Where Did the Time Go?

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Chris Alexander, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey people!

So it has been a while since I have posted - apologies!

Anyway, I am coming up to my one year anniversary of tinnitus and what a journey it has been. My T, aside from the first couple of weeks when it was REALLY loud, has not changed much. Sometimes it goes completely, mostly it is like a TV has been left on either side of my ears and occasionally it is a bit loud.

So if your T has started very recently then don't panic - most T will die down over time or go away completely. Don't take my word for it, the British tinnitus association have many polls in this and people here will also tell you the same.

Anyway, I think the topic of anxiety needs to be discussed more with newbies and having anxiety helps to talk about it!

So if you are reading this and you have just got here then don't worry - there is hope and you will find a lot of support here.

See what you will come to realise eventually is that, that annoying noise you hear is not really a problem. The anxiety and panic is the main problem. I can never emphasise enough that these are the two things you need to learn to deal with because once you do the noise drastically reduces in your brains threat meter - and stops paying much attention to it. Thus you hear it less.

Perfect example - I go to work in a quiet office and for hours I won't hear the clock which ticks loudly - mainly because I don't see it as a threat and also because I'm busy and not focused on it. Then when my attention is brought to it - it is so loud! We have all done that. Your T is no different as you will soon find out!

Go to the doctor, take some vallium, take some sleeping pills, take CBT, whatever..., but get your anxiety under control and your life will be MUCH easier. Trust me on this and everyone else will tell you the same. I find worrying about the future of my T getting worse a lot harder to deal with than the T.... The mind is strange!?

Also - make sure you stay active and keep with your social life - this is probably the most important thing you can do while sorting your anxiety - again, ask anyone here they will back me up on this!

Another thing I found was to not mask it too much - I found that letting myself hear it and get used to it worked for me. I appreciate this will not suit everyone depending on how they feel. Suffice to say I sleep in total silence with it buzzing away - not one fuck given. You will also be like that, give it time folks!!!

Remember - Rome wasn't built in a day. We all have crap days with T.... Even people who are completely habituated. However if it wasnt the T annoying you it would be something else. Never lose sight of the big
      Picture!

Keep your chins up everyone, it for sure gets better, live life to the full and bollocks to the T!

Keep fighting the good fight!

Feel free to message me if anyone needs to have a rant!

Chris

P.s pardon the expletives but I'm Scottish and it's kinda of my national identity. It is also good the soul. Ha!

• Like Like x 14
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 2
    2. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

aye.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Just met a guy from Glasgow this last week, Drew Miller..Anyways tks for the positive post, though I have more severe h, nice for newbies to read.

Also I am part Scottish too. (McDiarmid)

Cheers!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      When mine started it was SUPER loud..... I did start getting used to it though and it then calmed down. I guess the same principle applies really. It's all about your attitude.

I'm from Glasgow too haha.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

I know, I looked at your profile because your name was familiar. ;)

I know Glasgow isn't a village but you and him look similar age..who knows?! It is a small world hehe

yea H is an ugly beast tho..been with me for years.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      great story @Chris Alexander ! thank you so much for coming baxk and posting! :))
      I have one question. How do you live your life concerning social events? do you go to pubs and parties? would you say you are happy?

• Like Like x 1
    7. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Great post and all true. I also got my H under control when I got my anxiety under control, but it took months to get better from that. Anxiety also messes with my sleep which can make T louder, but I try and control that too.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Zora - yeah I'm at a gig just now and I have ear plugs in. I'm getting
      Custom ones made at the end of May. I have them in a case and they are attached to my house keys - they
      Come everywhere. I go to party's, gigs, cinema, loud clubs and bars etc.... A good rule of thumb - if you have to raise your voice to
      Be heard, use ear plugs. It's been a good mantra for me.

• Like Like x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    9. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Hey Chris, always good to see a fellow weegie on here.

