Will a Sound Mask Make It Harder to "Forget" I Have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by nospr, Aug 6, 2017.

1. nospr
      Musical

nospr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Maybe
      I've had it for 2 years now, but from about January to June I habituated and didn't notice it very often. Even in quiet rooms I barely would pay attention.

Now all of a sudden it's much louder and has been for 3 weeks. I ultimately want to forget about it like last time or perhaps hope it gets quieter again. I have been extremely stressed about my job for the last month so maybe that's not helping.

My question is: if I start using sleep sound masks to get rest or to relax will I train my brain to rely on them? Will my brain have a harder time "forgetting" that I have tinnitus?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @nospr

Your tinnitus will most probably get a lot worse if you use the "sleep sound mask" or any type of headphones. From your post it seems your tinnitus was caused by "noise exposure". If you have been using headphones or going to places where loud music is played, this is the likely reason it has got worse. I strongly advise you not to use headphones even at low volume. Please click on the links below and read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis, As I see it. It is important that you start using sound enrichment at night and also during the day. More about this is explained in the links.

Best of luck

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm sorry @nospr to hear of your "spike" (I believe that is the term for an increase in the symptoms), and the job stress. I believe that many here have suggested that stress can increase symptoms and may cause spikes.

That is a fascinating question. I cannot provide input, but in another post ( https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/not-sure-about-masking-sound-enrichment-at-night.19809/ ) @Michael Leigh stated the following:

Hopefully he will see your post here and provide more context around the above quote in relation to your question.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Looks like we were responding at the same time, and he beat me to the "Post Reply" button.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Kolisar
      Hope that you are keeping well and your tinnitus is under control. You're doing a great job supporting people on this forum. Well done.

Take care
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1