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Daedalus, what kind of T would you say you have?

18. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      All i can say is it appeared after a big burn out.

19. steven bock

steven bock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2yrs ago
      New to the forum:

What treatment works? I just ordered the Arches Tinnitus treatment, anyone have any experience with this? Its primarily a Gingko Biloba and Zinc supplement.

But what treatments are out there?

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      hey,

actually you may want to find out what treatment may work for you, although we all suffer the same predicament, our methods of coping are all different, what may work for me may not work for you. check out this site you will find many items of interest of methods to learn to cope. personally I'm all about sound and relaxing methods, tried this tried that over the course of 10 months, and the only supplement i'm still taking right now is magnesium for sleep help.
      welcome to this site read on there are many interesting people here to offer up suggestions. deep breaths and learn to relax.

goodluck !

Danny

21. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Steven ,if you are like me ,you are sadly about to start a journey of trying dozens of things ,seeing dozens of people spending 1000s and still having your T at the end of it.

Its a Brutal reponse but the truth ...and still I keep looking ,researching ,trying.

22. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      hi steven hows the book dose it help any...???

23. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      What is the craziest tinnitus treatment you've come across? And what have you tried that failed, or what have you tried that worked?
      I'll start! I've tried TRT, CBT, about to start Neuromonics, acupuncture, chinese herbs, ginko biloba, vit B1 and B3, notched music, ummmm....that's it so far. No luck yet, damn!

24. LeQuack
      Scared

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Maybe we've died and gone to hell and this is our torture.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      So far just cigarettes and wine, not helping at all.

26. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I read about the one girl who drank Starbucks hot chocolate and ate blueberry muffins and got cured here on tinnitus talk haha don't really know what to think about this miracle

• Like Like x 1
    27. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      When mine first started two years ago, I always got the odd idea in the back of my mind that maybe a Van De Graff generator would stop it.

You know how those set your hair up on end while you're holding it? Figured it might do the same thing for cochlear hair cells...

------------
      In all seriousness though, I did take a two-round course of Prednisone starting a couple weeks after my first onset. By the end of that second round, my T was raging and intrusive (almost like what I've got now, heh), but a month and a half after that my T had been considerably ameliorated.

Don't know if it had ANYTHING to do with it or if it just got better on it's own, but if I could go back in time I'd have started that script on day 1.

28. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      I've read that eating blueberries helps with the thumping noise I sometimes get in one of my ears...I'm not all that sure it works but I do eat a lot of blueberries now :) As for the T...antidepressants...but I'm too early in to give an accurate update....and I know that isn't all that crazy of a treatment if you will, just saving my sanity a bit.

29. Hendre Vlad
      Haunting

Hendre Vlad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Aaaaa, like...videogames ... intense sex ... clasical music....facepalmig myself real hard , ginko biloba , neuromultivit some cream that i have to put it on my whole nech and ears...but nothing so far :(

30. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury
      You should pursue your hobbies, relationships, careers, outdoors stuff or whatever you enjoy to take your attention off the noise.

Life is bigger than Tinnitus.

If you manage to regard it as a lesser problem or nuisance without much impact on your quality of life you won't need vitamins or gingko.

Sometimes it's hard to move on, but I can assure you that time will help you eventually to overcome the psychological struggle with tinnitus, maybe not entirely, but most of it. Most of the time. On occasion it's best to take it step by step day by day, or minute by minute if you have to.