When I Swallow or Move My Jaw, My Ears Pop and Crackle — What Causes It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maggie445, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Maggie445

Maggie445 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have had these symptoms for roughly 10 years now. My doctor diagnosed me with TMJ, however, I don't believe the diagnosis is correct?

This all started after having an ear infection when I was a child, I've never heard of an ear infection causing TMJ.

Basically, whenever I swallow or move my jaw, my ears pop and crackle. I also get a loud click sometimes.

Also, I have realised that whenever I go for a drive, my ears start to feel full on uphill sections. I was thinking tensor tympani or veli palatini syndrome based on my research, however these are involuntary. These noises only happen on swallowing or by moving my jaw.

I'm at a lost for words. I just want these to disappear.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      When I swallow, my ears pop and crackle like that. I think it's the Eustachian tubes flexing. I always figured it was normal?

3. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      I can hardly remember a time now when I didn't have the crackle. You'll get used to it.

But... I did speak to an ear surgeon who suggested that the fullness could be related to jaw tension and said there were some recent studies about it. I had mentioned sometimes my ear itched and he said that was also mentioned in the study.

The clicking is your Eustachian tubes. It could be an allergy related thing which you could talk to an allergist about. I did talk to an allergist, but I didn't want to do medication or anything for the one thing I'm allergic to (mold).

The fullness could be allergies as well. My ears will get super full if I'm on an incline driving up a hill... I wear "EarPlanes" when I'm going to be going up fast. Otherwise I'll just wear foam earplugs which help a bit too.

4. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      The noise is from your Eustachian tubes opening and it is completely normal. Maybe not everyone experiences the sound to the same degree, but I certainly have it and I doubt that there is much that can be done about it. The feeling you feel when you go up a hill is because of the pressure difference between your middle ear and the outer environment and that is also normal.

• Like Like x 1
    5. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Does it also appear when you talk? It does for me, but not all days. I have no idea how to stop the crackling...

6. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What made it first appear?

7. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello!

One good thing for you, actually for all tinnitus sufferers, would be to relax your jaw and neck... It will help you I am sure!

8. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It started after I got tinnitus. I don't remember it before then. When I grew up, I would occasionally have ear fullness. I also had extremely high range hearing, so was pretty ear conscious. But the crackling really didn't happen until after tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    9. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I myself have it too, and cannot remember having it before tinnitus. But there are times when I don't have crackling, though I cannot control it. I have tried to figure out what triggers its worsening, and I have narrowed it down to either loud sudden sounds (like sudden 80+ dB sounds) OR emotional events that triggers a rapid heartbeat (which in my theory also triggers all muscles to harden). Difficult to know what because the noises usually always triggers the emotional response as well...

Do you have it 24/7 or are there also some times you don't?

10. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I have all the same symptoms. Ear fullness is the worst behind the high pitched ringing. Diagnosed with TMJ, chronic allergies and a some ETD due to chronic inflammation due to allergic rhinitis.

My jaws hurt from tensing them unconsciously all day and clenching at night. Tinnitus gets worse as the day goes on. Aggravated by talking, chewing etc throughout the day. I always know it is going to be a loud night.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. SectorClear

SectorClear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/ETD/stress
      This is literally me, I'm somewhat glad to read this as I'm struggling to sleep right now, it's so loud. I wish I could stop the clenching during the day and grinding my teeth at night.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I’m getting ready to go to bed right now and all I can think about is how loud my flipping ears are. Such a high-pitched screech. Good luck.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I spoke to an ear doctor about this once and he said potentially both in the jaw muscles could alleviate the clenching if it gets to a dangerous degree. Definitely use a night guard or your teeth will suffer.

14. SectorClear

SectorClear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/ETD/stress
      I do, have one made from a TMJ doctor. My jaw has locked up every morning for the last week so I'm definitely still grinding my teeth all night every night. Getting a sleep study done tonight to see if I have sleep apnea, I've heard that can cause bruxism and snoring, both of which I do.

15. Mr Eastblom

Mr Eastblom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun shot 2015, acoustic shock 2022
      I have had the same symptoms for 6 months.

Any success stories? Could this go away?

16. Josh59

Josh59 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long-term noise trauma
      Hello,

Indeed, I have also read that the cracking of the ears / Eustachian tube could be linked to chronic over-contraction / pressure in the jaw muscles or in the neck area.

Then as I have hyperacusis too, I wonder if the cracking sound is not due to the increase in sound gain that causes hyperacusis, in the same way that the sound of crunchy food is louder when chewing.

17. OptimistWarrior

OptimistWarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof
    18. Michael_EDH

Michael_EDH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely SSHL
      I have noticed this since I first got tinnitus. For me it's a crackling/popping sound that happens mainly when I swallow. It can also be caused when trying to clear pressure from my ears or sometimes randomly. It doesn't hurt and it occurs when chewing too.

As time went on, it doesn't seem as noticeable to me anymore. I don't know if it's related to Eustachian tubes or not.

I hope it goes away for you.

19. SilentRob187

SilentRob187 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Bruxism/ETD/COVID-19 Vaccine (one or all?)
      I had a turbinate reduction on the side I was having the same thing you are describing. I also started allergy shots. Once my sinuses on that side cleared, it got rid of everything (my ETD). I also stopped Neti pot and Flonase. My ENT said I have deformed Eustachian tube on that side which doesn't drain well, and creates disequilibrium.

My guess is yours can be fixed and minimized like mine. It didn't completely go away but it's gone 98% of the time.