Inspiring story. I was just like you until I made the mistake a few weeks ago of going to a gig without earplugs. Big mistake!! Not sure if my tinnitus is much louder or my brain has just switched onto red alert with it again , but i'm going through the struggle again. Beat it once will beat it again!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey mate

Yeah I got ear plugs and I have them in a tiny case attached to my house keys. They go everywhere and I take no chances!

11. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      Hey Chris,

I remember your posts a year ago when I first had my T and I have been through the same journey as you did !

I indeed agree with about controlling the anexity ! That is the key !

But despite of that ! I beleive you might agree that for us whom had it for a year or more now still fear of what is the next challenge level ? Will it increase in volume now ! ? Or a new sound might be introduced !? If that is the case, it just sucks going through the same cycle again and again every couple of years Lol

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Cheers from Dubai

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey Zaid

Yeah, I remember you!

Yeah I struggle with the worry if it's going to get worse more than the T itself. Anxiety is a bastard for sure!

If it wasn't for my anxiety I would never hear my T to be honest.

Do you get the fleeting tinnitus? Every so often one ear ''fills up'' and you get a loud ring for about 30 seconds?

13. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      Now that is the exact fear that I am still worried about mate !

That sudden fleeting sound that comes all of a sudden for few seconds every week or so ! And it make you start thinking " what the hell is that now ? Isn't it enough what I have already !!" ....I just hope none of those sounds decide to stay permenatly adding a new anexity journey and cycle !

I hope that the more experienced gents here can confirm that worry for us ! At least to be prepared :dohanimation: :)

14. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      I get that every other week or so too. I think I even got that even before I had tinnitus. I'm sure it's quite common in most people tbh, we just put more focus on it as we already have the condition.

15. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Good to hear positive vibes. I think us Belfast ones speak the same dialect. Its a matter of time I suppose. I don't give a toss about the t during the day. I just haven't got used to the nights. That will be a big breakthrough for me.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Take phenegran....
      ptong pill

17. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aye and the odd bottle of wine. Not together though.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      The best advice I can give you is to just lie in bed and listen to it - just give yourself the opportunity to take the mystery and the sting out of it. That's what I did and it helped me. I can sleep with zero sound at all and if I can do it, you can to!

• Like Like x 2
    19. Luis

Luis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dude, its like ive met my twin. Your mindset is exactly like mine! Thats exactly what i tell myself. Ive had T for a little over 5 years and i can tell you that ive only noticed it like 2-3 times a year. Your mind is powerfull and if you tackle T staright on and not mask as much, you will have incredible results.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. Rob 207
      Artistic

Rob 207 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, noise.
      Thanks for the positive post, Chris. Your advice and encouragement are very helpful! I though you were crazy to be able to sleep well in a quiet room, but alas, now I can now do the same! What a relief!!!

• Like Like x 2
    21. barbb

barbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Chris Alexander I've had TAnd H for about 2 mths now....:(
      Was wondering your thoughts on me wearing my ear plugs in the gym if I keep them on low?
      Also I work in a lunch room 7/8 th graders.....very loud......I've been using cotton in my ears...?Is it normal to be quiet for hours then come blaring back for days?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      @barbb

Hey, Iam sorry you are not having a good time at the moment. I cant really speak for H - It is not something I have ever had - unless I have it and not aware of it. Although I assume I would know if I did?

As for T - I wear ear plugs when in noisy places - clubs, bars etc. If I have to shout/raise my voice to be heard then I stick my plugs in or if for some reason I dont have them, I leave. That is just me though. I have friends who have T - they go to raves, clubs, loud bars etc and dont wear any protection - they just get a spike for a while and then it goes again - one of them has had his T for 20 years! I was out on Saturday and Sunday my T spiked up untill yesterday - it does this randomly as well but I am also thinking the plugs were not the best... alas it has reduced today so far. I wouldnt reccomend this though - its better to be over cautious for sure.

