Worsening High-Frequency Hearing After Acoustic Trauma

Discussion in 'Support' started by Blue28, May 22, 2017.

1. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Ok, so I sustained an acoustic trauma just over a year ago (feel free to read my Introduce Me post), and got tinnitus and hyperacusis and hearing loss in the days following the trauma. I had a hearing test and it revealed a steep notch in my hearing at 12khz in both ears (50-55db). My hearing in the lower frequencies was under 20 dbhl (it was 20dbhl in one ear and 5dbhl in other at 8khz).

I've had constant pressure in both my ears since the trauma and pain too. The hissing of my tinnitus is unreal, and it screaches all day long (and night). I'm taking NAC, magnesium, Vit B12, Ginkgo Biloba, Vit C, Zinc and a few other vitamines. I haven't exposed myself to loud noise, except the everyday unforseen noise from things where I haven't had my plugs in (daughter crying for instance), and now my recent audiogram. My new audiogram revealed a steeper notch at 12khz (now 65dbhl) and also worsening of high frequencies under 8khz (at 8khz one ear has gone from 5dbhl to 15dbhl and the other has gone from 20dbhl to 30dbhl). The other high frequencies have all decreased by around 10db too). Now, having had my hearing tested a few days ago I have more pressure and hissing, and I'm afraid that things will continue to go downhill fast. I've decided to take prednisone for several days to try to combat the effects of the hearing test.

I use ear plugs or muffs in loud environments (restaurants is as loud as it gets for me now), and when I use my vaccum cleaner etc. I'm really worried that due to the acoustic trauma my hearing will continue to deteriorate at an accelerated pace, I don't know what else I can do to stop this. The worry of the hearing loss accompanied by tinnitus, fullness, pressure and pain is taking over my life. I'm terrified.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The general consensus among audiological professionals is actually that existing damage does not predispose people to further damage. That is controversial on here, and lots of people disagree with that idea pretty violently for a number of reasons. However, the best we can really say based on the data is that in general people who suffer some loss following a single trauma, do not develop a progressively worsening problem right off the bat. On the other hand, it's inescapable that our hearing deteriorates with age, as do all of our senses and body systems.

That said -- it sounds like you're doing everything you can to protect yourself, and that your anxiety, fear of the future and resulting state of mind has as much to do with the misery you're experiencing now as the actual hearing loss you have right now.

You can't actually do anything about your hearing loss: you had the trauma, you hurt your ears, that's done.

Nerve related issues can show recovery over a timeframe where muscular issues just don't; rule of thumb is something like 7 years. I have a sibling who completely blasted their ears at a metal concert and had unilateral near-deafness for over a year. He did eventually recover a lot of the hearing he'd "lost" (and the crazy SOB still won't wear earplugs at shows, but that's another story).

I read your introduction; it's worth noting that high-frequency hearing is pretty tricky to accurately assess, and since this is generally not tested, it's also difficult to say to what extent the damage noted at those frequencies even relates to the suctioning you had done. But, again, that's water under the bridge now.

I'm not a doctor or a counselor, but pragmatically it seems like the best thing you can do is everything in your power to reduce your anxiety level and try to get yourself out of fight-or-flight mode. Is it correct to assume you're spending most of your waking time thinking about this, worrying about it and probably not sleeping very well as a result? The best thing you can do for yourself is probably to focus on good sleep, good diet, and stress reduction practices. I'm a big fan of meditation, yoga and chi kung -- but everyone has to find their own path, none of these things are magical or one-size-fits-all.

Do you have a good support network in the real world? You've probably got a bit of an uphill battle in front of you; as always the best mantra is "if you're going through hell, keep going".

• Like Like x 7
    3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I'd doubt that ears damage more quickly after a single event. What is likely however, is that as you lose a bit of hearing when you dont have much left - its scarier and causes a harsher psychological response. A good analogy is how your dog doesn't panic when you dont give him the first bite of your food - but when you only have 3-4 bites left they're staring pretty intently at you waiting for their taste.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you @linearb for your encouraging response. You are right, I constantly think of my hearing issues, cant help it as it's all very disabling.

