Why Does It Hurt So Much? What Causes the Ear Pain?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Guest9207, May 7, 2021.

1. Guest9207

Guest9207 Guest

I’m new to tinnitus but it started with ear pain. In fact, my ear hurt for a couple of days before the tinnitus. The ringing is bad enough, but why does the ear hurt? Why is there pressure? Why do the muscles around the ear hurt?

My dentist says I don’t grind my teeth. I have some ringing in my left ear, increasing unfortunately, but doesn’t hurt or feel pressure like with the right ear, where I feel 99% of the tinnitus.

2. RonnieThailand

RonnieThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Microsuction/Irrigation
      How is it now? I don't grind my teeth either, I know mine is sound-induced, but I also wake up clenching my teeth a lot. The clenching won't show as grinding so maybe you're still clenching from stress in your sleep. The tinnitus caused my clenching, which I suspect either caused my hyperacusis by activating the muscles or made my hyperacusis pain much worse.

3. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      I have the same problem with pressure and pain. I really believe mine is caused by the middle ear muscles tensing. At its worse I can feel the ear clamp shut.

Ear usually feels pressure and numbness all day.

Shaun.

4. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      No one knows why it hurts so much. I have also a painful one and it's horrible.

How did you get yours? Do you also have hyperacusis?

5. Hyper Tintin
      Balanced

Hyper Tintin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 week in the woods in a storm that lasted as long.
      For some reason my hyperacusis revealed itselt to be muscle cramping instead of just pain. So now when it hurts I no longer remove myself from the sound, I try to relax instead, invite the sound, and stretch the inner muslce, which temporarily hurts a bit more but in a good way. After some stretching exercises I’m usually fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9207

Guest9207 Guest

Bupropion. I don’t know what hyperacusis is. It doesn’t hurt now like it did at beginning. Thanks.