X-Rays Damaging for the Hair Cells?

Discussion in 'Support' started by iAzra, Jul 23, 2018.

1. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      I am scared of any X-ray work such as Orthopan - teeth pictures needed for dentist work (which I am also scared of, you can see how these fears go on and on and stack on each other).

But I wonder - does the dental x-rays damage hair cells in a human ear? I mean, they have to get some radiation when doing Orthopan so... I know meds can be ototoxic, this also looks like otodamaging, or?

Any thoughts?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      One more thing to worry about...

3. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Good question.. i did have some x rays taken at an appointment last November, it didn't change anything with my tinnitus fortunately. No idea whether it can be potentially dangerous though :|

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It is ionizing radiation, so in theory it can damage more than just ear hair cells, but unless you have a high exposure (which shouldn't be the case for dental X-rays), it is deemed relatively safe. See http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/action/radiationandhumans.cfm

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Or you can research, better understand the risk level (see post by @GregCA), and realize that worrying about dental X-rays is unnecessary.

Being aware of this minor potential risk is okay. Worrying about it — having anxiety — is unnecessary.

Of course if you would prefer to worry about a risk at this level, then there are quite a few other radiation risks that you should worry about too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My plan was to assume the worst and then to look into this when I have more time.

I see that a dental X-ray gives one a dose that is equivalent to a dose one receives naturally in one day. It sounds like it ought to be ok. However, I really wish they were to do a scientific study of the effect of dental X-rays on those inner ear hair cells...

• Like Like x 1