Woke Up at 2 am to a Very Loud Spike and I'm Scared

Discussion in 'Support' started by myrottndog, Oct 10, 2018.

1. myrottndog

myrottndog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I have had tinnitus for one month. I have read a few books and am working on daily meditation, diet change etc. Of course sleeping is a challenge but I have had success by using a masking app as I fall asleep.

Last night I fell asleep okay but woke up at 2:00am to very loud tinnitus. Much louder than I have experienced so far. It calmed down in about 2 hours and I was able to go back to sleep.

Was back at baseline this morning. Of course I am very apprehensive about going to sleep tonight.

All POSITIVE words of advise are very welcome and appreciated. Bless us all.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Hi there, in my first year of tinnitus...my Tinnitus went up and down in volume (sometimes going away for weeks then come back despite constant protection), others I've read are the same way. Your body is healing and your tinnitus is being erratic before it settles on to baseline (mine did after 8 months). Hopefully yours will go away completely, but don't worry if it is coming and going. Eventually it will quiet down and continue to fade.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      myrottndog

myrottndog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Coffee for kind words of encouragement. I will hold onto those dearly.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Dont be scared. Face it with courage.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Hi Tinnitus got a mind of it own , do different things . But always go back to baseline. . Try stay away from loud noise.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      myrottndog

myrottndog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you John Adams
      I will take that to heart. XO

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      myrottndog

myrottndog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Rajin. I can deal with baseline ;)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Waking up at certain times during the night can often trigger a spike for me that can go through the following day. I suspect it’s something to do with REM. Good sleep means very low, stable T for me with pretty much no hyperacusis. Bad sleep = spike with more hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I see that your tinnitus cause is listed as unknown. Have you considered getting your neck checked out?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      myrottndog

myrottndog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have. They think it started after a bad earache 2 months ago.

11. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I woke up around 5 am once and the t was screaming. I was probably up until 3 0r 4. I went back to sleep as quickly as I could, with masking, hoping it would improve. Luckily when I got up it had settled down for the most part.

I've noticed that sometimes when the t gets louder it's about to get quieter. Perhaps the same happens for you too.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I know you're going to have better luck tonight.

• Like Like x 1
    12. marc 1974 london

marc 1974 london Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise i think ? stress
      Yeah it’s pants when that happens as your reaction is just pure shock & anxiety..

Just remember to try not to involve emotions or reactions... tough at 2am but you can

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      myrottndog

myrottndog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For me the anxiety is way worse than the loud buzzing. I am doing a lot of meditation. Happy to say I have survived and back at baseline today. Thank you for the kind words.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I’m glad to read it went back down for you - good people on here to support you if you need it. You will be ok :huganimation:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      This use to happen to me a lot, but it would fade back after a minute or so, keep investigating what might be causing your tinnitus. I'd recommend getting a blood test done too, check your thyroid levels and insulin etc

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      myrottndog

myrottndog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you. I have had all the bloodwork including endocrine. I think this started with a severe ear ache 2 months ago.

17. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Was your hearing affected?

18. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Yesss this is exactly me. Wake up at the right time and I will have mild tinnitus, a bad time and it will be moderate.

19. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi @myrottndog. Oh this happened to me a lot back in the beginning stages. Sometimes that noise in my brain would actually knock me out of bed. It was not a pleasant experience. So glad you are back to your normal base line and using meditation. That helped me a lot and still does.

Use it tonight when you go to bed. Clear your "thoughts" and guide yourself into calmness. For me it was imagining and visualizing being on a sail boat in the early morning. Hearing the lapping of the water against the small boat. Feeling the warmth of the sun on my face. Gliding slowly over the water....

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      myrottndog

myrottndog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wonderful visual! I also use a sound app with a rain/waves mode. Will combine with visual. Pleasant dreams!

21. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Excellent. It takes practice @myrottndog but it is so amazing when you can really relax the bedtime anxiety.

22. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had that happen to me before. Woke up in the middle of the night with extremely loud T, then went back to bed and it was at it's normal level in the morning. As long as it goes back to baseline you'll probably be okay.

Have you ever tried one of those sleep cycle alarm clocks? I have no idea how effective they are, but if you experience this a lot it might be interesting to experiment with.

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      Hello,

Yes, this sometimes happens to me when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (middle-aged man syndrome :)). It's difficult because I would finally get to sleep using a white noise app, and then my body wakes me up 3-4 hours later because I have to pee, so it pisses (pun intended) me off.

When I go back to bed, it's like my T is on volume 10 and I find it very difficult to go back to sleep. Sometimes I can't, and I get up and go downstairs and basically start my day early. Other times, I just try to relax, breathe deep, and hopefully pass out. It's a struggle, but I find that I am coping with it better, even if I can't get back to sleep. Not the end of the world. I even get stuff done I've been putting off since no one else in the house is up and interrupting me!

Anyway, you'll figure out the best method, and as others have said, yours is in the acute phase and maybe there is a chance things will go way down and it won't bother you anymore.

Best of luck.

24. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Perfect example of this was Saturday night and Sunday. Saturday I played PS4 most of the day and too long to be honest, i found it hard to switch off from it, I had a rubbish night's sleep so on Sunday my tinnitus which is a like a white noise hiss was a jangly mess (best way I can describe it). Sunday night I made sure I relaxed and had a much better sleep. Tinnitus this morning now back to a smooth hiss, the jangly bit is there but it's only noticeable in silence and it's quieter than if I sleep badly.

I am thinking to try one of those sleep clocks.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hey Sam, mine does often the same, so i try to always sleep as good as possible:D Also mine sounds similar, a hissing with some whistling over it. Did your T fade over time?

26. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Hi Deamon, it's not a whistle noise, it's just a really soft hum kinda noise. My tinnitus has always been the same since I got it. Most days mild but can be moderate some days. Only my sleep cycle seems to have an effect on it.

27. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Oh ok. If mine doesn´t fade I hope at least it stays at this level:D

28. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      And we have Susan Shore's device to look forward to (hopefully). :)

29. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thats correct. I have high hopes in this bimodal stimulation, since different groups all seem to get good results (Michigan, Minnesota, Neuromod). So altough i don´t think it will be something like a cure, maybe it´s the first step to a reliable treatmen. Very exciting.

30. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Maybe we can get one of these things within the next century.