Will There Be a Treatment for Chronic Hearing Loss within the Next Decade?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cam Cam, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Cam Cam

Cam Cam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It got me thinking lately. I still think it's somewhat 20 years away but who knows haha

2. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Well this company you can read about on the Research page called Frequency Therapeutics has some pretty exciting, though as far as I can tell unproven, stuff on the horizon. Strangely enough at this point I'd trade tinnitus for hearing loss. I'm sure I'd be able to actually sleep with hearing loss as opposed to EEEEEEEE 24/7.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      5-10 years is successful in clinical trials

• Like Like x 2
    5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      After reading this comment from professor Heller from Stanford I am not so hopeful anymore. 100 Years is not in our lifetime and could just as well be never.
      http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/18/technology-that-can-help-millions-with-hearing-loss.html
      quote: "Heller expects that progress will be step-by-step. First, diagnostics will greatly improve over the next few decades, followed by breakthroughs in hearing aids and cochlear implants, drugs and maybe gene therapy. It's not clear which will come first, and it could take as long as 100 years, but chances are, the deaf and hard of hearing will have many more options than they do now."

But than there is Frequency Therapeutics that paints a completely different picture (in my opinion).
      As we know they are talking about the first clinical trials in 12-18 months. Already GeneVec is in a first clinical trial.
      I can not make sense of this anymore.
      We are depending on press releases that make something that is very complex, understandable.

6. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      In other articles he is saying that he believes his team can cure hearing loss in 5-10 years ;)

7. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      How can we make sense of that?
      But thanks for pointing that out. When I read his quote, my day was not a happy one.
      I regard professor Heller as one of the top researchers.

I am still trying to not let things like that influence my mood. I have not yet succeeded.
      A good thing is that it works both ways. The resent Frequency Therapeutics press releases make me more positive.