Will Tinnitus from Sound Damage Worsen or Spike Even If I Don't Expose Myself to Harmful Sounds?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Freeatlast, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      Hi,

I am a young man from Scandinavia in the mid 20s and have had tinnitus for three months due to loud noise exposure over time by iPhone earphones.

Tinnitus has gone from being all kind of different loud piiiiip eee or hissing noises to become a mild hiisss and eee sound.

But still I am now deeply worried after reading a post from Dr Bruce Hubbard (psychologist) in this forum who wrote that tinnitus can worsen over time? This has ruined my hope that you can ever get habituated for me or that I will ever get well again.

Is it correct that tinnitus from sound damage worsens or spikes even if I do not expose myself to harmful sounds again? Or is hope all gone and I'm stuck in misery for the rest of my life?

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It can sometimes worsen spontaneously for no obvious reason, but you shouldn't think of it as "yeah that'll surely happen to me". You don't know if it'll happen to you. Consider it a good sign that your tinnitus has already gone down and become mild. You should really feel good about that, this good progress doesn't happen to everybody.

Avoid loud noises, protect your hearing where needed, if you get new medications, do a little check on the ototoxicity profile, try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, etc.

Besides that, accepting the fact that ultimately life is pretty much out of our control is important. Any of us can, for example, have a terminal disease creeping into our lives or have an unexpected accident waiting around the next corner.

It's such a cliché but try to enjoy today and not worry about tomorrow.

Worrying-does-not-empty-tomorrow-of-its-troubles.Corrie-Ten-Moom-quote.jpg

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Freeatlast

I have had tinnitus fo 21 years which was caused by sound exposure (headphones). It got worse in 2008 due to further noise exposure and has improved and habituated for the second time. It is my belief that when tinnitus is caused by exposure to loud noise, it doesn't get worse providing you are not exposed to further loud noise or listening to music through headphones even at low volume. Some people with noise induced tinnitus return to using headphones without any adverse effects. However, I think it is risky and advise that they shouldn't.

Relax and try not to worry I don't believe your tinnitus will get worse providing you follow the advice that I've given above. Use sound enrichment at night by using a sound machine by your bedside. Read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis, As I see it. Click on the links below.

Please keep away from reading negative posts on tinnitus, and try not to get involved with negative thinking people on the forum, who believe tinnitus is a lifelong distressing condition, that no one can habituate to and a person is unable lead a fulfilling life as this isn't the case. It is negative thinking about tinnitus that prevents some people from habituating, don't give into it. Please read my post: Positivity and Tinnitus in the link below.

All the best
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/positivity-and-tinnitus.12060/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      Thank you very much, Marrku. Its a pleasure to get an answer from someone with experience. I also wish to know if "head noise" is what the most common outcome of T for you and many others here? My T started high at my right ear and quickly moved to the left ear after some days, and has since occupied the head. Is this "normal"?

5. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      My tinnitus is in both ears. "Head noise" is not uncommon either.

You may find the below of interest.

This one is from our last year's survey:

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 15.42.21.png

And this one is taken from a survey we ran several years back:

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 15.43.05.png

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      Great statistics. Do you got any studies or statistics regarding recovery from tinnitus from different sources?

7. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm afraid we're lacking information in this area. Our 2016 survey touched on tinnitus causes (see image at the bottom), and we also inquired what treatments people had tried and how helpful people thought they were.

The full survey results are here if you'd like to see: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-hub-talk-survey-results.14295/

It is something that interests both me and @Steve a lot.

What we'd like to do is have surveys with people coming to Tinnitus Talk (initial survey could ask about their tinnitus cause, take their current Tinnitus Functional Index score, etc) and then follow up on them over a period of time, to find out what kind of treatments they have tried (if any), and how their tinnitus progresses over time.

To that end, we actually acquired a license to use TFI.

A huge majority of our visitors visit, sometimes stay for a bit and then drop off. Following up on this demographic especially interests us (while naturally we also want to follow up on our active members as well).

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 16.02.08.png

• Like Like x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      Update: I have had tinnitus for 6 month now, and has somehow got to accept this condition to bother me for the rest of my life. The T has improved abit, the eeeee has gotten lower compared with the 1 month of beginning. He who said or is sayin T isnt permanent or has good chances to recover is lying to them selfs