Will It Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark007, May 21, 2013.

1. Mark007

Mark007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ok im 15 years young and two months ago i went to the emergency because of jaw pain and ringing ears. They told me i had a LOT of ear wax so they cleaned it out and gave me ear drops to prevent infection. Fast forward a month i went to the ent and he told me my ears and hearing are excellent and above normal. I have an appointment with y dentist to make a night guard because he suspects that i clench my teeth. I will list some of the symptoms i have been having

-jaw pain
      -headaches
      -bite feels "off"
      -ringing ears
      -ears feel full
      -dizziness
      -neck pain

Also to put it out there i do use power equipment at school but always wear hearing protection

Does anyone think that my tinnitus will go away or am i stuck with this forever. It has gotten to the posing where it is affecting my day to day life. Thank you for taking the time to read this and God bless.

2. Janet

Janet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Have hope Mark! Just take care of yourself, be kind and patient with yourself. Try yoga and meditation, supplements (lipo flavonoid, ginkgo biloba, vitamin c), treatments (acupuncture, physio). I found the only thing that gave me relief so I could relax and rest was antiflammitories, just short term. I've had tinnitus for 2 years now and it has fluctuated over that time, sometimes almost difficult to notice if I try. Being anxious will only make it worse, lots of slow deep breathing is beneficial. Hang in there.

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Mark,
      It's hard to say whether it will go away or not, but it does sound like you're doing the right thing by going to see your dentist. You may have a neck or jaw-related issue that is triggering your symptoms. I agree with Janet that you should take care of yourself during this time, and try various supplements and natural methods to see what might work for you to alleviate some of your symptoms.

Many of us have started out with severe tinnitus, and have found that it has subsided over time.

Please do update us after you've seen your dentist, to let us know if he was able to suggest anything that might help. Improving your bite might make a big difference in your symptoms. Take care, and stay strong!

4. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      Who else? Is this how it is for most people, you think? Quieter as the months go by? Do you think the attrition here (number of people not returning to Tinnitus Talk) is indicative of habituation or improvement/changing of the tinnitus? (Sorry @Karen, not trying to "grill" you here, your comment just made me very curious and hopeful! :))

5. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I can say from experience that as I've habituated to my tinnitus I've stopped posting and reading about it online.

There's millions of people with tinnitus. Millions upon millions. They aren't all posting online about it. I think it's just those of us that are having a difficult time with it. So, unfortunately we aren't a very representative sample of the population at large. :(

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Job,
      Just making an observation. I don't have any firm facts to back it up, but I do know that I, and some others on here, have at least partially habituated to their tinnitus. If you can stop letting it rule your life ---as hard as that may seem when it's screaming at you! --- things do get better.

7. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      I think certain people like us need a "crutch" and that crutch happens to be Tinnitus Talk. Perhaps other people have better support systems, and don't need Tinnitus Talk initially. I know I'm here because I don't have anyone else to talk about tinnitus with where I am from. I think that once we're better, if we do get better, (whatever better is) we'll reach a point where we can move on from Tinnitus Talk, just like Markku's friend who I think helped start TT with him.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've had tinnitus for many years, but it wasn't bothersome. It was only in the last 3 years that mine became severe enough to be an issue. In these past 3 years, I've had severe ringing/roaring, pulsating tinnitus, adrenal fatigue, and high blood pressure, not to mention the anxiety that came along with it. I'm doing much better now, but still on the mend. I really needed the support, and it has been very therapeutic for me!

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I would not say that I am completely habituated, but things have improved tremendously with time. I think some of that may be entirely volume related, but I think much of the improvement is just my brain learning to ignore the annoyance. I can hear my T pretty much all the time, but it does not bother me all the time. There are times when the volume is higher than others and of course that is when it is most bothersome. I've had several short periods where I can't hear it at all. I've never figured out if that is habituation, or whether the sound has really disappeared. I think overall that the average intensity of my T is less now than at the beginning, and again I don't know if that is habituation (perception) or a true reduction in the intensity. I'm just grateful that it is better.

