Which Is Safer? A Few Drinks a Day or Taking ADs, Benzos or Other Mind-Altering Chemicals?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Jul 21, 2015.

1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never said it didn't matter. I said that distress and volume originate from distinct brain structures. While they are clearly linked, there isn't an inherent casual relationship.

2. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Alcohol is a food as well as a drug and has beneficial things for the body. It's only when it is abused that it causes problems or if someone has an allergy or something that means it would affect them badly. Any drug a doctor prescribes is a poison. So all prescribed drugs have a risk. So drinking moderate amounts of alcohol possibly carries less risk than some prescription medications given by your doctor. I would think six drinks a day might not be great for your liver though? Perhaps getting your liver tested to make sure it's coping might be a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      I'm the lucky drinker in that alcohol makes my tinnitus louder. It's all good, my teenage daughter's were about to leave if they saw another beer in the house. It was good timing for me to quit. Quiets my tinnitus, pleases my daughters.
      And I was a closet drinker, if only they saw what was stashed in the attic for years.

I use SAM-e to help the mood... alcohol seemed to make me happy, but the SAM-e works well with Vitamin B complex added. And it all helps the tinnitus and family.

Alcohol is a sick obsession/self medication to start, unless you count the cost and are willing go downhill. I've met a lot of alcoholics in the 25 years that I've been on the train.

I've done Antabuse and therapy on and off forever.
      Thank God for my kids being so frank, or I'd probably have tinnitus and anxiety up the wall.
      I have 3 younger ones too, so this saves them from heartbreak later.