When One Ear Is Blocked Does the Other Ear Compensate?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi,

Quick question... I developed Otitis Externia in my right ear canal last week. My ear feels blocked and according to the GP whilst the canal isn't swollen there is some 'coating' on the ear drum and infection in the canal. I'm using some quite thick greasy drops he prescribed me.

My hearing in the right ear is definitely reduced. I tested this by covering my left ear whilst listening to a tv presenter and I could hardly hear him, then I covered my right ear and could hear him perfectly well with my left ear.

My hearing has felt amplified these last few days. Could the imbalance between the two ears be causing this?

Normally my hearing is reasonably equal on both sides, my right ear a little lower than my left, but nowhere near what it is at the minute due to the infection.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I haven't heard of such acute amplification, but it could be possible. Our bodies have all sorts of compensatory mechanisms so as to 'keep our system running' or to protect us from potential danger. Is your T also amplified by any chance?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Not especially but my head does feel out of balance somehow.

4. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Well, the inflammation is quite close to the vestibular system, so that might be the reason :O
      I'm sure it will fade with time.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, there may be an imbalance as you say, this is, you may be hearing louder on the side where your ear is not blocked.

• Like Like x 1