When to Run for the Hills in Noisy Environments?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Flamingo1, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Unfortunately in today's super loud world, 70 decibels and above is the norm for most places of public gathering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I know - this pattern is so familiar now. The reality is that stress/anxiety can of course cause tinnitus to spike temporarily but this temporary spike is not to be compared to the much longer - sometimes permanent - rise in tinnitus due to a lengthy loud noise exposure incident. And then of course the same person who is giving this wrong advice is now claiming to be an expert in ototoxic medicines (without any qualifications naturally) ...

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Are you serious? So you think it’s a good idea for unqualified people on a forum to give advice about who should be taking certain drugs? Telling people to lie about their exposures so they can get access to it?

I can’t believe what I read on here sometimes, and I have no idea why you hold a grudge either, David, but obviously, you do. Your posts are predictable because of my username and it’s getting boring. I tried to engage your help with a new petition on another thread, so we could do something a bit more proactive together and actually help the cause, but it seems you’d rather start arguments instead which I don’t understand. What’s the point?

As far as qualifications go, I regularly discuss some of the things I read on here with medical professionals who are in my inner circle (of various disciplines), and they would strongly disagree with you. I helped @chaLLas within a few hours of receiving his X-rays with a dental problem he had, and I can do the same with pretty much any other condition. I’ve helped my wife and family numerous times with various conditions and problems with the contacts I have. This particularly helped when my mom, dad, and wife were in hospital.

The snide little remarks you constantly make just raise a wry smile from me because I don’t understand what your problem is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      @Ed209 said So you think it’s a good idea for unqualified people on a forum to give advice about who should be taking certain drugs?

So what I said if you actually bother to read it is in fact the precise opposite. That I think it's a very, very bad idea for an unqualified person - you - to be giving advice about what drugs someone should be taking or not - as you have been doing in this thread.

And just to be absolutely clear:

1. I have never told any person on tinnitus talk what medication they should or should not be taking - because that is the job of their doctor.

2. You on this thread have been telling people what medication they should or should not be taking and claiming expertise on this medication - despite your having none. You should not be doing this.

Nobody - least of all those new to tinnitus should be following your advice on medication - or on anything else for that matter.

Hope that clears things up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I don’t give advice about drugs that’s what I’m against? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. I always tell people to go and see a Dr.

7. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      @Ed209. Please stop lying about what you have been saying on this thread because the evidence is there for all to see. Despite having absolutely no medical training you have said the following:

"However, in your case, acoustic trauma is incredibly unlikely"

"It’s far more likely that you have fluid behind your eardrum"

"Prednisone is also ototoxic …"

"There’s also a good chance that you have pushed earwax up against your eardrum"

"It was very irresponsible of the Dr to give you prednisone for something that isn’t an acoustic trauma."

Let's have a look at that last sentence in particular. You @Ed209 someone with absolutely no medical training who has never met the person in question are contradicting the advice of a trained healthcare professional who has done a medical examination of this person. Ed this really must stop. We all know you think incredibly highly of yourself but you should not be giving advice about medication to people on here - let alone contradicting the advice of trained experts.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Seriously, David, I don’t know what your problem is but your behaviour is alarming. I have no idea what your motives are but some of the stuff you do like commenting on and liking your own posts is bizarre. I don’t have an issue with anyone but you continually cause problems and make issues. People reading here don’t know the half of it. People fall out over stuff all the time, but you take it to a whole new level of weird.

By the way, the advice above is just that, general advice of what I’ve learned over the years. None of which informs people what drugs to take or anything that’s inappropriate. Even with that said, I always tell people to go see a professional. Regarding the last sentence, based on the information given at that time, it seemed extreme.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      No Ed it's your behaviour and your - "I know better than the trained doctor who has done an examination of this patient" attitude which is alarming. What's the point of telling people to see a doctor if your attitude is "don't listen to them listen to me"? This is only likely to have a negative affect on anyone on here who mistakenly follows your advice. For anyone new to tinnitus talk please bear in mind that @Ed209 has no medical training and no diagnostic ability and you should not follow his advice rather than your own doctor's

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve never said or implied that. I honestly don’t know what to make of you and the reasons you have for doing the things you do. I can’t figure out if you’re a troll or just crazy.

