Why Certain Sounds Hurt More Than Other Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by victoria9273, Sep 11, 2017.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes! So it was a bit weird that a crumple sound that should be bearable to a healthy ear would create such a monster of crackle/crumple sound perceived by a broken ear.

• Genius Genius x 1
    2. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @UpDownAround
      I also have an exaggerated startle reflex to small sounds in a quiet environment but it only happens if the sound is unexpected (which is often). Interesting that you have a startle reflex when you are not even startled.
      I hear a loud zapping noise in my deaf ear when the sound is unexpected (in my good ear). It doesn't hurt. This also happens sometimes when I am in the process of waking up, when I drift between alertness and unconsciousness.

3. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think it is like watching a lit fuse. I don't like that I do that. It is disconcerting to others and they look at me funny for doing it. It's like having a nervous tic.

4. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Do you think it's worth getting my TMJ and neck checked even if the cause of my T and H is exposure to loud music at a festival?

5. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think maybe @Mithrandir from his own experience would say yes. Maybe he can update us on how it's going but last I heard he was making advances from his acoustic shock with TMJ devices. However like in everything in the T and H world, facebook is riddled with complaints and praises in both directions in regards to TMJ helping or worsening it.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      TO MICHAEL LEIGH:

You state in a earlier post that H can be cured in most cases. Did you completely or mostly cure yours? And what proof do you have that everyone can potentially be cured?

Marco

7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      You need to use an @ to ping a member. But I have seen @Michael Leigh say his has been completely cured. I remember reading before even joining this site that H was curable but T was not.