Would You Go to a Live Show ('The League of Gentleman') at the Apollo in London?

Discussion in 'Support' started by spikedears, Sep 28, 2018.

1. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Hello everyone,

I have a dilemma.

My wife and I have had tickets to see the 'League of Gentleman' live show at the Apollo in London since Christmas.

The show is tonight.

I do not know whether to go or not and feel anxious about the possible noise and venue.

For those not aware of the 'League of Gentleman', it will be a live comedy sketch show.

This sort of thing:

The League of Gentlemen - SSE Arena

I would look to wear earplugs, but still scared and wondering whether it is worth it.

Let me know what you would do...!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would say it depends on how you get on wearing noise reduction plugs and how you cope with spikes.

love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      thank you @glynis

would you consider this type of show as too risky or too dangerous?

Would you go?

4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      On TripAdvisor, some people complain about the venue acoustics, or about the loudness of the noise - whereas some others find it fine.

These reviews, about sound quality, might be helpful. And those ones may even be more interesting, it lists the reviews where the word "loud" is mentioned.

The first review is quite discouraging:
      (What is Nativity btw? Is it a musical? or a Christmas show?)

I do not know if I would go personally, live music would definitely be a no, but this kind of event does not seem "too risky" - probably still risky though. In any case, if you go there, make sure to wear earplugs.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      IT'S not just the show as like the ones I have been to there are other factors.

It's a funny show so their will be lots and lots of of laughter and cheering all around you and clapping and you just might struggle with all that going on around you aswell,it's going to be really loud and if you have Hyperacusis and tinnitus though Acustic shock then I think it would be better not to go.

We love going to see Jason Manford and he's so funny and I laugh so much at him but my tinnitus was not caused by Acustic shock.

You might struggle badly at this one and better for you to go to a quieter venue.
      love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      You are playing with fire my friend...
      Any indoor (or outdoor) show, that is using big, powerful speakers is a risky proposal, because at any time there is always a chance of some audio malfunction and a subsequent loud unexpected noise such as bang or a feedback... etc.

If you insist on going, definitely wear industrial ear muffs with some 30dB reduction.

7. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
    8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I went to a wedding and I spent the whole time running around in circles cupping my ears and screaming at the dj who just laughed and threw peanuts at my hair. I ended up sitting on the balcony drinking water and refusing to dance. It was an awful experience (but the photos did come out nice).

9. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I went to a wedding reception. Wore musician earplugs, danced during my favorite songs, stepped out to visit with family when a song was too loud to talk. Not all wedding receptions are the same, so I was glad I attended.

Likewise, not all performances are the same even if they are in the same venue. @spikedears did you attend the event?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Hi guys,

No, I didn't go in the end. I drove my wife to the show and had dinner with her beforehand, but missed it.

She was ok with it and told me that while the talking and most of the show wasn't that loud, there were two pyrotechnic explosions at the end and a lot of audience wolf-whilsting nearby.

Sad to have had to miss out, but made the right decision, I reckon.

Thanks for your comments and feedback and support. It really helped me to make an informed decision!

Thanks community!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1