Winter Storm in the Northeast Causing a Spike in My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael17, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Michael17
      Alienated

Michael17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

Hope those of you on Tinnitus Talk in the NE are faring well during this weekend's winter storm (or blizzard in some locations like mine on Lond Island).

I have been dealing with tinnitus now for just over one year. Making some progress in my habituation journey, thanks to the posts from so many of you on Tinnitus Talk. I haven't gone through a storm like today's (wind over 50 mph and barometric pressure falling off a cliff) while having tinnitus. My tinnitus this morning is spiking pretty bad. I was wondering how others have learned to acclimate to these types of storms with regard to their tinnitus (and moving south to warmer climates right now just isn't an option :(

Thanks and stay warm,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      @Michael17, my country also got hit with a serious snow storm for around a week now. I don't know if it's the cold or something, but unfortunately I also have a spike where most of my sounds (multi-tonal mild tinnitus) feel very elevated compared to what they usually are. And I never had spikes like this or from any sounds. :(

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael17
      Alienated

Michael17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, yes that is what I am experiencing too.

Have you tried anything to bring down the spike? Sudafed takes the edge off a bit for me.

4. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      @Michael17, well, I also have nose congestion on and off for many months since summer, but I have not looked into allergies yet. Maybe it's some special blood tests? Every time I went to an ENT (many many times), they found nothing at my ears, nose or throat, nor brought up any allergy related thing. I'm a bit hesitant to use pharmaceuticals if there's no need as well.

These days I have added more Magnesium Citrate per day (up to 300 mg), Zinc and Vitamin C in addition to Ginkgo Biloba and Vitamin D I was already taking every day. Not that any supplement I've tried ever worked in my 10 month tinnitus journey, but one can only hope...

The last months I was also doing a very careful diet with no fast food, almost no salt, no sugar, healthy fats and lots of fruit/vegetables. Also, 95% of time at home. And still I am in a not so good situation right now. Oh well. :(

Only one thing I need to sort out very soon is my earwax, since I know my ears are full of it from a previous ENT visit. Hopefully the next few days and see what happens.

5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Wind is still a trigger on my tinnitus and hyperacusis. I stay inside when it's more then just windy out. If I HAVE to go out, I wear both earplugs, earbags, a thick scarf around my head and a jacket with a hood. That protects quite a lot, though not sufficient in a storm. My ears are VERY wind sensitive, after getting tinnitus and hyperacusis about 5 years ago.

I hope your spike will go down again. We are also in the midst of a storm where I am at, and I stay safely inside.

• Hug Hug x 1