It was definately the suction that caused the damage, tinnitus came on within 24 hours but I had a fullness in my ears straight after the procedure (wish I'd know then what I know now). The procedure was seriously loud, I just didn't expect that a ENT procedure could cause damage. I've since read a study on the internet that states the suction can reach 147db at peak level! I know it was over 120db as I had physical pain during the procedure, but I didn't realise what it was. The hearing loss was abrupt, within several days I could no longer hear birds tweeting in the early hours of the morning, and the cars going past my house sounded like they were miles away. They used to sound like they were driving through my room. Also my HD TV stopped sounding good, it was like turning the radio from FM to MW :-( I have to concentrate now to hear quiet sounds in my home, that were so obvious before the trauma. So I know it was definately the microsuction that did the damage. I cannot stress enough that people should be careful when chosing this method of wax removal. Or maybe I was just really unlucky with the ENT?

On a positive note, the sun was shining today so I took my 2 year old daughter out on the bike this afternoon. A nice cycle ride in the country helped take my mind off things for an hour or so.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Things just keep going from bad to worse, I don't know what to do anymore.

After being submitted to the hearing test, my tinnitus seemed louder and my hearing worse. Now earlier this evening I was playing with my toddler when she squealed loudly, not near my ear but in the same room, and the noise went right through me. After this I had a high pitched fleeting tinnitus noise in my ear and now, a few hours after, I have another high pitched whine to cope with. There's also pain in my ear. I've taken some steroids, as I'm afraid that this new tone will be permanent. I will take them for the next few days. I only have enough to do 3-4 days though, I hope this will be enough.

I now feel like my hearing is so damaged that any loud noise is going to make matters worse. I can't even live a semi-normal life (as normal as it gets with T, H &HL), even playing with my child is almost impossible. I feel like I have to wear plugs at all times, just in case.

How do I cope?

• Hug Hug x 4
    6. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I hope that you can somehow get through to your brother, someway that you can make him understand the risks.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have not heard that, and I've asked a handful of audiologists and neurotologists. The answer I most often get is "I don't know, there haven't been any studies on that." I'm just wondering where this general consensus is coming from.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would do that, if I were you. It is not a big deal. You can hear people talk when you were earplugs. You will get used to it. At the same time, make sure you don't wear them 24/7. I tried that, and I got an irritation on my eardrum.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Consider asking your husband to vacuum. I find my vacuum still sounds loud, even when I wear my Peltor muffs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Blue, I had a loud syringing / ear cleaning with a high level of noise being placed in my ears and all the other stuff happening to you. My hearing was comparable to yours as well. This was the first time that I get T & H. The H went away after 1.5 years and the T did settle down to a buzz at 3 -3.5 years where I was able to move on with my life. I placed my mind on other things. If you are young, nerve recovery may happen quicker. Besides trying to focus away from my tinnitus, vitamin water squeezed lemonade that I started to drink at year 3 - with no additional salt and sugar seemed to help a lot.

Yes - Protecting your ears from now on is important. A couple of months ago, I let my guard down and attained more noise damage. Now, I'm in a worse place compared to the first time. Plus I'm in my 60's now.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your replies/support @Bill Bauer, @Greg Sacramento, I've not had a good sleep...worry and 60mg of prednisone before bed probably haven't helped at all but needs must. I'm not sure whether to take another 60mg this morning, or maybe space it throughout the day as I only took the first dose around 8 hours ago?

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I found amitriptyline (10 mg) to be helpful when it comes to sleep. It is non-addictive, and didn't make me feel drowsy the next morning.

