Withdrawal From Zoloft

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa Robinson, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Merry christmas!

I was on my tablets for 5 weeks but side effects was awful made me feel worse than before I went on them.

I come off them cold turkey about two and half weeks ago and not sure what I'm getting is withdrawal?

sleep problems
      Brain zaps, tingling scalp and hot body.
      Anxiety higher than ever
      Tired
      Heavy eyes
      Crying
      Thoughts of ending life
      Paranoia, Scared I'm dying
      Derealization
      Itchy
      Tension and headace
      Heavy stretched jaw

What has anyone else got? Can it take longer than two weeks to go back to normal? I'm worried I have something else wrong with me :( doctors saw my list and say its emotional anxiety :/ but they always put it on to anxiety.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Pretty much everything ive heard about Zoloft is bad side effects. Ive read about depersonalization and derelization. Sounds horrible. And it is usually a product of anxiety. The best way to ease the symptoms is to ignore them and it should go away. Anxiety has many side effects and pretty much all of those on your list are listed as products of anxiety and depression. There is probably nothing seriously wrong with you that threatens your life. If you can find a way to lower your anxiety things should get better. Exercise is a good way to reduce anxiety. It takes you mind off things and it cleans your body from compunds responsible for anxiety. If you feel like you can do this its great. And try to make it a habbit. You wont get results over night, but in the long rund you will feel much better. It might be difficult at first, but when it becomes a habbit its much easier.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Quitting cold turkey can be pretty brutal. It is suggested you come off over a 3 week period which you really should have done. You could potentially go back on them briefly then taper off properly but I'm not sure it would help at this stage. Probably best discuss that with a doctor. There has been talk of withdrawal lasting for several weeks so there is a good chance it will get better by itself though I'm sure it must be horrendous to live with at the minute.

Keep believing that every day will be better than the last and you will get there. Also don't think through your problems looking for answers. There are no answers. The more you can distract yourself by keeping busy with other activities the lower the anxiety will be. It's very hard but you can do it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. adrian_london
      English

adrian_london Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably from clubbing in the 90's - loud music maybe
      Abrupt withdrawal from most benzo's or sleeping tablets may cause abrupt withdrawal syndrome I believe. There are websites that use the key word benzo ( short name for most sleepers) that explain why people get the above - as well as protracted withdrawal syndrome for a while - even once off the involuntary addictive benzo's.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I just feel so achy and worse I felt better before them to be truthful. I feel like I have a cold. Derealization is really bad I am constantly wondering who I am and what I'm doing and why are we here and freaking myself out. Argh.

6. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      I've been on zoloft since September and apart from some bad side effects for the first ten days or so i've been trouble free with it. My mood is a lot happier than it was back then, whether that is down to the zoloft or not i am not sure.

Seems some people on here have had a really bad time with it though.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Was better before these but doctors hand them out like smarties. They never check blood pressure or a blood test even. Could even be allergic to anything in the tablets but they Never check.

Worrying is the not head sensation :( 3 weeks I haven't taken them on Sunday. withdrawal still possible?

8. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Despite hundreds of millions of people suffering worldwide, the lack of understanding of mental health is frightening. It's not the doctors' fault as individuals, but something has certainly gone wrong.
      Yes. Try not to dwell upon it right now. Let a few days go by and re-assess.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      But itchy skin and hot sensation that's normal with anxiety and withdrawal? :(

10. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @Lisa Robinson Yes, it could purely be the anxiety and nothing to do with the withdrawal. It's very hard to say. Do you think you gave the Zoloft long enough?

Maybe give it a bit longer to see if things improve or trial another SSRI. I know it can be difficult to find one that works for you but there are many options so please don't lose hope.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Optician told me to get off zoloft because apparently slowing my eye muscles down. I can't focus quickly or more than one object at a time without it taking a few seconds. She said at my age my eyes shouldn't be slow. There is improvements being off them but itchy hot skin is annoying me keep having hot flashes too.

12. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @Lisa Robinson It could have just been the initial start-up effects which can sometimes take many months to subside. It's hard to say but it's good to hear you are making some improvements. Please keep us updated with your progress.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Been feeling awful keep crying. Worried that these symptoms could be Ms :(

14. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      It is unlikely that you have MS but it is a natural thought for people with GAD (worst case scenario thinking and all that.) In fact I remember having the very same thoughts when my GAD first became a problem. If you spend too much time Googling things you quickly have all of the worse diseases, or so you begin to believe.

Depending on what country you live in, you could have an MRI to put your mind at rest, though I wouldn't really recommend it unless you have any actual symptoms. Anxiety is a beast and I suspect you are stuck in its grasp at the minute.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Thank you for being an honest person and not judging. :)

I didn't have a lot of issue untill my anxiety got worse and came of these tablets. Doctor next month wants to put me on more meds :(

16. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @Lisa Robinson Maybe it's worth trying more meds. It's so difficult to know what to do for the best. Do you know what your doctor wants you to try next? I would suggest you give it a couple more weeks, in which time you will hopefully be making some improvement. Try to keep active and busy as best as you can. I know the anxiety is always there lurking in the background because I feel it as well, but if you dwell on it, you let it win. Try to push it to one side while focusing on something meaningful to preoccupy yourself.