• Useful Useful x 1
    10. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I feel, that I am slowly habituating too. My tinnitus is still pretty bad, I can hear it almost over everything during the day, except really loud noises. But my brain is slowly learning how to ignore and I can say it is better every day. It will be slow process for me to ignore the noise completely (if I will be ever able to get to this state), but I am not depressed and suicidal as I was few months ago. Maybe it is helping me the fact I had mild tinnitus since 2003 up to worsening in 12/2012, which I habituated so good I forgot about it and didn't hear it. The most difficult part for me was to accept "I have severe tinnitus now" along with "I worsened it by my own stupidity". Unfortunately for me, my T isn't improving in volume much yet, but I still hope it will.

The biggest problem is now morning awakening from dreams (I always had pretty live dreams and everything is silent there) into screeching reality.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Definitely. I think most come looking for answers and after a while they continue their lives pretty much normally.

It's the minority who hangs out here for over a month, and then even tinier minority who keeps coming back after 6 months.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it something like 1% of all tinnitus sufferers who is noticeably more disturbed by tinnitus than the rest?

Also, many people come to Tinnitus Talk soon after noticing tinnitus, within a week or so. Chances of tinnitus improving or disappearing are the best in the beginning, and I think oftentimes these people's tinnitus improves naturally within a few weeks/month to the point of them not needing a support site like this anymore.

But I've also noticed that those who have had it more difficult, and have stayed around for months, eventually they have gotten better.

I would be surprised if you didn't feel much better by next Christmas.

Markku

12. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I often wonder if mine, which by the way, sounds so much different than most of you, will ever go away. I believe mine is directly from a major tmj issue and physical activity that did damage. But, I want to believe that it will go away. It did get much better, I think or I habituated as mentioned by so many here. I often wonder, though, why does the T for some here get really worse after years. What makes that happen? That scares me. I want to see different posts here that people are considerably better not worse, but I think most of us want to read that as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I had mild tinnitus for 9 years. It wasn't loud, but was noticeable. When it developed for unknown reason in 2003 I was first scared, but in few months I habituated naturally and FORGOT about it. My brain retuned and I didn't listen to it even before sleep. Of course I knew "I have some tinnitus" and when I put myself in silence and wanted to, I could easily listen to it. I heard it after alcohol drinking too. It was there all the time, easy to find. But I didn't look for it. I didn't bother about it, it was just another sound for me, which is simply there. Nothing more. I stopped looking about it on the internet, stopped visiting support groups like this forum is. I didn't care about treatments, didn't visit ENT doctors and so on. Thats the definition of "being habituated" for me.

But I was so reckless and stupid I visited loud clubs, concerts, pubs and didn't care about my ears for all the years I had this mild T. It was ticking time-bomb, because ear damage is cumulative. And then, after one loud concert in 12/2012 my T becomes worse and problem was here. I developed some anxiety and depression, when I realized how stupid I was and allowed myself to worsen it, because I didn't protect my ears. I was at the begining again.

I was prescribed Xanax, so I took 1mg every night for one month. It helped me to calm down and to sleep. But as soon as I started to taper and lowered my dose, my T exacerbated again, became much louder again and "electrical". Might be a
      coincidence, but I think it's related. My withdrawal was not easy and I developed some eye floaters and minor neurological problems too. That put me into depression again with some suicidal thoughts. I did terrible mistake again - benzos are evil drugs by my current opinion! At least for me. That happened four months ago.​

To be honest I don't believe my T will go away completely by itself. I damaged my ears too much for that. But I believe it will be better or quiter again, or some medical cure will be found or I will habituate to the similar condition I was habituated to my mild tinnitus.

14. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      @Map can you please comment on your T after getting off Xanax? Right now I am taking klonopin ... I *need* to take klonopin to get through the next two weeks. After that, I plan on quitting/tapering. I *think* it has lowered my T volume, but not sure.

My main question for you is: After you got off Xanax, did your T increase to the pre-Xanax level, or did it get louder than the pre-Xanax level? And if it got louder than the pre-Xanax level, did it eventually go back down to the pre-Xanax level? I have been taking klonopin (.5 mg once a day) for 1 week so far ...

15. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      Thanks, Markku, I appreciate the good vibes!

16. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Ups, I don't want to scare anybody to take this medications. Sometimes they are really needed, because anxiety is very dangerous thing and can be fatal. Just be careful with them. My T lowered when I was on it too. But it was temporary relief, which is commonly observed on benzodiazepines - it has something to do with calming GABA receptors.

My T unfortunately never changed back, it definitely changed itself. Before Xanax it was simple high-pitched EEEE sound, quite loud but not that loud as is now. During Xanax withdrawal it changed to be more "electrical", it is louder, sounds like very fast electricity chirping circuit, although the EEEE pitch is also present. I now hear something like darting electical waves or dentist drill sounds which comes randomly every few seconds - they annoys me most of it all.

As I said - I am not 100% sure change was induced by benzo withdrawal, but it happened at the same time. I went through hard psychic turbulences at those times, so it could be induced by my stress, anxiety and depression too. There are many people here who took benzos without any permanenent T change. Maybe I am just unlucky one :/

17. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      Thanks for getting back to me @Map, I appreciate it. I hope things improve.

18. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      My T is neither quieter nor improved, and I have not habituated. It has pretty much stayed the same - some good days, some bad days, many fairly tolerable, with periods of extreme frustration and anxiety thrown in; some longer than others. What has improved throughout my tenure here is my own attitude and outlook on the disease, some healing through shared knowledge and compassion, and my own ability to realistically deal with the situation at hand.

While this site is the best resource I have found the last few years, both in educational value and moral support, I believe the attrition rate may be due to what I believe is the conterproductive nature of constantly focusing on one's own condition instead of getting on with life. I know my own condition feels improved if I try to limit my own focus on T-related information, sharing, and websites. As Karen says above, "If you can stop letting it rule your life ---as hard as that may seem when it's screaming at you! --- things do get better."

• Like Like x 3
    19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paul,

Very well said! I've had severe tinnitus since 2010, too (I had mild tinnitus before then), and this site has been helpful to me, both as a resource and a source of support. I've been a member here for over a year, and I have to admit that the tinnitus is easier to bear when I focus outwardly rather than dwelling on it too much.

Whether it actually improves or not, we can all feel better if we find activities that we can become involved in, that occupy our full concentration. The mind is a powerful thing!

20. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      You are stuck with it forever.
      Et voila, that said, you had the worst, things will improve from now on, the sky is the limit! Good assumption, so if it goes away, it will be so much better than winning the lottery.

21. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Oh crap! Another minority of which I am part! Thanks a lot Markku :p
      I'm from freakin' Belgium, you know. How's that for a minority?

22. stantheman

stantheman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/25/11
      Perhaps some people "move on" from Tinnitus Talk is not necessarily because they do not need the support any longer because they have "habituated", "gotten better" or T is not longer an issue in their lives but rather they find there are no answers. No cures. No effective therapies or remedies and not likely to be anytime soon. Just gave up. Plain hopeless.

23. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Reminds me of a line in The Shawshank Redemption - "time to either get busy livin' or get busy dyin'" Personally, I find the former much more appealing than the latter.

24. khayla

khayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2015
      hi! i'm 13 and about three months ago i noticed a ringing in my right ear when i was trying to sleep. it doesn't bother me throughout the day, because i can only really hear it when i'm in dead silence or like at night when i'm in bed. it gets really annoying and i have no idea why i have it? like it came out of nowhere and i don't listen to loud music or anything. do you think it will go away? like i'm still really young and have a lot of my life ahead of me so i'm really scared

25. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Kayla,
      Try not be scared duck and try keep calm as that can make your tinnitus sound louder.
      It has every chance of going as time is a great healer.
      Let your head of the year know at school so you can have any extra support around exam time and help in lessons if need it.
      I would ask your doctor check your ears .
      Keep posting for support ....lots of love glynis x

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark007

Mark007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hello everyone. i havent been on here in a few years and i cant wait to share with you what has changed. im in univeristy right now and im very busy with studying (usual :) ) anyways im working on writing an update with my tinnitus and my progress so far.

talk to you all soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Michael Calbera
      Inspired

Michael Calbera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting
      how it is going mark :) keep update

28. Elliot
      Depressed

Elliot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headset?
      I also suffer from the above, the doctor also said that I grind my teeth while I sleep and I should be getting a night guard for when I sleep. did the night guard help with ur T at all?