Why Does Sleep Start and Stop Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Steve0, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Steve0

Steve0 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I guess no one really knows the answer but I read many reports about tinnitus either stopping after sleep or starting after sleep.

Like with mine I can wake up at 6am and it's screaming, go back to sleep and at 9am and its quiet again. It's like a cycle it runs through and it depends on what part of the cycle your at when you wake up. I need a good night's sleep to stop a big spike though.

Today when I woke up it was loud (it wasn't when I went to bed)... I had to get up because it was late already but I think if I had been able to sleep for another hour then maybe it could have dropped. Although I have had 3 good days with low tinnitus so I was due for a loud day today.

Same with naps... I can have low tinnitus... fall asleep in front on the TV for 30 minutes and wake up with very loud tinnitus.

It seems to me that it has to be something to do with brainwave state... with the sleeping state having some kind of effect.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      It is true, when I first got my tinnitus, (which is different from now) I could make it disappear just by having a nap.
      Also when I was waking up with it, I was sleeping again till I wake up without it.
      I think it is because the brain has the capability to erase it. Something to do with conscious and unconscious state.

I also read it was the same for other people on French forum, that depending on how the sound of the tinnitus is in the morning, it would set it for the rest of the day.

So yes, there is a very clear and stated link between sleep and tinnitus.

3. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah, it is strange. A nap will often lessen mine, but a full night of good sleep will cause it to crazy loud in the morning, then it generally decreases during the day. I have wondered about this many times. It comes down to the same thing: nobody know what causes it, really.

4. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My T is quietest in the morning (especially after waking up where it is virtually non-existent), it gets louder as the day goes on. It is quietest after waking up from a nap too.

My T is loudest at night but quietest 3-4 hours after waking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982214000803

I recently found this article about the cochlea having a circadian clock that deals with a receptor site for the protein TRK-Beta. This can become disregulated and I think it is contributing to some of our tinnitus cases.

Since my treatment in Korea, my tinnitus is pretty much gone all day except for about 3 hours after lunch time whether I eat or not and I suspected it has something to do with my circadian rhythms.

This also would explain why curcumin helps with some people, because curcumin activates the TRK-Beta receptor.

ALSO, BDNF activates this as well and that is what OTO-413 (BDNF) for hidden hearing loss is basing it's function on, I think. This area of research is a little new for me and I don't fully understand all of it.

• Informative Informative x 4
    6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Same with me... Loud noise when I wake up or after naps. It really gets annoying.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      My tinnitus is generally much better after sleep, and even more so with my earplugs in.

I have found that if I fall asleep in front of the TV, even at a low volume, that when I wake up my tinnitus is much worse, with even ear fullness like I was exposed to some loud noise. I think my ear just is very vulnerable to any noise when I hit deep sleep.

Not sure if this helps any of you, but perhaps this is playing a role in the increase in tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice, I don't sleep with earplugs in but, I have noticed that it is worse if I use a fan to mask on high and if I use no fan that seems to correlate with lower tinnitus the next day.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      So is the conclusion that masking is worsening the T? Do you generally mask or not at night? Have you tried sleeping with earplugs in? I find I have to give it a few mins for the T to quiet after the earplugs go in for the night.

10. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I got my first night of good sleep in two months last night and woke up to the lowest (almost non-existent) tinnitus I've had in over a year.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Did you listen to anything to get this?

12. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I would always say that something about sleep puts my tinnitus to sleep. Been that way for years but no longer. It does change from day to day not necessarily lowering it.

13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The cochlea has a circadian clock. Also, maybe it depends on the "wash cycle".

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191031174650.htm

• Like Like x 1
    14. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I watch YouTube videos as I fall asleep.