I think overall people with T are very over cautious and think that every sound will damage them. Its worth noting that it took me years of playing my IPOD full blast in my ears (IDIOT!! lol) and drumming and loud clubs to do my damage - as long as you are not standing next to a jet plane, going to a noisy bar (without music blasting) for a couple hours will not damage you..... but again its good to be over cautious for sure.

I think for me if I was you - I would look at two things. Do you need to shout to be heard or can you talk to people normally? or cover an ear so you can hear what they say in the other ear? If you need to shout wear plugs (you can get really discreet ones which people cant even notice)... The next thing would be do your ears hurt in a given environment? If yes, wear plugs.

Hopefully I have been of some help but I would also reccomend speaking with an ENT if you have not already.

Good luck!!

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      @barbb

Sorry I forgot to answer your question fully...

Is it normal for it to be quiet then come back blaring? - YES. Totally. I dont get as many random spikes as I useds to but I get them about once per month for a day or two... They used to spike for weeks at a time before. People think that T is the be all and end all however T, as many many people will tell you, does and can heal.... it just takes longer to heal, thats all and with time most T gets much better. When mine started it was LOUD..... started off like sea shells, moved to a high pitched tone then moved to a ''dhhhhhhhh'' that was really annoying... alas it has settled down to a sea shell/tv type sound now with the odd spike and fleeting T. So it has definetly got better since it started over all - my T can be drowned out by just talking usually. Remember you have only had 2 months of this - IT WILL get better. Just try and relax, chill out and live your life as you would do normally AND STAY AWAY FROM HORROR STORIES. they are the exception, not the rule.

Gym - no, I dont wear plugs in the gym personally - although dont be surprised if you get a spike after excercise, I still do at times. Again this is normal ( probably something to do with blood flow to the ears )and will come down again.

Good luck!!

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure

MAn it is such a relief eh!?? Congrats!

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I dont want my post to sound like I am some how amazing at overcoming T or anything - I also have shit days where my anxiety plays up and I feel like shite - however the good days FAR outweigh the bad days with T and thankfully, I no longer feel that same horrific panic and anxiety as when it started. So while things improve loads - you will have crap days however they are not as crap as the initial onset.

A positive attitude, supportive people ( from here and also friends ) and a willingness to live your life normally is the best remedy for T in my opinion....

• Like Like x 1
    26. barbb

barbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Chris Alexander thanks for your input......I know it's still new but it still sucks.....I'm at the gym at 5:00 am and usually 90% of the time my T goes away about an hour later....then I go to work in the lunch room and it comes back right away......what kind of ear plugs would u recommend? I tried cotton but that does nothing.....and when I go to a bar the cotton seems to do nothing....:(yes I have been to an ENT.....he suggested Lypoflavonoid....since it bothers me that much.....if that doesn't work after 2 mths he said forget it,,,,,,,,started 4/8...... Thanks in advance

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      @barbb

Yeah I wouldn't use cotton. I used alpine party plugs - though I think I've caused a spike in mine. For the first time in a year, mine moved to the centre of my head about 2 am last night. My anxiety severely spiked for sure! Now it's gone back to the usual. So if I were you be extra safe - get one specifically moulded for your ears!

28. barbb

barbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Chris Alexander glad your spike didn't last long! For some reason I had a break last nite but this am when I woke up its blaring!with the ear plugs u mean get from an ENT? Also do u think food or alcohol plays as a trigge?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      @barbb

Well it's now come back after being away this morning so obviously the plugs we're not fit for purpose.

No you can get customer fitted ones from a variety of places - I'm going to ACS custom pro27. Type it into Google - not sure where you are in the world but they are a Uk company.

Alcohol I don't think has ever made my T worse - not at all. Touch wood.

30. barbb

barbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Definetely touch wood @Chris Alexander! :)...I ordered them on Amazon the ones u mentioned above......party plugs alpine...clear ones.....did u ever try taking Lypoflavonoid? I started it 4/8.....my ENT said to take for 2 mths and if it doesn't work by then it's not going to work.....over the counter vitamin......money back guarantee....had to try it