You’re starting to make me look crazy with all these pointless arguments you start. You can start a silly argument easily enough, repeatedly, but don’t want to help with stuff that’s positive and proactive.

11. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      A722B296-AA2D-4DA2-BB98-78C79F87754E.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In theory, it would seem that someone who has graduated from a medical school would be more helpful than the people here. However, why use theory, when we can obtain empirical evidence:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...orum-more-useful-than-your-ents-advice.28006/

One possible reason for the finding above is that the future doctors don't spend a lot of time in medical school studying how to manage/treat tinnitus. Years of living with the condition and learning about it every day just might beat a 15 minute mention during a lecture that took place 25 years ago. The reason the professors at the medical school spend so little time talking about tinnitus is that in addition to there being no treatments, there has been very little research done into what is and what is not safe for tinnitus sufferers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      @Ed209 said

You’re starting to make me look crazy

But that's not very difficult. Please look at the things you have written in this thread. Here they are again:

"However, in your case, acoustic trauma is incredibly unlikely"

"It’s far more likely that you have fluid behind your eardrum"

"Prednisone is also ototoxic …"

"There’s also a good chance that you have pushed earwax up against your eardrum"

"It was very irresponsible of the Dr to give you prednisone for something that isn’t an acoustic trauma."

All of these sentences assume you have special diagnostic powers, medical expertise and better knowledge and understanding than the person's own doctor.

You have none of these things Ed. Please learn from this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I apologise for mine and David’s argument clogging up this thread. This is not what a support forum is all about and I will ignore future notifications to save the rest of you from this insanity.

Let’s all just be kind and supportive to each other and let’s help the cause.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Here's somebody whose tinnitus also spikes in noisy places below 70 dB @Ed209. How do you explain this?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Stress would not cause aural fullness either, which I STILL have, six days after the acoustic trauma.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are not fooling anyone: You are out of arguments.
      If someone doesn't want to follow the argument, all they need to do is to place the people participating in the argument on their Ignore list (hopefully temporarily) and then reload the page.
      It is interesting how you haven't been feeling this way back when you thought you had convincing arguments/counterarguments!

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Bill Bauer
      I'm choosing to take that one personally because before t I was that guy down the street. Man I really miss chainsaws....

FWIW I never 'ported' a chainsaw to make it louder. That's when people open up the exhaust to give the saw more power and make them loud as f .

To all forum members. This is a tongue in cheek joke please don't read into it. Bill's ok in my book.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      With all due respect, and not to harp on this, but you are not in any position to tell those with clinically observed noise-induced hearing loss that their reaction to noise is "imagined."

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Did the spike wear down yet?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes, it did! And the fullness has about 90% cleared up.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I think the only thing that is toxic for you guys is the way most of you behave here on this forum. It's just negativity and hostility, I'd worry more about the toxic place this forum has become lately but whatever floats your boats. Some people seem to love misery.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So what made it go away then?

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      We love to Prevent misery.

"Non-toxic" advice begets:
      entma18-plack_fig-2-new-png-png.png

• Agree Agree x 4
    25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The body can heal itself unless one keeps getting exposed to more shocks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's not entirely true. Some traumas you can never heal from, which is evident from us all being here at this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Let me rephrase, some people love to add more misery to their lives :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you talking about the people who take risks and act recklessly (which could eventually add more misery to their lives)?

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was putting forward a theory about why his spike has settled. The statement might not be true in general, but it could be true for his case.

30. Agatha

Agatha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Life lived in fear and avoidance is not a life lived at all. If the tinnitus gets worse, so be it... suicide is then always an option.

• Funny Funny x 2