Why Do We Have Good and Bad Days with Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adriel93, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      Does anybody know why we have good and bad days with hyperacusis? There’s days when I don’t notice my hyperacusis at all, then there’s days when it’s real painful.

• Good Question Good Question x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      Anybody??

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      My best guess, purely opinion:
      your nerves communicate using something called neurotransmitters.
      very very very very quickly, the sending neuron shoots out some chemical messengers to the receiving neuron at the synapse ( the gap between two connected neurons ) which then causes the impulse to fire in the receiving neuron. the neurotransmitters are recycled and go back to the sending neuron ( reuptake ).

neurotrans_graphic3.jpg

sodium and potassium ion channels then rapidly open along the axon of the receiving neuron and cause it to release the neurotransmitters to the next neuron. sodium and potassium ions are oppositely charged and that's why there is an electrical component to our nervous system.
      Ion-channellinkedreceptors1.jpg

where our haircells are dead or damaged, the ribbon synapses are also probably damaged and over worked so the reuptake ( recycling ) of neurotransmitters is disrupted. the central gain theory is probably 100% correct, which is where some of our frequencies aren't completely eliminated but diminished and the auditory system compensates by making those frequencies louder. as our damaged frequencies are in better or worse shape from day to day based on sleep, noise exposure, and dietary factors, the balance of neurotransmitters being disrupted, which can definitely be exacerbated by loud sounds, causes the perception of sound loudness to vary drastically.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    4. DaveH

DaveH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb-2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Is this the same as cochlear synaptopathy? I recently read about this damage to synapses which is believed to cause sound coding deficits which can lead to difficulty hearing in noise, tinnitus, and hyperacusis. If synapses are the spaces between neurons, I don't understand what "damage" is done. Is it the ability for neurotransmitters to properly pass signals from one neuron to another?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Finnigan
      Stressed

Finnigan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Injury maybe
      Maybe external causes you have no control of? Such as barometric pressure, wind, traffic noise etc..

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      neuroreceptor sites could be damaged or the reuptake process could be dysfunctional. I don't know just a guess.

• Like Like x 1
    7. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yeah, I really wonder about that as well.

I had a really good H day on the 24th of december and some of the day on the 25th......since then I have only had bad days......but occasionaly I get the good days where it is MUCH better and I don't get it!

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I really think it relates to the weather, kind of like arthritis.

• Agree Agree x 1