When/If a Cure Is Found, What Type of Cure Do You Think It Will Be?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raphael7713, May 31, 2017.

1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I don't hear it but thatw because i play purple noise from my phone to mask it.

Also, I haven't been to a concert in a year or so but i've never seen many people working protection at them.

2. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I would not say this is a myth, but I strongly believe people saying they have T, but not HL is in many, many cases not true or misunderstood. Now, why would people say this: they would bc they have completed a hearing test and the audiogram comes out fine. But I suspect a lot of people only measure the low half of our hearing capacity ie. 250-8000 Hz and NOT 8000-16000 Hz which in many cases tells a totally different story. I know it does for me. It also explains my T "red on white"(as the right ear audiogram is usually printed in red color.) Still I had to ask several times for my audiologist to do this. She didnt know what I was gonna use it for as it falls out of our daily frequency hearing.

You also have what we call hidden hearing loss(damage to the synapses of the HC). HL that will not show on an audiogram, but will still be recognized by the brain and can generate T. Then you have damage to the outer hair cells which may or may not show in an audiogram. It depend on the scope of damage.

Isolated outer HC damage can only be measured through a so called emission test. And as far as I know the can only be used on the lower frequencies. I don´t even think it can measure the scope of the damage.

All of these things only applies to the cochlea. There can also be other problems with the audiological pathways.
      My point is, I think a lot of people who claim they have perfect hearing and still got T. Maybe not!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      yeah definitely... but its kinda weird how some people that still have low hearing impairment but struggle with T and then you have others that might have more impairment and dont experience it on an intrusive level... maybe this comes down to genes as well.. again so many questions and little answers...

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think a combo of ototoxicity and noise exposure can be very dangerous, the ear is compromised and unprotected when under the influence of some of these common drugs, even over the counter pain killers can linger in the ear. Sure, a lot of people have tinnitus triggered by noise exposure, yet when seeking help, professionals fail to recognize how the patients ears may have been in a weakened poisoned state at the time of the event. Only the noise exposure is taken into consideration.

I think the big picture is missing. Even things like cigarettes can damage/weaken the ear, and cause deafness and tinnitus. Maybe a smoker, or worse yet, a drunk smoker on multiple medications, goes to a concert and and walks out with serious ear trauma. Most of the time only the noise event will be considered the culprit, and all other factors left out.

Obviously I'm not arguing that noise alone can damage the ear, my point here is that a lot of the time there are other factors involved but are rarely considered.

• Like Like x 1
    5. BraveNewWorld

BraveNewWorld Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress.
      There's so many different forms of tinnitus. You can cure tinnitus now if you have amalgam tooth fillings by getting them removed. You can get rid of tinnitus caused by eustachian tube dysfunction by lots of decongestants and valsava. Tinnitus caused by hearing loss will likely be cured by injecting the middle ear with a serum that tells the supporting cells to divide and some to turn into hair cells.

If you're talking about an end-all-be-all cure. Then it has to be some sort of drug therapy that puts the brakes on the hyperactivity in the auditory cortex or some drug that allows the limbic system to properly filter the tinnitus.

6. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      A pill taken once a day with no side effects would nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Guys, a pill is the last thing we want. Pharma tech is not advanced enough to selectively turn on cellular repair of any kind. Pills are from the 1980's, we CANNOT let them feed us a pill. We need a cell based therapy, that is proportionate to the mechanical injury.

8. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I completely agree, what ruins an ear one day could be pleasurable stimulus under different physiological conditions. Alcohol numbs nerve viii, causing drunk people to roar and do things like stand next to speakers.