When I Swallow or Move My Jaw, My Ears Pop and Crackle — What Causes It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maggie445, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Maggie445

Maggie445 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have had these symptoms for roughly 10 years now. My doctor diagnosed me with TMJ, however, I don't believe the diagnosis is correct?

This all started after having an ear infection when I was a child, I've never heard of an ear infection causing TMJ.

Basically, whenever I swallow or move my jaw, my ears pop and crackle. I also get a loud click sometimes.

Also, I have realised that whenever I go for a drive, my ears start to feel full on uphill sections. I was thinking tensor tympani or veli palatini syndrome based on my research, however these are involuntary. These noises only happen on swallowing or by moving my jaw.

I'm at a lost for words. I just want these to disappear.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      When I swallow, my ears pop and crackle like that. I think it's the Eustachian tubes flexing. I always figured it was normal?

3. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      I can hardly remember a time now when I didn't have the crackle. You'll get used to it.

But... I did speak to an ear surgeon who suggested that the fullness could be related to jaw tension and said there were some recent studies about it. I had mentioned sometimes my ear itched and he said that was also mentioned in the study.

The clicking is your Eustachian tubes. It could be an allergy related thing which you could talk to an allergist about. I did talk to an allergist, but I didn't want to do medication or anything for the one thing I'm allergic to (mold).

The fullness could be allergies as well. My ears will get super full if I'm on an incline driving up a hill... I wear "EarPlanes" when I'm going to be going up fast. Otherwise I'll just wear foam earplugs which help a bit too.

4. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      The noise is from your Eustachian tubes opening and it is completely normal. Maybe not everyone experiences the sound to the same degree, but I certainly have it and I doubt that there is much that can be done about it. The feeling you feel when you go up a hill is because of the pressure difference between your middle ear and the outer environment and that is also normal.

5. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Does it also appear when you talk? It does for me, but not all days. I have no idea how to stop the crackling...

6. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What made it first appear?

7. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello!

One good thing for you, actually for all tinnitus sufferers, would be to relax your jaw and neck... It will help you I am sure!

8. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      It started after I got tinnitus. I don't remember it before then. When I grew up, I would occasionally have ear fullness. I also had extremely high range hearing, so was pretty ear conscious. But the crackling really didn't happen until after tinnitus.