Whose Tinnitus Actually Went Away Though?

Discussion in 'Support' started by VickiD, Jun 23, 2016.

1. josh77

josh77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/4/2015
      What did they do to recover?

2. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      It's interesting one of my patient developed SSHL 16 years ago, he had vertigo (severe) tinnitus and profound hearing loss. He was not treated and it's so long ago he does not recall how long it took him to habituate. He now works has a pharmaceutics rep and he does occasionally get frustrated with hearing loss otherwise he lives a full life, when I asked about tinnitus he tell me it's still there but no longer an issue!
      The 2nd patient is a female 55 years old her SSHL occurred 6 years ago, she had profound hearing loss with severe vertigo and tinnitus. She had vertigo on and off for a year, she still has tinnitus but she has completely habituated.
      The 3rd patient developed SSHL 7 years ago she told me that her blocked feeling and tinnitus improved in 6 months, she is totally deft I the ear!
      All of them are doing well, don't even discuss their problem
      Dominic
      I had SSHL 3 months now and not better, still having hypercusis, tinnitus (loud) hearing loss and feeling blocked, I am hoping to get to their level and now I call them for advice! Physician like myself are clueless regarding tinnitus !
      Until they get it! Now I have read multiple articles and they all concentrate on hearing loss not tinnitus

• Like Like x 1
    3. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I am a success story. Tinnitus went away.

Had it for about 4 months. Silence is beautiful

don't let the haters get to you. stay positive.

Tinnitus is entirely curable depending on the cause

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    4. Anna051

Anna051 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Dominic, do those patients also have loud tinnitus? I have loud tinitus and not yet habituated but trying to stay positive. Remeron has helped me sleep.

5. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I think mine would have went away if I hadn't gone out one night without earplugs a few weeks after I got T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      how'd you get it?

also - why are you here?

7. CostanzaJerry

CostanzaJerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress

How does someone know if they have nerve damage?

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      An ABR can detect it, but really only if you have severe nerve damage. He is wrong in his assumption that noise induced hearing loss does not cause nerve damage.

9. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Specifically three infections cause nerve damage - they are labrythitis, vestibular nueritis, and minieres disease. I've been diagnosed with labrythitus and vestibular nueritis - nerve damage to the vestibucochlear nerve (hearing and balance nerve are woven together into one nerve called vestibucochlear nerve / 8th cranial nerve) causes vertigo and tinnitus sometimes with hearing loss. You know you have nerve damage to your 8th cranial nerve when you also experience vestibular symptoms in other words Vertigo, nystagmus, and nausea along with hearing issues and fluctuating horrible tinnitus. You can suspect you have nerve damage but if you have never had vertigo it's unlikely or somehow only the cochlear portion of the vestibucochlear (8th cranial nerve) is damaged which is also unlikely because it's one nerve. I had a severe episode of vertigo, tonal tinnitus with very high pitch ringing fluctuating bird chirping and nasea I was diagnosed with labrythitus then vestibular nueritis (look them up the symptoms are nasty) basically if you have nerve damage you will have other issues and it's obvious. I had T already before this from dubstep workouts with earbuds and that physical damage was nothing compared to inflammation of the nerve itself the Tinnitus is a whole different dimension of terrible. Oh the 8th cranial is part of the Central Nervous System and these nerves don't regenerate following trauma, yay.

10. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      P
      Pretty sure it doesn't although I havnt googled it. Seems like loud noises bend and break hair cells but don't effect the nerve. Nerve damage arises from internal inflammation (virus, bacteria, fungal infection, autoimmune disorder, sever allergy, and ototixic drugs and chemicals) unless you are listening to loud offensive sounds 24/7 all day then you might start to offend and inflame the nerve as well.

If you have white noise T constantly in both ears, it may annoy you but this is the best Tinnitus, there is Tinnitus that truely disables a person and it's rarely from physical trauma from loud noises, it's due to nasty infections that damage the internal structures of the inner ear.

11. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      This is correct. I had 2 ABRs done, one for both ear. I suspected serious nerve damage for a time because of all the pain, but the doctors assured me that my auditory nerve is working properly.

Then I came on here and heard that people with hidden hearing loss have problems understanding speech in loud background noise, so I tested that a lot recently. For instance right now I'm wearing over-ear headphones now playing bassy music at 75-85% volume (still safe, not uncomfortable if played briefly) and I can hear everything my brother says in the other room across the hall, and I can tell that the little one is playing Star Wars Battlefront II on the xbox. When I was holed up in a mental house for a while, I could snipe peoples conversations from halfway across the ward... so I guess I don't have nerve damage. This is how I know.

Take an ABR and have a masked speech test, where they play noise in one/both ears and say increasingly quieter words through the noise. Personally, even though I was DEAFENED by the combination of tinnitus and the static noise they played in the soundproof booth where I had the test, I was able to hear 100% of the words, down to as quiet as 5-10dB, in both ears...

I think you have to determine whether or not you have nerve damage by process of elimination. Me, personally, I can't be 100% sure I don't have some form of nerve damage, but these tests have given me the confidence that any existing damage is negligible at worst.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Mike L

Mike L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I have read some of your post new and old and I feel obligated to help you and I am happy to do so.

Have you ever tried to get a referral from any of your doctors to go to NIH and have them help you? If NIH accepts you its 100% free and they will work with you until either Jesus returns or you get better.

Please try to see if you can be referred if you think this can help.

I wasn't sure if you knew of this route so I wanted to mention it.

13. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I did not know that NIH was an American thing. I am feeling particularly discouraged lately. How do I go about applying for their help? I have spent several thousand dollars trying to reduce my severe symptoms and gotten nowhere closer to even understanding why I have it.

