Why Do We Accept Tinnitus-Distress Treatment as the Final Answer?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is a question more poised at the scientific community but why do researchers think that psychological treatments for anxiety and depression are the be all, end all for tinnitus patients? To be clear, when I say "tinnitus treatment", I mean something designed to modulate, reduce, or eliminate the tinnitus signal and NOT negative emotional affect.

Seriously, why do practitioners think something like CBT is the end game? Setting aside the blatant conflicts of interests CBT providers have in protecting their business revenue, why are we expected to just "live with it"? Cancer patients aren't expected to life with cancer. It's a life threatening illness that isn't in the same league as tinnitus? Ok, fine. People with fevers below 105 F are not expected to just suffer either despite having a condition that impairs sleep, work, and other social activities.

You might argue that science lacks an answer or effective universal treatment. Then why aren't we working on one? Why aren't we promoting treatments like lidocaine to patients instead of CBT? I know a possible answer to this question but I'm sick of people (most of whom probably lack tinnitus) telling us to "just live with it".

Stop treating co-morbid conditions and actually treat the illness.

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree with you! It sucks how we are simply told live with it, doctors seem to try and get rid of us and be handled by therapists as if tinnitus will get better in sound, mentally it can or can't... my first therapist said "I don't know what to say, I don't know how to help you, I never had a patient like you before" just greaaaaat :(

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Because they don’t have any definitive answers to you he problem!!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      To the problem!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Well then they need to shut it and not pretend they have any treatments.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Since there isn't any solution, the only second best treatment is habituation. It's not going to replace the cure, but it's better than nothing. Personally it has helped me through with my T. Aside from periods of sadness, I don't think my level of happiness has changed since I've had T. Of course I would always want to be cured, but as of right now... Life is better if I don't dwell on the negative.

That's just my opinion though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I don't. its good to handle your stress but nobody should be paid a good salary to help people like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I don't understand what you, and others, are getting at. Who are the "people like that"? Are you saying that people who are under tremendous distress from tinnitus should not have the right to purchase therapy sessions from a qualified professional, that could possibly help them cope?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
      • Genius Genius x 1
    9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      we already know the ATA and BTA are away behind on cross disipline research and their primarily interest is CBT.

• Agree Agree x 2