What to Do After a Spike Due to Extreme Stress? Supplements? Steroids? Anything?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CostanzaJerry, Jun 6, 2016.

1. CostanzaJerry

CostanzaJerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      What to do after a spike due to extreme stress? Supplements? Steroids? anything?

after some ongoing stress, (and my intial t is probably caused by extreme stress) my T has spiked, it has been two days now, and it took me a loooong and extremely hard battle to 'get used' to the T i already had. Long story since I also deal with other shit.

Im so afraid now with this increase of volume and intensity in both ears but especially the right one, which had less focus somehow than my right ear after the last huge spike (thats lasted) until now since 2014.
      Now after heavy stress my ears feel pressured and some pain (this is how it started/started to increase that time)and it is sensisitive to sound. I made the mistake to even listen to music on headphones(not loud) after the stress to escape all of it, and felt my ears after would like drop for a second in their hearing capacity/sort of deafness, but that was temporarily. But the t is worse in my ears now..before listening to the music, it is due to stress, heavy stress somehow everytime it goes to my ears and heating in the centre of my brain. It is hell, to be in a stressful condition due to my life, and having to be so careful not to let it increase my t. A sick cycle! ...so.

I read so much about steroids , but it is very hard to know if it is good or not, some say it helped them, some say it made it worse other say it didnt do anything. But due to the pyschological side effects of steroids im very afraid to take them,since im already not in a very stable state .. IF the doctor would even prescribe it to me.

I have also read that Prednisone and the like are not just anti inflammatory but complex.
      So that makes it harder to think to maybe pump myself with some anti inflammatory supplements, like Turmic, Garlic, Anti oxidants
      Or does it help? or any other supplements? I already take NAC, should i take more now for a couple of days?
      I just want it to not stay this way, for Godsakes ....it is... yeah. What I had was already hell

Is it smart to just take a lot of benzos for a few days, could that help to lower the 'damage'?

So if anyone here can give me any advice, I would appreciate that very very much!

I also want to thank everyone who has contributed to this site since many people like myself lurking , have read and looked up a lot of information on this site.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      Lowering your stress is the main thing.

Try to off load as much stress as you can at work .
      If things play on your mind then write them down to off load.
      Make time for your self to do some relaxation listening to relaxing music.
      The Healer by Semus Bryne is great to relax too.
      See your doctor for medication for stress if over the counter meds have not helped.
      Taking steroids is only a short fix and mostly used for respiratory problems and given for tinnitus in the first few hours after acustic stock.

Try some deep breathing exercises and to what you can stay calm and will help your tinnitus.
      Keep posting for support...lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CostanzaJerry

CostanzaJerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      Thanks for your reply.
      But it is more about the damage already done due to a high level of stress.
      I havent read about many having the same onset of T as mine. High level of stress crossing a high border and then boom, ears starting to hurt and if it is extremely excessive (and in my case its unpreventable) then it somehow damages my ear, feel pressure in my ears and then the tinnitus is louder and not subjectively, but the times it happened it stayed that way. This is the last thing I could handle with all im going through. I have a certain illness which lets me be caged in my house for years now. And people in my family (who) do not live with me even cause more stress than help, and the upstairs neighbours this time , with a lot of irritating sounds and walking on hardwood floor (i sooooo wish i spoke to them sternly to prevent this high stress, before this happened now, people are so fcking asocial, even if they hear you bang the wall for them to respect their neighbour) and much more, but the story in its whole is much to large to type here.

Therefore my question if there is anything one can do after the 'damage' is already done, is there somehting one can take or do in the first few days, and thereby maybe lowering the spike or help heal the ears somehow..

Actually i dont even know and no doctor ever answered it, how extreme stress causes this, but yeah stress does a lot of sick hard to body and mind, so it is not illogical.

I just dont know... im taking NAC, antioxidants, benzo's (not the cause of t, but to calm down now)grape seed extract, fish oil, garlic supplement..

I just dont know...

thanks

4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Have you tried lavinder as the seance of smell is a good distraction .
      It must be hard not getting out and sounds seem so more intense .
      Would you benefit from wearing while noise generators ?
      Once you have tinnitus the main thing is learning to cope with the sound and its emotions.

Playing sound therapy through the night set below your tinnitus will help your brain push harder to pick up the sound you have chosen and push your tinnitus to the background and helps your brain to filter out tinnitus and not see it as a threat .
      Keep posting for support and welcome pm me anytime ....lots of love glynis

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CostanzaJerry

CostanzaJerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      Thank you for your kind words and your welcoming Glynis.

I would really ask my psych or doctor for Prednisone since my left ear hurts a lot at the moment , and im so scared of louder t.. its already hell what im living. and im doing all i can to survive..
      but because of my dire condition is why im afraid of what Prednisone might do, with the side effects and all..

