What Tinnitus Treatments Work?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rich, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      I know this is going to sound really basic but it's something I really want to just ask this community.

ARE THERE TREATMENTS?

OK I get it there are no cures but what actually works? I mean really works? This world is full of BS cures and I just don't want to get my hopes up already feeling pretty damn horrible.

Are we really just screwed now?

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Rich, I wouldn't say we are totally screwed. There are no cures and treatments are lacking, just some things out there (like Benzos, Neuromonics etc) that help us get by until we reach some level of habituation. There is much more research going on now for T then ever before so I am optimistic that a successful treatment or treatments will be found in the next 5-10 years. Maybe they should study why 99% of people with T are not bothered by it to help us 1% that are.

3. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I have read papers reporting limited successes with rTMS, tDCS and TENS. A few meds too but it is very uncertain. Success rates are low but not insignificant. I tried those treatments without success.

4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Tavor (Lorazepam / Valium) definitely lowers my tinnitus.
      After my tinnitus onset, I got some Valium injections to calm me down. I had nearly silence.
      But of course this is a benzo and this not what you are looking for here.
      I really try hard not taking them.

Besides that no drug, supplement, food or drink had any influence on my tinnitus yet.

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      The only thing that has helped me is magnesium. It has a calming effect, and does seem to help.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Xanax has a definite effect on my anxiety, which helps to indirectly manage tinnitus but nothing like supplements has helped. I also am wary of supplements now as doctors are warning against taking vitamin E and other vitamins and supplements.

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Nothing will directly help it like get rid of it or even lower it on command but some supplements may help you in other ways such as calm and relax you and this will impact how you react to your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 5
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anti "candida" protocol definitely helps... b12, metafolin, apple cider vinegar, grapeseed extract, flax oil.

This has had a modest but definite impact on my tinnitus; it's also had a pretty amazing impact on my GI and skin health....

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Acupunture and Tradtional Chinese Medicine, have helped me quite a bit. It has reduced my anxiety and I've had some quiet days directly after treatments. Generally, 3 fairly good days a week currently. My Acupuncurist believes, he can get me to 7 good days a week. I'm hoping he's right!

10. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Benzos and Retigabine.

As far as benzos are concerned, Alprazolam or Bromazepam at a specific dose quieten my tinnitus to almost a zero for about a day.
      I do not know if it is the anticonvulsant or/and the muscle relaxant component of the above benzos that does the trick.
      It is definitely not due to their anxiolytic or sedative properties. I feel 100% normal on benzos but my tinnitus goes silent and I have verified that on numerous occasions.
      I believe that benzos are the absolute best relief for tinnitus, as long as they are not abused (I use them maybe 1-2 times a week).
      If a benzo doesn't work for you, you are either not using the right benzo or you are not using the correct dose.

Retigabine is a different monster altogether, at the right dose it will eradicate even the loudest tinnitus and leave me feeling all happy and fluffy for 3-4 hours. The side effects are nasty though, therefore I don't really bother anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Different things work to varying degrees for different people. I could give you a huge laundry list of all the things I've found that have some impact one way or the other, but your list would end up looking a lot different, so who cares.

If anyone finds a drug that works well in even 25% of cases, they will make an absolute mint, but who knows how likely that is: there appear to be many different kinds of "tinnitus" with many different underlaying causes, so it seems a little strange to expect that any one drug will work well for most of them.

Edit: I'm absolutely not suggesting that people shouldn't be curious about this, and try things. I only have my long list of things that hurt it or help it a little, because of painstaking experimentation over a long period of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. iliya
      Curious

iliya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Xanax
    13. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      That made so much sense at the time... shame it wasn’t proven to be effective. Good explanation of tinnitus though... I’d love to see a video explaining tinnitus and different possible causes x

14. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs