Would Hearing Aids Improve My Situation?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Meemers, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Meemers

Meemers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus came on suddenly accompanied by partial hearing loss in one ear. I was told that a hearing aid would make a difference. Has anyone found that to be true?

2. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Hearing loss and hidden hearing loss is one of the many concepts of tinnitus development. It can apply to some patients - and not to many others.
      There are two theories:
      1) After cochlear damage, the bored neurons get something to do again and do not send tinnitus to the brain.
      2) Amplification of normal ambient noise distracts from tinnitus.

The interest in this topic is low here in the forum:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-have-you-tried-hearing-aids-for-tinnitus-therapy.25454/

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My hearing aids do help so if Audiology think one would help you give it a go...
      Love glynis

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I think it might. It helps me get rid of the noticiability of some of my tinnitus. The best thing to do is go to a place that lets you try a hearing aid for free and see if it helps. If you really want to get the best, get an extended audiogram - one that measures to at least 12khz (you will probably have to call around to find a place that does it) and then try a hearing aid out that can be programmed to 12khz such as the Signia 7px or 7nx. Do not get a 6khz hearing aid and if possible don't try to settle with a 8khz aid.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't know of any good predictor. The only way to find out is to give it a try.

6. MartinH
      Angry

MartinH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows?
      Mine got ordered yesterday. resound linx2 I believe. I guess they do about everything all controlled by iphone. Who'd a thunk it.

Could anyone with experience say if the improvements are immediate or does it take a while?

7. Stephanie72

Stephanie72 Member

@MartinH

How are you doing with the aids? Do they help with masking and making the t less noticeable? Do you have hearing loss as well. I only have a very tiny bit at high frequencies. I’ve not even had this for 2 weeks and I’m going crazy. Just wondering if you find them helpful.