White Noise Makes Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LisaH, Mar 14, 2018.

1. LisaH

LisaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely an Ultrasonic Dental Cleaning
      Hi all,

Newbie here (3 weeks 1 day in, not that I'm counting or anything)...I've noticed that (a) my tinnitus is always worse at night (as if I have "fatigued" my ears throughout the day), and that (b) the fan I use at night to help "mask" my tinnitus seems to make it worse (louder, more piercing, sometimes results in morse-code style "beeping").

Is this commonplace? This "reaction" to white noise? Ambient noise (I'm a teacher, so my classroom is a relatively "safe" space) masks my T to bearable levels during the day, but when I deliberately try to mask with white noise, rain apps, etc., my ears seem to react negatively. I dread going into quiet places, and I would like to be able to "mask" effectively with white/pink noise, apps, sound machine, etc. without making my situation from bad to worse.

Anyone else have the same impact from white noise? And if so, what's left for us when white noise doesn't work?

Thank you!!

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      I have found that mine also hates most White Noise samples...it kind of 'hisses' back at it and ramps up in volume.

Mine also hates water sounds ( particularly flushing toilets:barefoot::ROFL: ), cutlery and complex / multiple voice situations like restaurants, bars etc.

I did find one White noise 'cricket' like sample that helps a bit for a short time. It is here :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs5Ggk2_gfs

I also tried softened Pink noise which didn't cause a reaction but also didn't help.

I am back to talk radio ( quiet ) on bad days.

I need some noise and distraction, but for me it needs to be like radio and not a manufactured sound...it seems ;)

Fact is T and H are weird and specific to you.

I hope you find something that helps @LisaH

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @LisaH
      Tinnitus must not be masked so that it can't be heard, as you will often make the condition worse as you have found. Use a dedicated "sound machine". It would help if you let us know what caused the tinnitus. Tinnitus does not appear for no reason, as something has caused it. The most common cause is listening to music through headphones or attending places were loud music is played. There are many other things can cause it too. If you have been using headphones or going to clubs, concerts etc regularly, these are the likely cause.

Please click on the links below and read my posts on tinnitus that you might find helpful.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      White noise or really most of those digital sounds really increase the loudness of my tinnitus even after all these years.
      It is sort of a trial and error thing finding what works for each individual. For me certain country songs with a low toned sound or voice works really well at canceling out the constant tinnitus.

Same here. The fan sound was annoying for me. This made my insomnia worse also.

• Like Like x 1
    5. SarahLynn

SarahLynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Aloha Lisa,
      White noise… those white noise generators does make mine worse, to the point when I’m at my therapist I can make out only a third of what she is saying, even then only by watching her lips move. Exasperating! So, we forego that thing (I think they’re evil lol).
      All you are experiencing I deal with it too.
      Nothing has helped over the past uhhhmmmmmm 50 something years.
      It comes, it goes. Hardly there to wanting to curl up and die…
      One thing that does help as a preventive measure to expected loud noises are earplugs....

Damn, here I am whining about me when I wanted to give some support lol
      Silence Does Happen!

6. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does your tinnitus go down during multiple people talking in restaurants?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      No. It goes crazy in that sort of situation. The hissing ramps up as the sounds get more complex. I struggle to follow conversations sometimes. It's such an odd thing. Just been to a fairly loud (probably 80db +) rock concert in a small venue with foam earplugs in and I was fine. BEFORE the concert I was in a bar and my tinnitus was hissing like a snake with all the conversations coming in from different directions. I'm resigned to the fact that its odd and very individual. I will try and avoid or control situations I know my tinnitus dislikes.
      Hope today is a good one for you.

8. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does your spike subside when you're in situations where multiple people are talking? I'm still waiting for my tinnitus to go back down :( after being exposed to human voice for about 2 minutes... :( that's odd how a concert does nothing but human voices do??? I would think concerts are much louder than voices no?

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      It subsides after I remove myself from the situation. It can take quite a few hours. Often it will only re-set after sleep. Yes...I agree it's odd that the 'loud' noise is not such a problem. For me it seems to be more about the type ( frequency and complexity ) of the sound. It's very specific. BUT I acknowledge we are all very different ! My T came after dental work and not headphone use or noise exposure. Who knows hey !!! You just need to try and ignore it as best as you can, keep busy, sleep well, eat well and get on with life. As best as you can. I truly hope you get some relief from this monster. Enjoy the good moments or days ! It can get less of a problem if your lucky. I consider myself very lucky.

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope our tinnitus begins to improve somehow... thank you for your kind words and tips :) I appreciate it. Also, be very careful with going to concerts so often, just to be on the safer side. When it spikes, it’s hard to ignore, but machines are headed our way :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I know it is counterintuitive for some folks, but I found that white noise made things worse at night, and for the next day. I went in the other direction, and use earplugs at night, and my T is much quieter in the morning.

12. Jim Vasilakis

Jim Vasilakis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hi, I wanted to ask whether running water and streams are considered white noise?

13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The sound of running water and streams are good for sound enrichment but I do not consider them as white noise.

14. Jim Vasilakis

Jim Vasilakis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      OK, thanks Michael.

• Friendly Friendly x 1