Worst Tinnitus Spike — Caused by Doxycyclline or Sleeping Position?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinnitus_2010, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Tinnitus_2010

Tinnitus_2010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      penicillin shot
      I have had tinnitus since 2010. During this period I've had numerous spikes which have lasted for a week or two.

I am not sure what triggered this one but it is worse than it was originally. I am able to sleep which is good but my anxiety is killing me. I've had two hearing tests and all shows I have good hearing and my ears look healthy per the ENT doctor.

I am not sure if it was the Doxycycline or my sleeping position. I woke up from laying on the couch and my ears had this full feeling and sensitivity to sound. A few days after that I got this spike.

Has anyone experienced this and how long did your spike last?

I need some words of encouragement and support.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Welcome!

Firstly, I'm glad to hear your sleeping is in good order. This is, as I'm sure you're aware, a big help in terms of keeping things stable and your body in good condition. It may or may not help the anxiety, but poor sleep is almost sure to exacerbate it to some extent.

According to the ATA list of ototoxic chemicals and substances, Doxycycline is indeed listed on there as potentially ototoxic. However, that doesn't mean with certainty it was the cause of your spike or has caused any major damage. It is something to be aware of though.

Given that you've had spikes that have come and go before, it's likely that unless you've had some major trauma or damage done recently, you shouldn't be facing on that is chronic.

I wish I could offer you more than comfort and hopeful wishes. Others here on the forum should be able to reply with their ideas as well. I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinnitus_2010

Tinnitus_2010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      penicillin shot
      Thank you so much for the response. I believe it isn't the Doxycycline because i have taken it numerous times and didn't have any issues. However, I am not sure what caused my ears to have the full feeling which subsided the next day.

4. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Hi @Tinnitus_2010,

Right I need to tell you this loud and clear - My tinnitus was caused by Doxycycline.

DO NOT TAKE IT!

I had used Doxycycline many times before, but then I was put on it for 6 months. In the first weeks I was taking it, I started experiencing lots of fleeting tinnitus (the sort that comes and quickly disappears). However, one day after six months of being on the drug, I woke up to loud permanent tinnitus that I still suffer with a year on.

I spoke to a top neurologist - not about my tinnitus but it came up in conversation, and I told him how I developed it, to which he replied: "Yes of course. Doxycycline is extremely ototoxic to the ears, although they try and play it down that it isn't".

Also if you read the side effects of Doxycycline, tinnitus is in the list of ten most common side effects of the drug.

So yes, it could be very, very likely your tinnitus was caused by Doxycycline.

My post obviously isn't intended to worry you, I just wish to warn you how ototoxic Doxycycline is. Prior to my tinnitus I was in good shape. I always looked after my ears, never went to loud places, and worked in historic buildings - so very quiet. Doxycycline destroyed my ears, and you will find other posts on here from people with the same experience.

I wasn't taking any other medication at the time. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I'm not stressed. In fact, the week I developed tinnitus, the days leading up to it, I had been sitting in my study doing a puzzle.

So what I'm trying to say is, there was nothing else to factor in to getting it. It was the Doxycycline.

Anyway, please feel free to ask any questions :)

Best wishes,
      Steph

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinnitus_2010

Tinnitus_2010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      penicillin shot
      Hi @Steph1710,

I have taken Doxycycline and tolerated it well. I had spikes which lasted a couple of weeks. My ENT said my spike could have been from grinding my teeth. I woke up with ear pain and full ear feeling which subsided the next morning. I don't know what else to believe at this point. I just hope this spike isn't permanent.

Also how are you coping with your ringing? Someone said it takes 9 months for the side effects to reverse and your tinnitus to return back to baseline.