Who Here Developed Tinnitus from an Acoustic Shock/Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lizzie Grant, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Lizzie Grant

Lizzie Grant Member

The incident happened a few days before New Years and since yesterday my tinnitus has gotten more noticeable. It's like an electrical hissing like you hear when a computer is on or you're next to a lot of hooked up wires. Fortunately if I don't think about it I can ignore it. But being the anxious person I am I go back to it and listen for it and then I can't stop. I'm hoping this goes away. I also have Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome.

Did anyone else develop tinnitus from an acoustic trauma? Has yours gotten better?

Another thing I wanted to note is I'm not sure if I've always had this and now I'm just really focused on it considering I hurt my ears. Since I was a kid I used to have fleeting tinnitus that was very high pitched. But this electrical hissing seems new I'm not sure

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Me, mine came from an acoustic trauma a few days before New Years as well. It was not listing to loud music or anything, it was a short burst of sound lasting a couple seconds at most, but apparently that was enough. It really sucks. My ringing is probably in the 14 kHz range. I guess we're the same hoping it will get better as it was very recent.

3. Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma/Migraines
      Yes, its a pretty common occurrence as far as I am aware of. TTTS can happen frequently after acoustic trauma because the middle ear muscles are primed and spontaneously contract with any future loud noise; it is essentially an anxiety symptom that is not always consciously controlled.
      And yes, both will die down eventually. The TTTS will disappear as the ear heals and adjusts to any damage. The tinnitus may remain at a very low tone, but it will be greatly reduced as the brain adjusts as long as you are careful with loud noise for a long time after. Unless you have a screaming and debilitating type of T (and I hope you do not), you should not let the odd hissing get the better of your anxiety as that will make it increase in volume. A method I take in cases of non-debilitating T is to appreciate the interesting sound, and that also gets rid of anxiety.

I've had tinnitus for years and it is the least bothersome of my ear symptoms, mostly because it quickly subsides after a recent trauma to my ear, and because I don't think much of it. Then again I am lucky to have tinnitus that is not as bad as that which many people on this site suffer from.

4. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Mine is also noise-induced, came after a concert on Dec 2nd. So it's been almost 5 month soon.
      Mine has unfortunately not gotten better, it has become slightly louder with a more clear "eeee" tone instead of the more hissing electrical sound. I believe this could be that more nerves have died off since onset, or that the T is just changing. It is very common within the first 6 months that T changes in loudness, tone and behavior. Especially for us that has it noise-induced since our nerves and ear cells might have taken time to die off (the damage from loud noises can damage at the time of the impact, but also like flower, wither off cells and nerves during a long time after the impact as well). That could change T, but everybody is different, so what happens to me doesn't have to be the case for you. Also the kind of noise trauma and how long you have been exposed surely plays a big role too.

5. Derek D
      Balanced

Derek D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/05/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock/Loud Music
      The same thing happened to me. I had a loud burst of noise from music, I have pain in my ears and a hissing sound in my ears, if you are still there Kylie Jade, can you tell me if the hissing in your ears has gone away, and also do you have any pain in your ears from it?

6. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Acoustic shock here from a burglar alarm, Several minutes of very hi DB hi pitched noise, My T is low but reactive to sound, its more the stress, anxiety, depression that is killing me but I am just trying to stay in my normal routine and not let it bother me, It sometimes seems to be improving, I had hypercausis for the first 3 months but thankfully that has chilled out and also TTTS but that is easing now too, Hopefully the reactive T will ease off too soon. Sometimes it seems to be getting better, then other times it there and I'm back to square one, T makes you think though, It has really put things into prospective for me in many ways. All those silly things that would wind me up before T lol If T did go away tomorrow I could honestly say I am a better person from it.

7. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Jason C and Lizzie how are you doing with your tinnitus and TTTS. I’m 7 weeks into my battle with this and could do with some encouragement if you have any ?

8. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Hiya

Thankfully for me my Tinnitus Hyperacusis and TTTS and everything in between has gone. It does take time and lots of it.

Well over a year before I could say it was really improving.

Hang in there, things do get better :)

9. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      That’s brilliant news ! My Hyperacusis isn’t too bad some noises shock me like cutlery and other percussive sounds. The biggest anboyance is the TTTS.

I’m trying to power through it at the moment and avoid loud places so fingers crossed it improves !

The tinnitus seems to be improving slowly or I’m just getting used to it.

Thanks.

COYS

10. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Yay. The acoustic shock/trauma club.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      I got myself tinnitus from exposing myself to high frequency sounds (mixing music) It had gone bit better during 2 weeks. Not much.

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's so weird seeing my old posts from just days after my hearing issues started.

13. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I suffered an acoustic shock/trauma from a very noisy microsuction procedure by an ENT. I had no hearing damage prior to this. Immediately after my ears felt full, the next day I got tinnitus and in the days following I developed hyperacusis and ttts. This happened 3 years ago, and I'm sorry to say but my hearing and tinnitus has gotten worse. My ears are so fragile and react to every sound. I've now developed secondary endolymphatic hydrops as a result. If only I hadn't trusted that ENT...

• Hug Hug x 5
    14. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I hope you tried to file a lawsuit... that's so heartbreaking.

15. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Avoid loud noises, don't man up or power through it. It's the hyper masculine personality traits that cause you to do stupid things to make it worse.

• Like Like x 1
    16. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Contrast I definitely won’t be doing any of those things.

I’ve noticed that “s” and “f” in conversation doesn’t sound as harsh as it did , I’m hoping this is some sort of improvement

17. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's easier said than done... Drs are protected.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I wish I had money. I'd take you and pay for your PRP treatment :(

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    19. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Don't ever say "noise induced pain" isn't that bad or the medical world won't take us serious.

I'm serious Chads that say "burning ear pain is no big deal" are the reason bio-medical medical researchers on peripheral neuropathy aren't getting anywhere. They won't get research grants if you show toxic masculine values as such as coping with chronic pain.

Research grants will go to CBT and various patented subtypes of CBT instead of actual scientist that want to help us, this comment will probably be printscreened to show what a crazy I am.

• Like Like x 1
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I did.

21. Carr Lea

Carr Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

22. Carr Lea

Carr Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ENT consultant was relocating of whom I saw for three years for routine cleans. Previous to then I had seen for many years a consultant until he retired. I never had any problems under his care. When I was under his care he stopped using microsuction without any explanation given. He then went on to use a Jobson Horne probe (At the time I did not know what it was called) But this mode of cleaning worked very well.
      I then saw another consultant of whom I was referred and as I required a routine clean, I booked an appointment not knowing that my life would change from that day of attendance!!! On the consultation all he had was my referral letter. I told him about my past history and that I do not have microsuction. He then appeared to laugh at me! He made no attempt to apply for any of my notes/records. I told him twice that I do not have microsuction. To cut a long story short he still carried out microsuction in one ear...Which caused my life to change forever !!

• Hug Hug x 2
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Me.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Trapped in car with a psychotic cab driver that turned his stereo up to 140dbs without warning and refused to turn it down.

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. CountryMile
      Transparent

CountryMile Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medications and an acoustic shock
      Mine started when a co-worker who has habit of emitting extremely loud "hoots" as a form of laughter (he is also partially deaf and doesn't realize how loud he is) did so while I was standing in front of him. It just so happens that at the time I was just finishing a week long regimen of Cipro antibiotic for a UTI which had made me very sick and I had lost a lot of weight and sleep.

I believe that my weakened state made me more susceptible to the acoustic shock that followed because my left ear that was pointed in his direction and only a couple of feet away got a good shock and felt like a knife was driven through it.

Been ringin' ever since. It was terrible because I had already lost a lot of sleep at that point and the tinnitus only made that continue. That was on the 8th of July and I've only been able to sleep from pure exhaustion. (Is that still considered sleep?)

I've been absorbing info from this forum since and been able to get some relief. Hoping for the best... preparing for the worst.

26. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      Yup acoustic shock from earphones, turned up the computer volume to very high to listen to a very quiet Youtube video, opened a .webm link with sound that my friend sent me and got the surprise of the year in my ears, gave me TV static in my head (which no longer bothers me). Second time was from a bus braking at the stop, I was first in the queue so I got hit by a extremely loud squeal that made me physically cringe, that gave me a cricket noise in my left ear (still bothers me whenever it spikes), I can tell it was actually loud because I see other people flinch whenever it happens to them at the stop as well.

27. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damn , that's a lawsuit!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    28. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      omg... how are you doing? I had an ear irrigation done a few weeks ago and I dont have tinnitus but I have hyperacusis mildly and ear pain im so sorry

29. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Mila9828
      I read your post... I'm so sorry you suffered following an ear irrigation. Your symptoms definitely sound like acoustic shock. I hope that things improve for you, the fact that you have no tinnitus is a good sign I think. It's been over 3 years for me and my problems are ongoing. Like you, if I'd known the risks of the wax removal procedure, in my case microsuction, I'd have run a mile :(