Of course if that fails I would definitely try the medication that the doctor recommends. I know 5 weeks is a long time when you're not feeling well but this is the earliest you are likely to benefit from an SSRI. I'd recommend a run of at least 12 weeks unless the side effects make it unattainable.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I've been in zoloft and citalopram and haven't had good side effects with them both. I was on zoloft for 3 years then come off them for 8 months. I thought I was better. Then went back on them for 5 weeks and came off cold Turkey, before I never came off cold turkey.

My legs feel so restless and ache when I relax.

18. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Hi Lisa,

Everything you say...I can almost relate to. I'm over my T but I have major anxiety and depression and my mind focus itself on everything!!!! My breathing, blinking of my eyes, my own tongue for christ sake. The doctor gave me oxazepam and when I take one it realy helps (I only take one when I feel real bad). But if I take one...the next day I wake up with extreme anxiety and depression. My legs feel warm and my back and arm also. If feel tired.... and just do not want to get out of bed. Besides T there is nothing wrong with me. I had a problem with some dentalwork that was done and that has been fixed, but now I am in panicmode almost 24/7 for about 4 weeks. Symptoms come and go and the things you describe realy look like anxiety symptoms. I even also thought I had MS because I can feel my tongue all the time. Doctor told me it is part of anxiety disorder and next week I can finaly go to a therapist to perhaps get CBT or something.
      Your body can do the weirdest things when your in panicmode. If I feel it now I just lay down and wait for it to go away. I try NOT to use meds and if it is realy bad I take the oxazepam, but when I do that the next day I wake up is horrible. So either way...if I do not take them I feel bad, and if I take it I feel good for 10 hours and after that I get it back fullforce.

When my T started in 2013 I didn't take anything and the first months were horrible but eventualy I came out of it without meds. So I guess your body has to reset itself or adjust is someway and that will not happen over night.

So I just try to sit it out. Working is not an option at the moment and teaching at my gym also not because I just do not have the energie anymore for it because of the anxiety. This it a Tinnitus forum, but I think we all experience this anxiety problem one way or another.

19. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @Lisa Robinson So do you think the Zoloft was helping first time round?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Yeah took 3 weeks where as this time 5 weeks and still wasn't helping.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Does anyone else get pins and needles more frequently ? Is this part of anxiety?

22. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @Lisa Robinson Not personally but it is listed as a common symptom of anxiety. Most common for me is palpitations followed by some level of insomnia. I suppose it affects everyone differently but pins and needles certainly seems likely to be a physical consequence of anxiety. Are you feeling no improvement from a few days ago?

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Kind of inproved still anxious though and deralization :( keep worrying if I have ms or some other illness :(just feel sad a lot.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      It's the thinking too much that makes us sad. If we could break the negative thought process we would free ourselves of depression, regardless of how many problems we had. Easier said than done though.

25. SickoMicko
      Arsewit

SickoMicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection or the medication to cure it.
      Lisa, I take Zoloft and Welburtrin, and sometimes in the early morning when my condition is at it worst, I take a half of a .5mg Valium. Sounds like a lot of medication and I've never been a pill taker( other then vitamins), but without what I'm taking I would be a mess. Your doctor should be asking you how you are doing with different strengths of each medication, then tweet them until you find the right balance. We're all different with different tolerances. Very rarely do you get lucky and hit the right balance out the gate. I not promoting over medication, but they've kept me on an even keel. And I'm also trying to habituate. Good luck hope all goes well for you. Mick

26. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cold turkeying of ADs can cause these physical and mental symptoms you are describing. A slow taper is usually suggested because of this. I had a myriad of symptoms when I didn't take Trazadone for one night (I wanted to drink for New Year's), and I regretted it. I felt like I had the flu for three days. I will try the Trazadone taper slow, like 3 grams a month slow. I take .75 Trazadone now. I had successfully tapered and stopped Ambien, so I have some experience with tapering. Perhaps you can resume the Zoloft and see if the symptoms go away after a few days, and then try a slow taper. By the way, doctors will tell you you could rapidly taper, don't believe it.

• Creative Creative x 1
    27. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      I tapered off Zoloft (Sertraline), and the last pill was a month ago and I'm still hit with side-effects. Tinnitus may or may not be one of them.

28. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Thanks everyone..I am at 75 mg of Zoloft.. 8 weeks total on the drug ...Ain't doing shit.>Also tried it like 15 years ago..And sexual side effects kicked in after a few days...Gonna taper......