*This fkcing neighbour has pigeons also, and their constant sound coming from his balcony also gets on my nerves for too long..and i just cant seem to stop the stress, also too tired to be active..

gotdamn what a life. and those people who make it worse for you dont even give a flying fck.

6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have to take prednisalone a lot due so the severity of my asthma.
      A weeks course is fine to take but I'm on it for weeks sometimes......lots of love glynis

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CostanzaJerry

CostanzaJerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      i think it depends on the brain of the person. But is definitely not something that is light..
      I wonder if a wekk of few days could harm someone, but again it depends on the stability of a person. It's such a a paradoxical problem. Wanting to use corticosteroids to prevent increase of t, but the corticosteroids can again produce much larger damage psychologically..... Does anyone know of any CS that are milder or so?

here is an article (one of many) about the dangers of the use:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC181154/

8. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Short week courses are ok.
      You might not sleep as good as the steroids make you feel full of energy and your mood is fine on them and taken in the morning in one dose.

Being on steroids longer than a week needs a slow taper.
      Coming down off steroids can make your mood dip and usually about 48 hours from your first reduction.
      A slow taper by 5mg every 4 days is about right and might feel a little low or tearful but it passes as your body adjusts to the lower dose.
      If you have been in them for months or years then a slower taper off can be done with 2mg or 1mg tablets....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CostanzaJerry

CostanzaJerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      damn.. cant find anywhere to post this.it was a reaction written but copied to word on my laptop.. but now i cant fid the topic.. but ill try here for now:

I think stress definitely can trigger T. There is a big difference I think in onset of course and subjective feel of t due to stress. Of course stress/anxiety makes everything worse...
      But for me tinnitus is created by extreme stress.. after that stress I have felt pain and pressure in my ears.. and after that it started, and when it got worse same thing, and now again... its extremely infuriating to have to deal with so much other health issues and stress and then with that stress get louder t!
      I dont know why there is so little info about this, and how does it work.. i dont even know if i want to know, but the level it is right now.. i dont think i can be able to be here much longer... with all Ive been through fighting so hard to survive and hopefully live one day...its is extremely sad, tragic and insane making to drop out this life because of worsened t , due to stress, due to ignorant and apathic people around me, and the things they cotinued to cause..

its like the stress attacks the folicles in my inner ear.. it hurts a lot but especially that pressure feeling, it is extremely obvious that stress causes it, i also feel a burning sensation in the midst of my brain.
      i fought hard and long to watch out for that level of stress, although i cant run from it all the time, since i live it.. and im already doing everything i can to get out of this 'situation'.. but when you're reaching the max of the max of your ability, and then neighbors keep disturbing you , and other unforseen uncontrollable things happening then...thats it.. i tried everything, bought so much supplements to counter the damage..but last night was the worst night of my life.. i couldnt escape the tinnitus, i was sooo tired and just wanted to sleep, to lie there.. the tv was on. but i just couldn't get it out of my mind, especially in that part where the consciousness shift between awake and asleep.. it was HELL.. and i just dont know what to do.. and it is so unfair that stress that you are already fighting against can make your life even worse..till there is no solution anymore.. with everything you can maybe take some fucked up pills but with t..this level and i dont see it lowering, thats the difference between stress damaged t, and tinnitus that is temporarily worse because of a spike in stress.. Th e difference is if you can also feel it in your ear, like the efffect of stress immediately felt in the ear as pressure and pain.. feeling the damage its doing.

I am still hoping here it ...will fade back..but i think..with the experience i had with the pain before.. is that im fucked.but i dont want to believe it..(im sorry for this drama..but it is a drama, it is a tragedy..i have been fighting so hard for years, in a way you cant imagine. 4 walls..fighting to get my life back later on tinnitus joined the club etc etc etc etc)
      Its insane to be trapped with a life and diseases that give so much stress, stuck in a house, and no real help or ...anyway the story is too long, but its so unfair that that stress gives me even more damage, spiraling into..pfff. God..

and now update, days further and it is driving me mad.. i drink, take pills.. I feel like im cursed..i wet trhough heel with the last spike and fought so hard for a year and more..wwith all the other shit i have aswell. and now it is increased?!!? to a much higher level and fluctuating sounds in the left ear. and it keeps giving me pain..i already take NAC and curcumin and ther supplements, and also steroid nasal spray..but nothing..

10. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      You need to calm down your system first! Go to the doc, take a week off work, take some Xanax if necessary, sleep, exercise, eat healthy and do stuff to take your mind off of it. It ll drop down to baseline, I m positive ;)