Why Has My Decreased Sound Sensitivity Not Improved with the Administration of 24/7 Sound Therapy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sen, Nov 19, 2016.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I use LCDs. I am about 12 feet from my computer, it is in the next room over. I'm not sure that there is any sound evidence that EMF has anything to do with tinnitus, or that EMF sensitivity even exists. This type of thing is bordering on anti-vaccine tier fear mongering.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your monitor seems to be okay. EMF sensitivity from computers is real but only some people are affected by it as I am. keep trying with the sound enrichment but keep it at a low level but I imagine you are already doing that.
      Hope things improve for you.
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      There are EMFs all around us. My home has wi-fi internet. If we didn't have wi-fi internet, the signal from the neighbors wi-fi would reach us. We are surrounded by cellular signals and radio waves every hour of every day. Just checking my phone I can see 7 wi-fi connections that penetrate through my home. Even if this was the root cause of my issue, it would be inescapable without moving to a forest and living as a hunter gatherer, and even then I would be hit by shortwave radio and satellite signals and cosmic radiation zooming through the atmosphere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Sen It is EMF from computers that can affect some people with tinnitus who are hypersensitive to it. I am not aware of any other appliance doing the same thing. I read an article about this some time ago on the Internet. Anyhow, that doesn't matter. All I know is that I'm affected by near field computer use and that's why I took steps to move my PC into another room. It isn't the fan as my PC runs virtually silent.
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      All this paper shows is that people who claim to be hypersensitive to EMFs also often have tinnitus. This is a vague correlation that could mean many things other than EMFs directly causing or worsening tinnitus.

It could just mean that people with tinnitus often look for a cause and that many of them end up landing on the belief that they're hypersensitive to EMFs.

Anyway, I don't want to debate this here anymore. I appreciate all of your help Michael Leigh and others.

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed, it could mean many things but I know differently and have met a few people with tinnitus that are also affected by near-field computer use. Many people want evidence, data and concrete proof. Tinnitus and hyperaucis will affect each person differently. I wasn't affected by near field computer use until my tinnitus got much worse in 2008. It was on the advice of two electronic engineers who also had tinnitus advised me to move my PC base unit into another room and has remained there since.
      Michael

8. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not if you feel things in your ear like in myoclonus, in which case hyperacusis is a middle ear thing, and maybe even the tinnitus is either a middle ear or an inner ear thing. For example, a low pitched vibration may be the middle ear muscles or the levator palatini, and the ''hyperacusis'' might just be the result of what the combination of normal sound passage with this new background vibration does. Or it may be a stapes pressed too far into the cochlea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Your comments are a bit vague to me....
      The evidence behind what i said is in below link..... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/

Can you provide any evidence to back what you say???

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I definitely feel things in my middle ear. Twitching, thumping, tugging, fluttering, "wooshing" sensations, pain, etc. All of these things cause discomfort and are triggered by noise.

11. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      It took me two years to get fully rid of my H. I wore in-ear maskers with a sound that was customized to my T and had 3 different volumes. I wore these maskers everyday and I believe they helped. I also had a pillow with speakers for the night, but was not every fond of it and did not use it everyday.

I don't know how you're listening to your pink noise. Maybe your pink noise isn't loud enough? My experience is however that in-ear maskers work are way more effective that external sounds in a room.

H is incredibly frustrating and isolating. I really hope things works out for you.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I listen to my pink noise over speakers coming from various sources in my room to create a sort of surround sound effect, although it's not true surround sound. The type of pink noise I listen to is also very high quality, not like the stuff you find on youtube, but lossless and correctly produced.

I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis (misophonia?) for 4 years now and have been doing sound therapy in various forms for about 3 years. Recently I started doing more with it, removing hearing protection almost entirely and listening to nature sounds at night in addition to the 16+ hours of pink noise I already listen to per day. I also do music therapy, and listen to at least one full album each day.

I have a pair of white noise generators (widex zen) but they cause pain in my ears similar to how ear plugs do and I can't wear them for more than a couple hours. I attempt to use them every now and then, but it's always the same. The quality of the sound is also much worse than the quality from my speakers.

H is the worst thing that has ever happened to me by far. If I somehow escape this I'll never take life for granted again.

It is good to hear you are doing better.

13. maz1

maz1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows
      A neurosurgeon would be more interested in nerve compressions, a neurologist or neurotologist wouldnt be able to address cranial nerve conditions.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      @maz1 I've read your symptoms and your pain seems to be both much more severe than mine and more facially located. I don't have any pain in my gums or teeth, for example.

The majority of my pain comes in the form of headaches. My ear pain is much milder than my headaches (it feels like a bad sunburn on the worst of days), and my facial pain is much milder than my ear pain.

Any facial pain I have at all is located in my upper cheek and temple area, and it's more of an "ache" like a tension headache than an "electric fire" as you describe. None of the doctors I've seen think I have trigeminal neuralgia. I've discussed it with them before and I don't really have any reason to doubt them.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Sen try using your white noise generators at 2hr intervals. 2hs on and 2hrs off. Slowly build up the wearing time.
      Michael

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      That's always what I've done. I start at a low wearing time, and then as time passes, the duration I am able to wear them without pain becomes less and less until they start to hurt the moment I insert them. I believe it is their physical presence in my ears that causes pain, not the noise itself. I experience an identical effect from wearing ear plugs.

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I haven't heard of them causing pain after building up wearing time @Sen I am sorry to hear. Sorry I couldn't help
      Michael

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Don't be sorry. I appreciate the effort. =)

• Like Like x 1
    19. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If you read the little crappy amount of academic literature on middle ear myoclonus and/or TTTS you begin to find patterns that point to peripheral instead of central hyperacusis. There has also been extended debate and personal testimonies over at chat-h or benzobuddies with botox and tenotomy being addressed with great success (and unsuccessfully with worse results) for sound sensitivity. There's even a claim from a mestermann over at chat-h that german doctors that look like Claudia Schiffer say that patients misinterpret spasms of their tensor veli palatini to be inside the ear because they open and close the eustachian tube. I also made a quick question to Salvi about whether he had a method to separate myoclonus sound sensitive patients from central gain hyperacusis patients and he didn't have one. I wasn't surprised, because of the many convoluted findings, it turns out there doesn't seem to be a definitive method to uncover the peripheral hyperacusis.

20. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      Salvi & co (american researchers) makes a great work, but they work only on hyperacusis from inner ear... Hyperacusis is a symptom which can provide from other place than inner ear...

21. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced