Worried About MRI and Acoustic Neuroma

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa 99, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Lisa 99

Lisa 99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m waiting for a MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma following 6 weeks of dizziness, headaches, tinnitus and hyperacusis. My tinnitus has been with me for most of my life but has got much worse following microsuction for impacted ear wax.

The hyperacusis and dizziness is a new symptom.

I’ve done a lot of research and really worried about an acoustic neuroma. My hearing loss seems to be bilateral. I think my tinnitus is tonal (following online test).

Does anyone relate to this? Has anybody who has similar symptoms turned out to have an acoustic neuroma following an MRI?

Many thanks.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's a routine test that is generally done when the hearing loss is unilateral. It's rare enough to discover an AN when the hearing loss is unilateral, I can't imagine the odds are anything but very small if the hearing loss is bilateral.

Doing the MRI can make you feel better if you feel anxious about it. The odds are clearly stacked in your favor here, but you never know: extremely unlucky people do exist.

I did the MRI because I had right side only losses. No AN found.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa 99

Lisa 99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Greg. It’s such a worry at the moment. I can’t tell if my T is worse because of the anxiety or if I’m anxious because it’s got louder. Over the years ive managed to habituate the noise but it’s taken my life over at the moment. I hope the MRI will be clear and I can stop worrying. Lisa

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Lisa 99,
      Acustic Neuromas are slow growing none cancerous tumours.

Try not to worry as it could well be due to a inner ear problem.
      Take ear plugs with you to pop under the head set and just go with the flow and let them take care of you and look into everything.
      Most acustic Neuromas are just monitored and no action taken.
      Labyrinthitus, Hydrops or Meniere's could be the problem and by doing tests they can rule out any issues.

love glynis x

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa 99

Lisa 99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Glynis. Good advice!

• Hug Hug x 1