Why So Many Hearing Loss Companies I Am Hearing About?

Discussion in 'Support' started by IAmCalifornia, Jul 20, 2017.

1. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      wow so since my tinnitus onset, and deciding to join this forum, I suddenly know more about how an ear works than I believe I should. It has become an obsession. Tinnitus is very tough to deal with. But so I checked the research part of this forum, and I'm reading about all sorts of companies. Frequency Therapeutics (which I saw on the news), Audio, Otonomy, Decibel, etc..

And so I check all of these companies' websites and if i'm mistaken let me know, but it seems they are all working on helping those with hearing loss and maybe tinnitus!

How are there so many companies working on this? Is there something they have discovered and are refining? I guess what I'm getting at is how am I reading about all of these companies doing this crazy research suddenly?

My ENT that I saw told me in a VERY BLUNT way that there is no cure, only to get used to it or maybe tinnitus retrain therapy which is not covered by my insurance....

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      It was discovered in the 80s that birds regenerate their hair cells naturally. Since then, research has always been ongoing to achieve the same in the ears of mammals and more specifically humans. After all these years, it seems that we now reached a point where several independent researchers developed (or are developing) treatments that might work on humans, which is why we can expect several clinical trials on regeneration in the next 5 years.

Why aren't ENTs mentioning this? Because firstly, it's all still pre-clinicial trial and thus several years away if one of them will be sucessful. Secondly, it are treatments for hearing loss, not tinnitus. Although some believe (with good reason) that these treatments can at least lower the intrusiveness of the tinnitus. I am sure they are aware of the research though, my brother studies medicine and he did learn a (tiny) bit about hair cell regeneration.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Wow sorry your ENT was so awful. I should warn you TRT is at least as useless as ENTs if not worse. All these companies are working on hearing loss, which won't fix Tinnitus. Us tinnitus sufferers know that fixing hearing loss won't fix tinnitus, but the normal people need to realize this first by fixing hearing loss and realizing it doesn't work. Then we can work on tinnitus if they care enough.

• Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No, we don't. We also don't know that it will fix it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    5. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      Exactly. There is so much that is still unknown about T and H. Maybe research will get lucky and find a route quickly to the answer.

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Not exactly true. My tinnitus is a direct result of hearing loss. I would be thrilled with a cure for hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Funny that I have no hearing loss and bad tinnitus. I've restored my hearing too. I don't think it's going to make much of a difference

8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Did you initially have hearing loss? How did you restore it?

9. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Idk my hearing got unclogged. I had ETD. I think that was the trigger but I got it tested and there was no hearing loss up to 19khz.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      @threefirefour want to make a bet, once Frequency's stage 2 trial is active this question will be answered.
      I honestly do see reasons to believe that if the hair cell synapse connection is repaired it will put some dent in tinnitus due to noise induced hearing loss.

:asshat:
      I already thought of what will happen to the loser of the bet, but don't worry we ain't gonna know till like 2020.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      That's because your tinnitus was triggered by neck jaw misalignment. The same neurons that connect to the audiotory nerve also play role in the neck and jaw muscles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      It is more profitable for people to have hearing aids than this cure.

• Agree Agree x 1