14. Mike L

Mike L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Its in Maryland and you will need to have your doctor give a refferal. Ask your doc about It and try to get one if they won't help find a doctor who will. I would also call your health insurance and ask them for help with it as well.

15. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      CST is not the only thing to do in order to get relief. He said that lots of times inside his books and on his videos on YT. You also need a psychological help and, above all, very very long time to fully recover from T. Why don't you just try to contact him via email? He doesn't want money for this.

16. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Needing a long time to fully recover from T isnt anything new at all. Its a hype. Nothing spectacular behind it.
      I also have psychological help since 9 months.

17. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      9 months are nothing, we need at least 2-3 years to have a real relief. However the "new" in is approach to the T is that this symptom is not chronic as the medical science wants us to believe. The more one person believe T will stay, due to wrong medical advises and horror stories, the more it will.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So you are pretty sure it doesn't even though you haven't done any research i.e. 'googled' it.
      http://m.jneurosci.org/content/29/45/14077.full
      If you are going to do any googling I recommend starting with www.google.com/scholar

An FFS quit saying there is a "best" tinnitus. I don't doubt that you have bad tinnitus, maybe you had minor tinnitus before and then things got a lot worse, but your experience isn't the summation of all tinnitus.

19. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's interesting, like you I used to be able to pick up conversations from across a busy room, but I have noticed a sharp decrease in my ability to hear clearly in noisy environments, still, I was able to pick up words in a sound proof booth while they played static noise.
      I really think audiology tests are horribly inadequate at picking up damage, but it's the best we got.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey thanks for the links. Yeah I have double tinnitus from loud noises and from nerve inflammation after toxic fungal infection (black mold). So whatever you say yes I have double Tinnitus and therefore I feel qualified to talk about both forms because I am experiencing them, at least it's not triple mike tinnitus that would be even worst right?even more not best

21. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They habituated to the constant ringing and said "it went away."

22. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "My Tinnitus went away" = my Tinnitus doesn't bother me anymore

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Yes. Habituation is God.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. CostanzaJerry

CostanzaJerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      Can stress also be a cause? Because it is very feelable, that something happens with the ears on heavy heavy duty stress, a pressure that lasts even after calming down, very reconignazable and pain also, a hot feeling in ears. Thats how my t started and how it got worse, and now again. So it should be that the stress cause inflammation to the nerve or the hair cells right? it should be one of those two...

So nerve damage goes with lessened ability of hearing ?

So f'ed up that so little is known about stress and t., most what I read about it, is stress making t for people worse as in how they feel, but not stress as in really feeling the damage and being the reason T started and stayed!
      And stress can kill a lot inside a human body, so i guess it could definitely do damage to the ears..

25. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ya I was stressed once then I stopped being stressed. Stress has very little impact on T unless you're so stressed and unhealthy while in the presence of toxins that you contract an virus, bacteria, fungus which inflames your nerve or cochlea. You might notice your T seeming louder when your stressed but it's not actually louder. Yes if you tense up you will hear a spike in T but this goes away when you loosen up. If you jump up in the air prior to leaving your feet you will notice an intense spike in somatic T. Also if you suck in like when you are drinking water with a straw you will notice a bigger spike in somatic T. It's not something you should stress about.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I just spoke to a friend that knows multiple people that "healed" within 6 months personally.

Happens I guess.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Andi Wijaya

Andi Wijaya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's still there, but I don't give a damn anymore... I think the worst has passed. If it's gone, I am grateful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. Eib

Eib Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      As people have pointed out there are millions of success story's but they are not reported on this board. This board of chronic sufferers are a minority on the basis 10% of the population gets tinnitus at some point in their lives. That's 450m people.Number ofactive people on this thread? 0.0001% of that 450m

Does anyone know anyone who got it from an ear infection and it DIDNT go away? From what i read it seems like chronic T is more common in people who damaged their ears through noise or trauma?

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think going by the "amount of people on this board" is hardly a good benchmark of getting an idea of the amount of people suffering with this condition. A lot of other difficulties might complicate the number we see on this board here. A lot of sufferers maybe don't know about the existence of this board or don't feel the need to talk to others about it (prefer suffering in silence). A lot of sufferers maybe read on it and are scared by what they might find out by talking to others about it (and seeing how people suffer on this board, I cannot blame them). But suffering is what they still do...

Especially as our society has become increasingly noisy, it would be logical to assume the group of sufferers is far bigger than we know or can measure.

Regarding the ear infection; if damage to the cochlea has been done by this virus, bacteria or the potentially ototoxic meds you are taking to curb the infection, you are no worse or better off than noise-induced sufferers in my opinion. However, it might be less likely that you have cochlear damage compared to noise-induced sufferers. Getting a proper diagnose of this would be the first step. This might however be difficult as ENT's just about left their club and bear hide in the cave about this condition (so to speak). Their thinking and means of diagnosing for this condition are prehistoric to say the least.

30. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Although I agree about the fact that our society is too noisy nowadays due to the technological advances we now enjoy (and have to face the consequences of), there are also a lot of people who acquired their Tinnitus through barking dogs, crying children or other completely "natural" sounds. Hence Tinnitus in humans is as old as humans themselves and was even reported about in ancient Egypt. It was actually Aristotle, for example, who proposed masking as a treatment for tinnitus in his "Problemata Physica". It's funny if you consequently look at where we stand now; apart from monetizing masking devices, we really didn't make much progress, or did we? But I'm getting off track...

Anyway, regarding the statement you made, I have to conclude "evolution" did a pretty shitty job as far as our hearing is concerned. It seems birds took the better card on this (with their ability to regenerate hearing).

• Winner Winner x 1