My doctor also prescribed 60 mg prednisone per day. He didn't say anything about spreading it out throughout the day, and it didn't occur for me to do that when I was still taking it. It sounds like this way more will get absorbed, and there might be less shock to your body. The downside is that taking it closer to your bedtime may interfere with your sleep. I wouldn't worry about taking the second dose significantly less than 24 hours after the first dose.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Very sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time @Blue28. I can only suggest if you haven't tried it already is clonazepam. I have it on prescription and haven't taken it in months. However, my tinnitus was very loud and intrusive over the weekend and had to take it and it calmed down considerably. Please see your GP or ENT doctor and maybe they can prescrible something to help you even if it's a temporary relief that gives you some time to get yourself together.
      Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    14. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you taking the Prednisone because of your sound increase from just having a new audiogram? Some do take prednisone just after a noise trauma.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @Bill Bauer, I think I'll take 20mg this morning and then the rest later today.

Isn't Amitriptyline ototoxic? I suppose that LOTS of drugs on the market are ototoxic. I take gabapentin before bed, could I take both?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I took 40mg of prednisone after my audiogram for 3 days, just to be safe. That was a week ago. But since my daughter squealed last night I'm terrified so took 60mg straight after. I'm considering taking it for 3-4 days.

When I had my acoustic trauma, I could get an appt to see the ENT for a week...so started the steroids 8 days in. If I'd had them earlier they may have helped more. Who knows? I wasn't aware of the urgency when I called for an appt, and neither it seems was the receptionist...

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Damn! You are right, I see that it is in
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf

I believe the reason I took it is because of the study I learned about from
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/amitriptyline.19191/#post-221876
      and from
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...in-the-treatment-of-subjective-tinnitus.5170/

Some comments in those threads are not very positive.

I got lucky and it didn't lead to any spikes.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the brochure, makes for an interesting read.

Does anyone have any info on nerve repair following acoustic trauma etc... I'm desperate to find something positive to hold on to.

My HL drops from -20db @ 8khz to -65db @12khz, it was fairly sudden after the trauma :(

19. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everyone is different, but it seem that both you and I had joining seats in the same stadium. Your history matches mine. If you had loud syringing directly to the ears, nerve damage is there. So you need to be careful on what meds or drugs that you take. Oxygen should not be cut off to your ears. Good circulation is needed. If you are young or middle aged, then much of your nerve damage should heal. From my prior research the healing can take years. I was told 2- 3 years for some healing for me.

Acoustic trauma from syringing is a whole different ballgame from other acoustic traumas. Just having audio testing, or sounds placed at the ear will often give one a spike for those that had syringing as their cause of T and H. Your spike should disappear. A few days ago, I provided a medical professional link where researchers advised not having sounds or ear testing for those that had acoustic trauma from direct contact to hears until the nerves heal.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry you had this happen to you too @Greg Sacramento, mine was through microsuction and of course the doctors don't believe me. It's ruining my life (I have a 3 yr old...this happened when she was 20 months old). Thank you for the information about the nerve repair, I'll still cling on to a glimmer of hope that things might get a little better.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have seen this but haven't read all if it...I'm going to. Thank you @Bill Bauer.

Thanks @Greg Sacramento, I read this in the early days, and am sure I suffered ASD, unfortunately I also got extensive hearing loss in the ultra high frequencies too (plus some high frequency loss). How have you recovered/coped since your trauma?

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I recovered somewhat from the syringing ASD, but a few weeks ago, I was exposed to drill noise at the dentist. I now have a loud high pitch in both ears.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh and they did the acoustic reflex test on me, despite me telling them I had tinnitus and hyperacusis. I refused to do the loudness discomfort level test!

• Like Like x 1
    26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is shocking that they offered to do these tests despite your history. It shows that there was no thinking involved on their part...

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely you just have a spike. You should return to baseline. That was good to refuse the loudness discomfort level test.

I'm signing out for tonight, give your 3 year old a hug from me. Send me a private conversation anytime.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      I got Clonazepam/rivotril. I am taking this for two weeks, no effects unfortunately.
      Maybe you can try something for the day, low dosage. Goodluck, I know how hard it is.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately most docs won't prescribe rivotril here, only neurologists will prescribe it and only for epilepsy. So I can't even try it, but I doubt it'd help anyway.