What's the worst part about having tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Logan, Jan 16, 2014.

1. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I have read some people reporting the same pattern. T can spike on almost predictable cycle for some. For others it may be just because their T is caused by something in their body physiology, such as blood flow to the ears or muscle tension or oxygen level. I heard some people with sleep apnea can have loud ringing after they sleep without the CPAP machine, thus starving their body of needed oxygen at night and they can wake up to very loud T. Some people can have their T turned on by eating/drinking something such as Caffeine, MSG, salt, etc. One well known tinnitus personality Paul Tobey, a Canadian concert pianist who was featured on ATA even said his T was much reduced when he started eating foods suitable for his blood type. Go figure. So when he ate foods not suited, his T just flared up. So there are many reasons why T just spikes one day from the next. You will have to see if there is a certain pattern which can trigger the spikes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Markku, make it happen!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      :wacky:
      totally agree Riikka! I am in the same place. Bedtime sucks, and waking up sucks!!:grumpy:

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Stelly

Stelly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Thank you for the info.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know you have to take precautions with loud noise, taking certain medications that might be ototoxic etc, but I believe you have to lose the fear of tinnitus, worrying if it will get worse in the future only adds to the misery of people who are suffering, live in the moment. Millions of people have tinnitus, normal happy people that live their lives without giving a thought about tinnitus, let alone worrying if it will get worse. Its like worrying you aren't go to live to be old or worrying if you might get cancer in your lifetime, fear is what drives the misery/suffering, I used to have the same worry, that made me depressed, now I don't think about these things I'm happy.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Do u go clubbing and to parties where they have loud music ....

7. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      the worst thing T is when I set at my room and get bored, because the only thing I listen to is my best friend T :(

8. terrihastinnitus
      Cheerful

terrihastinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      i'm not sure that my T is the same as anyone else's, unless i haven't read threads correctly, which could very well be the case. my T is only in one ear. it's constant. it doesn't come and go like some peoples' do that i have read thus far. it's there 24/7. sometimes it's louder than other times. sometimes it's more noticable than other times. i have also started to feel dizziness at times. when i plug my right ear [the one that doesn't have T] i cannot hear at all.

i am afraid that i will go deaf

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      No I am not a club person. But I do go to parties such as Christmas and New Year's celebration. I won't stand in front of loud speakers. Just need to be prudent. Although I do go to movies like 'Iron Man', 'Man of Steel' etc. etc. without needing to wear ear plugs now. I started with using them but gradually phasing them out. If it really gets too loud in a few scenes, my fingers are the best ear plugs for those few moments, LOL. In general, I prefer going outdoor to nature. It is quiet there mostly unless I am fishing salmon at the rapids. My T can be dominant in the quiet setting, but the heck with the T bully. I choose to fight & dare this bully. I don't give it a dime any more and I won't allow it to rob me of my outdoor life. If I really need it, an ipod with nature sounds will do some partial masking. So at times I may be masking T in nature with nature. Go figure & what a joke, LOL. Love my life with T or no T. Be positive, be prudent, but don't let T dictate your life. My new motto is to live life abundantly to compensate for any T suffering, and the suffering will get less and less as time passes. Time is on our side. Cheers.

10. TJPositive
      Fine

TJPositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Probably how quicky it can change my mood. I'm lucky enough to have it at a bareable noise most of the time, but when it spikes out of no where my mood immediately goes downhill and only improves once it's back to normal. It's an incredibly stressful time because you never know when it'll return to normal, or if it will at all.

A close second is not being able to commit to thoughts at times. When this happens I feel like I can't utilize my full brainpower in trying to contemplate and analyse whatever information is presented before me. This bothers me deeply because I'm left with the thoughts that my 'conclusions' on the matter may be either unintentionaly 'false' or not the 'conclusions' that I would have arrived at without the hounding noise. It's as though tinnitus has changed me as a person and I'm not my normal past self. Which I kind of believe is somewhat true.:dunno: